Community Television

No. They have a Temporary Community Television Broadcasting License - same as WTV, but unlike C31 Melbourne which have a permanent license.

1 Like

Technically itā€™s a permanent licence but that leaves a lot to be desiredā€¦

The special conditions state:

1. The transmitter operating under this licence may be used only to provide a transmission in standard definition digital mode of an open narrowcasting television service for community and educational non-profit purposes.

Last year I told you about the TV Show I produce for community Television, Sweet and Sour. Well, last night we returned for 2018. This year is significant as we are celebrating 20 years, which, AFAIK, Makes us Australiaā€™s longest running community TV Show. We also debuted a new GFX Package, designed in part by @MichaelPower and then modified by me.

Our first episode is below. Please be kind, Iā€™m aware there are a few issues. But I still think its decentā€¦

5 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure that In Pit Lane has been going longer.

In Pit Lane started in 1996 on Optus, then moved to C31 in 1998.

On Localvision which was community TV (cable access).

1 Like

Fair enough. Hadnt heard of In Pit Lane to be honest. But we are still the only show to be produced entirely by students :slight_smile:

This was a great initiative of Optus who had different owners at the time. Refreshing to see their investment in community content.

Imagine what could be achieved today if Optus invested in digital community content with a comparative budget.

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if we see KCTV on Optus any time soon :joy::joy:

Quiz Night is better

It might be better but itā€™s no Karaoke Kangaroo

Those were the daysā€¦

YouTube: FlemishDog

2 Likes

Some six years after terrestrial community TV was meant to shut down in the first place.

Vale TVS and 31 Digital, for your deaths were in vain

9 Likes

Press Release from C31.

Jesus, they keep giving them extensions - they may as well let them keep their licenses at this rate and I think they should.

11 Likes

For 6 years of extensions you can pretty well surmise that there really no reason to take their licences off them

3 Likes

My bet is their best argument for ditching CTV is thwarted by a lack of plan to reallocate the spectrum they occupy

1 Like

Iā€™m surprised the telcos havenā€™t started lining up to get a slice of the community TV spectrum, given it penetrates buildings pretty well.

If anything this decision reflects more on the indecision of Communications Minister Mitch Fifield.

Theyā€™re just flogging a dead horse by keeping the channel on-air. :man_facepalming:

Wrong frequencies for telcos. They would want higher UHF channels.

And pity that just about everyone that has replaced their TV antennas in recent times in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth have gone for VHF only. Thereby denying the community stations some of their audience.

1 Like