Community Television

Yep.

What I’d assumed the plan would have been, would be C31 being a single channel on a DVB-T2 test channel on the unassigned channel (VHF10 in in most capitals), which would also carry some form of other content to entice a second digital switch over^, such as HD simulcasts of multichannels, or new channels.

C31 would then just be transmitted as another multichannel, which would reduce transmission costs, and they would in effect use a fraction of the 7MHz they currently use.

There’s also in theory the ability to use DVB-T2 lite and split one 7MHz channel into four blocks of 1.7MHz, delivering 4Mbps. Then community TV could get 1 of those blocks, and the other three could be used for other purposes - perhaps even DAB+ radio, or giving one block to each of the commercial broadcasters.

I would hope one of the commercial networks would see the value in a community station if neither of those happens. A station that aired a mixture of local news from the network, and programs from the community wouldn’t rate all that well, but would do good for their brand.

^ The extra bandwidth of DVB-T2 and efficencies of either HEVC or MPEG-4 would allow going from 6 multiplexes per market to 3 or 4, allowing a second digital dividend after a restack

2 Likes

Thank you for the answer! So it is possible, they could remain on air - and government could do other things. Why can’t they go down that route - other than wanting to shut down another form of media.

###Additional time for community television broadcasters to complete online transition

The Turnbull Government has announced community television broadcasters will have an additional six months to transition their services to an online-only platform with an extension to their broadcast licences.

In 2014, the Government announced that it would withdraw the use of terrestrial spectrum by CTV broadcasters and provide time and financial support, including up to $450,000 over 2014-15 and 2015-16, to support this transition. This final extension follows an earlier 12 month extension from 31 December 2015 to 31 December 2016.

Following consultation with CTV broadcasters operating terrestrial services, the Government will allow those services that wish to take up the extension until the end of June 2017 to transition their services to an online environment.

The extension, along with the funding already provided, will ensure a smooth transition to online-only delivery for community television broadcasters, their volunteers and audience.

Does that mean most community channels will remain on air until mid 2017? If so would Ch31 drop their planned last week live to air plans?

I think it’s crap that the government have basically pushed r little community tv off the air and for what purpose to claim the spectrum for ? Community tv is still thick very vital for locals. Creates local production and jobs.

I agree and disagree. Of course Community Television creates jobs and gives day to day people the opportunity to share content, however I think in todays environment with the internet, digital channels, streaming etc community television has lost its place. I remember I would occasionally watch Ch31 many years ago because it was one of 5 or 6 channels on TV. It was generally a last resort but it was there. I havn’t seen it in years though (Prob since they dropped FishCam haha). These days with so many extra channels, online content etc are there really that many people watching community TV to make it worthwhile? Probably not. Although shifting them online is definitely putting the nail in the coffin The type of audience that would watch this are not the type that would stream it.

1 Like

Straw man argument, the reason it should continue is ethnically diverse groups, older audiences and the disabled are more likely to be able to watch it via broadcast television. If that argument was true, then strip all networks of licenses. In addition nothing beats real TV broadcasting for those training for work in the industry.

YouTube ≠ television.

perhaps a commercial broadcaster (most likely Seven) could lease some of its MPEG-4 spectrum to the respective community TV stations so that they can stay on air. Cheaper than running a transmitter on its own. Similar deal to what Seven does with racing.com TV. And it will be available all over Melbourne and Geelong not just those who rely on Mt Dandenong or Como transmitters. And perhaps do a deal with Prime7 to carry it in country Victoria to give C31 statewide coverage. Come on Kerry, do it! Seven would make a lot of money out of the leasing costs as they currently do with racing.com TV.

I don’t think C31 could afford the cost that Seven would want in return.

2 Likes

Maybe it would be more attractive to the government to retry the Digital Forty Four model?
Run the community stations on LCN44, include A-PAC, maybe get money off Sky to rebroadcast Sky News?

1 Like

The article says that one of the condition’s of the 6 month extension was ‘not to ask for another extension’

I think the Federal Government has been very rude about this and the article said, if the election went the other way this would never happen the article says.

There is another article from TV Tonight posted in 2014 that sates one of their hit shows Vasili’s Garden rated at 18,000.
Not even some programs on VICELAND get that many viewers.

Their previous 12 month extension also had that condition I believe. They aren’t running a Save Community TV push anymore, but can ask in letters to the minister, which they have done in this case.

Now that they’ve been given yet another deadline extension, I wonder if they will take the opportunity to try and band together a loose community network? Most likely not, but we can dream.

They sort of have that now with the Australian Community Television Alliance

I mean use the ACTA as a consortium to act as the company that is allocated the spectrum by the government, then passes on the spectrum to its member stations. Similar to how the channels of the Digital Forty Four datacast trial in Sydney were owned and operated.

1 Like

They all still act independently though.
Rogue might be a good term.

I think that the autonomy of member stations within a community network would be a crucial factor in the development of community television as it gives each station the freedom to communicate what is necessary for their local market instead of being forced to follow only the networks’ interests.

@Abesty @TelevisionAU @littlegezzybear Do you have any more information on Snowy Mountains Television and HPON? I have a question, does anyone know anything about Snowy Mountains Television? I came across it via a YouTube ident recording and later found your post but I can’t find much information other than its Facebook page, its useless website, and information from OzDigitalTV stating that it transmits from Jinderboine Hill as “SMT-48” to Jindabyne.

I’ve been researching community and local broadcasters and find their stories rather interesting. Any information would be appreciated.

Also, what is a HPON?

It broadcasts on LCN 350 because no one has assigned a LCN eg 5 or 8 to it on the transmitter.

High Powered Open Narrowcasting Service

http://www.acma.gov.au/Industry/Broadcast/Spectrum-for-broadcasting/Radio-and-television-transmitters/open-narrowcasting-overview

Thanks. So it’s a VAST service?