Community Television

When it was still on-air, I think TVS also used to air old black & white content that was very cheap/public domain. Also programing from DWTV Germany (which I thought most community broadcasters have used at some point over the years) and at one point, Al Jazeera English news bulletins.

Anymore*

I do remember there was a youtube video online of a tour at ABC Perth and some american sounding guy said that WTV was mostly Perth based. I found it odd.

And I think you uploaded a video of a program on TVS that was from Nine with a boxy endboard.

If they donā€™t have anything better to show, just chuck a block of BBC World News and fill the rest with cheap and recent programming from somewhere.

WTV also had Cricket Coverage right?

1 Like

Yeah, that was from the 1st day that TVS aired Humphrey repeats in mid-2013.

1 Like

what sort of ā€œcheap and recentā€ programming is there? At least by airing classic titles theyā€™re providing an alternative to the mainstream channels which is part of the reason CTV exists as well apart from the community aspect.

And BBC World News. Yawn.

3 Likes

They arenā€™t airing community content in primetime, even when itā€™s offeredā€¦

3 Likes

i think community tv should reach a lot more then just metro tv by what i been reading chancel 31 melbourne looks like a good station but i wouldnt know since i live in regional victoria and i think just like community radio community tv needs a lot of support :slight_smile:

there have been attempts to extend community TV into regional areas but nothing has been successful

2 Likes

Well at least WTV Perthā€™s live stream works unlike its Melbourne cousin!

He probably means that it should be the same as ABC / SBS where itā€™s one feed for all transmitters in that state. Not separate channels.

Iā€™m pretty sure C31 campaigned at one stage for regional expansion but nothing happened

1 Like

Agree with that. My show Sweet and Sour is one of the few shows left produced in Perth and we are on 10pm (sometimes later), while old american movies get the 8.30,9pm timeslots.

2 Likes

The community television stations and quasi-community television stations with narrowcast licences run by indigenous groups seem to be the ones that have some assurance of long-term survival. Why is it that the metro community stations are continually given a death sentence but the others arenā€™t? The other exception is the Snowy Mountains narrowcast station that seems to be continuing along.

2 Likes

Imparjaā€¦

ICTV is run by Imparja and therefore probably makes the ACMA think they are stableā€¦

Is it for the spectrum? Nope, perhaps have VHF LTE?? I doubt 60-80MHz would be used in the citys so they might as well do something thereā€¦

WTV is not setting the right example for what community TV by the looks of it.

1 Like

ICTV may have been assiciated with Inparja in its initial run, but was that partnership resumed when ICTV was revived back in 2009?

Nope, ICTV is owned by ICTV Limited, a not-for-profit membership based public organisation

Yes I am in a similar situation, not Perth based, but offering top tier community TV content and they offered 3.30am then ā€œaround 10pmā€ after a movie.

Some material from 44 Adelaide:

2 Likes

Funnily enough, C44 is on a Narrowcast licence.

Really?