Radio Data System (RDS)

interesting to see a car mp3 transmitter with RDS!

3 Likes

For those interested, BACR RDS has returned this morning. Same RDS settings as yesterday. The Mono L+R part of MPX spectrum looks normal this morning, but the audio level is reduced, perhaps so they can easily test the RDS? The 19kHz stereo pilot is suppressed somewhat below normal levels, but RDS 57kHz level looks good.

Good idea for user too. Makes it easy to find their channel. And for dxers to easily identify & thus ignore those mystery, distracting & time wasting MP3 vehicle FM transmissions…

Although it is quite an interesting pursuit in itself. I agree that it’s distracting during an Es opening though, as their fleeting signals aren’t unlike genuine Es signals!

1 Like

Exactly. That’s the point I was making, without specifically mentioning Es.

2BACR back to normal programming. Unsurprisingly RDS gone (again).
Seams like they either have at least a back up TX &/or FM exciter with RDS.
MPX spectrums are completely different as was power output & bandwidth earlier today.

1 Like

The following is a follow-up/on to the discussion about Harmony FM 89.9 from the Community Radio forum.

Okay…
During my travels today I happened to catch RDS from Harmony FM.
Pleased to report that they have updated some of their RDS :grinning:

(New) RDS PS: Harmony FM
(New) RDS RT: Harmony FM - Music You Love
(Unchanged) RDS PI: FFFF
PTY: ?

Not sure why no one reported on their RDS changes earlier, but with the station only on air on Wednesdays opportunities for us are limited I guess.

2 Likes

Isn’t that too long?

I thought it could only be 8 characters.

1 Like

Oh Gosh. Yes

I hadn’t finished my coffee. It shows - lol.
I’m glad someone’s awake :grinning:

RDS PS should just be: Harmony

1 Like

I saw that Hawkesbury Radio as well has RDS.
I didn’t get the full scrolling RDS RT but the RDS PS is HAWK89.9

So all Hawkesbury stations have RDS:
River FM
HAWKGOLD
HAWK89.9
HARMONY
WHCR899

5 Likes

Good to see The Hawk now has RDS. There had been discussions about having it for years but nothing eventuated.

4 Likes

Thanks, Hawkesbury Radio, being the only one of those 4 that uses the pre-existing 750 watt TX as run by them when 2VTR, is the only one of those that has reasonable reception where I am, so will try for RDS on that.

3 Likes

Licenced for 750 watts but they only use half of that. Well, they were when I was there. Might have changed since then.

3 Likes

The bandwidth of the station has definitely widened & other MPX changes.
Seams like a stronger signal. Suspect the RDS will be easier to decode compared
to the other TCBL’s on 89.9

UPDATE: Although there’s a stereo pilot, the audio appears to be mono.

Yes great that they now have RDS. Will make it easier for listeners in the area (with a RDS radio) to determine which of the 4 broadcasters they are listening too, if they can’t remember the transmission schedules of each broadcaster, that alone must be confusing for many occasional listeners. The implementation of RDS for all of the Hawkesbury TCBL’s would have seamed to be a necessity or a no brainer to reduce confusion. That said RDS implementation does take time, effort & money.

Took the opportunity to update our group’s RDS List. Can see all the RT messages there.
Thanks to @TheChase for initial post :+1:

Had a giggle listening to Norman Gunston’s - ‘Kiss Army’ on the Hawkesbury Radio earlier this morning.

2 Likes

Receiving the new RDS for Hawkesbury Radio at my location it displays:
Hawk89.9
Scrolling. Text; Song Request Text Line - 0427 899899
Studio Hotline 45899899
The ORIGINAL Hawkesbury Radio 89.9fm serving the community for over 40 years!

I wonder if they are using a new transmitter now they are running RDS. Signal is by far the strongest of all the aspirants it is causing some splatter onto 2NBC.

Stereo pilot but audio is mono.

3 Likes

Was that the case previously?
I can’t remember.
Either way the tech still has some work to do with the MPX signal with the encoder or transmitter.

Also the RDS RT messages are updating too fast, especially when you consider BER.
Hopefully improvements ahead.

Full stereo, signal was weaker before But I have realigned my fm antenna since.
Bandwidth seems to be wider as it is causing splatter on 90.1 2NBC which it did not do in the past.

1 Like

Yes. I now measure at a wide 250kHz

Found this on both Hawkesbury Radio’s webpage & Facebook page.

Exciting news at Hawkesbury Radio!

We have upgraded our FM audio processing system which means not only will we sound better, our signal will be louder in those areas with poor signal.

Also, we now broadcast our Station name and some other messages which can be seen on Modern FM radios and newer car radios (RDS).

If you see these messages on your radio, please send us a photo to our Facebook Page 🙂

Have a wonderful day!

2 Likes

How fast are they updating, generally you want the RDS encoder to update/change RT no faster than every 10 seconds, this allows for receivers to receive 2 consecutive transmissions of the same data, because in weak signal areas, the data received in the first transmission may be partially corrupt or too corrupt to decode, give the receiver 2 or more & the data can most times be decoded successfully, even when signal is poor.

If I have one or more lines of RT, I generally limit it to 43 characters per line, & run it for 20 seconds before changing, this way it doesn’t scroll on most car radio screens, & 20 seconds allows for at least 2 full data transmissions of the entire line, & gives a radio with a smaller screen the time to scroll the entire line at least once, but generally twice.

5 Likes

89.9 Hawkesbury Radio are updating every 10 seconds. And looking at the Grp 2A (RT) data they are providing 2 consecutive transmissions of the same data.

Exactly :+1:
Personally I think updating RT every 10 seconds is too frequent both in terms of a frequent display update distraction and for reason you mentioned re RT corruption decode due to poor signal or marginal reception for whatever reason. Personally if I were to program RT I’d use a minimum update of every 30 seconds. Commercial broadcasters use less frequent RT updates (more repeat cycles of same RT) generally - I think this works better for end user.

Good.

There’s no Australian RDS configuration standards/rules or Australian RDS configuration guidelines out there. I think there should be. Certainly there’s some CBAA members that could do with some instructional courses on teaching about RDS & how to best to configure it. Most common beef by end users seams to be bad use & implementation of dynamic PS by community broadcasters. The SCA techs & most commercial broadcasters implement their RDS well from observations.

Anyway just my 2 cents worth :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Down at the border this weekend and it appears 100.9 ZZZ FM does not have RDS working at the moment. That or it’s really struggling to get out.

By contrast can get the RDS fine on the Mullumbimby relay of Radio 97 right up at Coolangatta.

5 Likes