Community Television

Maybe more polished off Local News and some BBC World News Bulletins if they need fillers.

Naturally all of the content (including the fishing shows) Is made and just broadcast on the channel. C31 are just the broadcaster not the content maker in that sense.
C31 in house production though is what I am referring to, they arenā€™t using the FTA broadcast to their advantage. When they do itā€™s a comedian thatā€™s been on all of their live events for the 100th time trying to get a gig.

A lot of the online content however is more branded short videos, which is fine but based off the engagement of the posts on their social media where they are posted, people arenā€™t interested. The only ones who do are the voulenteers and staff that work at c31 who actually engage with the content.

Itā€™s a real shame because if the right people knew what they were doing 2 years ago, the channel and itā€™s online counterpart would be a real great resource and outlet.
It didnā€™t move with the times and evolve. A lot of time was floundered sending people off on all different directions to try something without a real knowledge of what to doā€¦

1 Like

Paging @SydneyOnAirTV because I reckon that they would be a good asset when It comes to the Graphical Design and suchā€¦

I did like the animated popup graphic that they done in around 2016-2017 for the App.

Tho, I must admit. There are some shows on C31 that do seem to be made on iMovie

Most of the content is made by the community. So yes some would be.

Itā€™s not just the graphical elements Iā€™m referring to.
I mean the direction of how to evolve the channel and make it survive online and on FTA. A lot of time has been wasted and seems only now itā€™s realised what to do which could be too lateā€¦

1 Like

The problem with this is that our core audience hasnā€™t transitioned to digital media outlets like we have, so before we start looking for patrons we need to grow on these profiles first. Itā€™s definitely on our radar though!

We have those roundtable discussions coming up very soon, so fingers crossed that all goes well!

Unfortunately because of our unstable status as a broadcaster, itā€™s hard to put all of our eggs in one basket. The series like Best Five in Five and Community Designs are ā€˜made for webā€™, but still need to be applicable to our TV broadcast too, which limits how crazy we can go with them.

Weā€™re also simply not attracting as many new producers as we used to, again likely to our uncertain status as a broadcaster. Numbers are starting to ramp up again which is nice (weā€™ve got new programs like Walks Around Britain, The Original House of Wax etc. airing soon).

I personally donā€™t think thatā€™s fair, we do have some crossover between hosts for live events, but weā€™ve also have some regular big names too (Aunty Donna, Aaron Gocs, Luis from Lessons with Luis).

Itā€™s important to realise that this organisation was founded around television broadcast, itā€™s a pretty big jump to suddenly be told ā€˜go onlineā€™ when your core audience is purely on TV. I honestly think the organisation has done quite well to move so rapidly in this direction, and now that weā€™ve been through this period of trial and error, Iā€™m positive weā€™ll come out with something great to show of it.

1 Like

While I understand what youā€™re saying, the period the organisation was told to move online, there wasnā€™t any set direction and people were more invested in their pet projects and a lot of things that were done to assist this move kept hitting roadblocks and lack of knowledge of the online space and what content viewers want.

With the Best 5 in 5, I understand the objective of this, however when you look at the viewing figures for the content, people arenā€™t engaging with it. My point is this exactly it doesnā€™t drive viewership, yet they still are being produced 2 years later from when they started.

I regards to the live events yes they are all quality talent, but it is the same people involved/presenting the ā€œeventsā€ who are still on air today and the more newer talent seem to have close ties with people within and organisation and trying to give them a platform.

So while I appreciate the hard effort going in, and Itā€™s great they have fresh blood there who are passionate like yourself and itā€™s great youā€™re so heavily involved. My point moreso is that organisation should be well ahead of where it is now and itā€™s not which is due to the failings of the process over the 4 years since the governments decsion.

Look I still have a very keen interest in the space and since and looking in from the outside as a ā€œviewerā€ now nothing much has changed over the last few years. Nothing content wise that engages me in wanting to watch whether it be on Facebook, instagram or the broadcast.
That is what really will determine the existence and growth of C31 if it survies. It really needs to change, because I canā€™t really see the government seeing it as much of the asset that it is. Purely due to lack of evolution over all of these extensions they have granted.

Anyway congrats on all of your work @MitchellC31 it seems like youā€™re doing an awesome job! And I really hope and wish all of the success to you guys heading into this year and hope for some evolution in content (outside of the standard producers pool) that really hits the mark and that C31 continues to prosper. :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s disappointing to hear, Iā€™m only a fairly recent hire (coming up on 1 year now) so things mustā€™ve changed considerably since then - Even still, itā€™s a right shame you had that experience

I think this goes back to the uncertain broadcaster status though, we donā€™t have many comedians coming through the doors anymore (unlike back in the day with About Tonight) - Weā€™re constantly trying new initiatives to bring this back to life, but these all take time unfortunately

This has me curious, what content would you like to see us making? This is the question Iā€™m trying to put forward to everyone this year, because itā€™s important that we get feedback on what weā€™re doing, and what you want to see from us in the future!

Personally, I want something like this - But Iā€™m pretty sure my Technical Coordinator would murder me if I brought that amount of milk within a 5km radius of our studio.

<3 - Thanks dude :slight_smile:

And most of the big comic shows are produced by RMITV or outside productions, not C31 itself anyway. About Tonight was the last big show that C31 pioneered, as you mentioned.

1 Like

@TVHead ā€™m not speaking of comedy shows and I am aware of About Tonight. Iā€™m speaking of the live coverage shows they do, they are all presented by comedians. I know most of the night comedy shows came out of RMITV

@MitchellC31 that looks like fun! But yes! No liquids in the studio haha
To be honest I would love to see them do a twice a week news panel show similar to The Project, Focusing on a mix of topics, news, opinions, events but all with a more local Melbourne community vibe. It would be ready to get RMIT involved (assuming they still have a relationship with C31) or any of the universities as internships to form the research/production and shooting. Would be able to do crosses to live events from the studio and also guest appearances in the studio also.
There are a lot of possibilities.

It has to make sense form RMITVā€™s POV as well, into the future RMITV canā€™t be totally Melbourne centric (especially in its flagship program) if it wants it content to be consumed online. It has a news satire panel show called The Leak that focuses on national and international news.

1 Like

I think youā€™ve pointed that comment to the wrong person? I havenā€™t mentioned anything about comedy shows? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I imagine you got along quite well with everyone hereā€¦

Yep, we still have a strong relationship with RMIT(V), problem is thatā€™s a very big commitment for anyone to undertake, and with such limited resources already (i.e only one studio instead of the 5+ that most commercial networks have) itā€™s a pretty big ask. That being said, Iā€™ll pass on the suggestion to my higher-ups and see what they want to do with it :slight_smile:

100% spot on, itā€™s time to look past just the Melbourne and Geelong areas!

While we wait for the next possible licence extension, UniSA and 44 Adelaide have announced a new ā€œcollaborative agreementā€:

The strategic partnership will deliver more hands-on training opportunities to budding media professionals in South Australia and bring more locally made content to screens across the state.

The collaboration will see increased placement opportunities both on set and in the office for UniSA students studying communication, journalism, media, web development, marketing, film and TV.

Students will have the opportunity to work on C44 TV and digital content productions, including the shows FringeWatch and Adelaide Community Diary, as well as UniSA-produced shows such as SA Sports Show and Our Time.

Recognising the important role that community broadcasters play in supporting the creative industries and artists of tomorrow, UniSA has signed on as a Channel 44 sponsor as part of the agreement.

ā€œWith so much media content available to us, itā€™s more important than ever to see South Australian stories and events represented on our screens,ā€ says Professor Jason Bainbridge, Head of UniSAā€™s School of Creative Industries.

More: Channel 44 and UniSA to provide greater opportunities to young South Australians - News and events - University of South Australia

5 Likes

Early Jan on hols in Melb, loved the seemingly repeats of the show that visited local wineries.

Another local show on architecture seemed a better choice than more BBL that always seemed to be on when returning home for the day.

In other cities, local journalism students within semester used to present news bulletins, is/can that be done?

1 Like

Newsline does this from RMIT

1 Like

WTV Perth are airing practically only films and commercial content (Diagnosis Murder etc) in primetime. Surely this is a breach of community ACMA rules?

44 Adelaide and 31 Melbourne do a great job of focusing on community content, WTV doesnā€™t seem interested.

Theyā€™re allowed to screen that type of content but itā€™s possibly a concern if itā€™s filling the schedule. Maybe put in feedback to ACMA?

1 Like

Itā€™s because there is next to no staff at the station in Perth. Itā€™s a real shame when you have Adelaide and Melbourne trying to show the relevance of the service and you have Perth who donā€™t seem to give a crap and drag that down. Not a good look for the sector with them acting rogue.

8 Likes

To be fair Iā€™ve looked at the WTV programme schedule and they do have some community programmes (most of them aired on C31 years ago) but have noticed them playing films (one upcoming film is Walt Disneyā€™s Bambi - how did they get the rights to that as Disney programming is usually seen on either Seven or Ten). They must have got shows such as Dick Van Dyke, Beverly Hillbillies, Diagnosis Murder (recently aired on One) and Skippy fairly cheap.

1 Like

Channel 31 in Melbourne used to run classic shows like I Love Lucy (as part of its former Renaissance TV programming block but still ran some of these shows after RTV folded) and even now I think theyā€™re still showing old black and white movies in the morningsā€¦ Stuff thatā€™s probably very cheap and public domain.

1 Like