Community Radio

Thanks. I suspect whoever is programming Bridge FM on Saturday was around when FM104 ruled Brisbane in the 80s. There are a few dead giveaway tracks there - songs that were quintessential FM104 tracks, namely:

Rumbleseat / JCM
So Much For Love / Venetians
Beats So Lonely / Charlie Sexton
The World Seems Difficult / Mental as Anything
First We Take Manhattan / Jennifer Warnes
Day by Day / Hooters
In the Mood / Robert Plant
When the Generals Talk / Midnight Oil

This could have been an actual FM104 playlist from the mid- to late-80s

3 Likes

Their overall playlist is pretty good too, though I have most of the tracks in Sumo FM.

3 Likes

Sydney has a good weekly 80s program in SWR 99.9’s “Awesome 80s” at 4-8pm Saturdays.

You can see the log here, and compare it with Bridge FM’s 80s show: SWR Triple 9 playlist

I’ve discovered just yesterday that 2BACR 100.9 in Bankstown also has an 80s program on a Saturday night called “Rock of the 80s”, which airs at 6-9pm.

6 Likes

Maybe if you didn’t block people from your social media sites and stopped bullying people into submission, then there wouldn’t be such an issue.

2 Likes

Everything else aside, this is such a bizarre statement. Your web stream represents your station, your organisation and therefore your community just as much as an FM broadcast does - hell, given the timesharing agreement, I’d argue the web stream is even more important to demonstrate your group can make a service viable.

5 Likes

Nice to see so many are interested in the Harmony FM licence, I would be a little worried if we were never mentioned. We will continue getting this great station out there to the Hawkesbury Seniors and later the Sydney Seniors hopefully. Playing the best of the 50s, 60s and 70s.

1 Like

Delusional, the stereotype of an insular community station

3 Likes

@Graham_Webb or others in the know.
Has Harmony FM updated its RDS since it was implemented?
Last reported here in MediaSpy or in the RDS List with:-
Station Name (PS): DB64-FM
Radio Text (RT): DB64-FM Digital Audio Processor
PTY as undefined
& PI code with FFFF (this happily forced 2SER to correct & change their PI code)

As to a couple of other community stations north & south of Sydney. Is there anyone
from either 94.1 Pulse FM Wollongong or 94.1 Today’s Country Gosford reading this forum? One of the above station’s need to change their PI code from same code of 2941. On the weekend I was near the east coast & I could receive at different times RDS from both stations, but the same PI code confused the radio. I received the PS of Today’s Country & RT from The Pulse & other such silly things. Surely one of the above stations can have their tech resolve this or talk with each other?

2 Likes

Hi Ozbark,

Just to let you know, Ray Burgess broadcasts live every Thursday and Friday afternoon from 1.30pm on local radio 90.1 NBC FM from Kogarah.

2 Likes

Appears very strange on the weekend you received a signal from Harmony. Harmony only broadcasts, and are only permitted to broadcast on a Wednesday. Strange indeed.

1 Like

<Sigh…> :astonished:
Please read the post again.
Where does it say I received Harmony FM on the weekend? I didn’t…
The only indirect reference to time was the past.
And the only reference to last weekend was in relation to PulseFM & Today’s Country on 94.1FM.
The post in relation to Harmony FM was related to RDS. [Radio Data System]
Graham if you don’t understand what RDS is then I kindly request that you communicate with your other committee members or volunteers who handle the electronics of your station…then there’s also Google & Youtube :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I have logged multiple times when the transmitter for Harmony has been on during other station broadcasts, do you know if your tech is aware of this? It only seems to be on for short periods of time.

My final comment on this is to turn your radio on on Wednesday and look at the your screen and tune to 89.9 then you have your answer. I wish you well.

I don’t understand why your been so obtuse on this, no-one is going to want to be a part of your station if you have this mentally about you…

I have worked in community radio for a while now and the attitude from Harmony FM as a whole is not inducing of good community involvement, especially if your not open to advice or constructive criticism.

3 Likes

You are involved with another station going for the same licence in the same area. Everyone can clearly see why you are commenting. Our community involvement is immense and we are always working with the community, your criticism falls on deaf ears. I will let you in a secret ACMA does not take notice of rubbish being bandied around in social media. Anyway good luck with your station.

1 Like

I currently work with Starter FM, Hawkesbury Radio and Hawkesbury Gold, I have no issue working with people who are willing to be worked with, this was not the experience I have gotten from Harmony FM!

2 Likes

Wow, If I lived in the Hawkesbury and have a potential interest in broadcasting on Community Radio. I would not be going any of them after what I read

2 Likes

yeah not a great look is it?

Yes, Not a great look at all

I feel you, unfortunately the amount of infighting that has been done from all parties, except for Starter FM (As we never did get a license) has marred the community radio spirit in area.