Community Radio

1197AM is still dead air in Brisbane, almost two months since it was first observed to be off. Even for a community station with a DAB+ alternative that’s a long time for your primary TX to be out of action

Even there Facebook is gone, they have seriously gone to crap since the rebrand from Switch 1197 :frowning:

1 Like

Yep, and the website still tells you to tune into 1197AM. Apparently it can be heard all the way to the Gold Coast and Ipswich, just not in the same suburb as the transmitter :joy:

Meanwhile, can anyone confirm WTF is with www.switch1197.com?

They’re using the name, but it’s not a radio station, but it is promoting radio in Australia … ???

2 Likes

how do they still have a licence?

1 Like

I was going to post something about licence conditions in the Broadcasting Services Act, namely the requirement that the licensee remain a ‘suitable licensee’, which (although not tested) should arguably be contingent on continuing to provide a service.

1 Like

WOW FM 100.7 back to feeble transmitter power levels tonight.

SYN in Melbourne will combine its FM and DAB+ stations into one from Monday, dropping the SYN Nation stream launched in April 2014

This will mean that only two community stations in Melbourne offer streams on DAB+ that regularly differ from their FM broadcasts. LightDigital, which complements a separate simulcast of 89.9 LightFM; and 3MBS Digital, which operates a daily opt-out schedule.

Additionally, PBS on DAB+ currently opts-out for their new announcers’ training program Cross Pollinate for an hour each Thursday. IRIS Melbourne closed in January 2016, simulcasting Vision Australia Radio’s 1179AM service. 3CR, 3KND, 3RRR and 3ZZZ have, to my knowledge, never offered such a stream.

4 Likes

New community station of sorts in the North Burnett, west of Bundaberg:

https://radioinfo.com.au/news/wide-bayburnett-area-has-new-radio-station

1 Like

Why does their logo say TheRiver.com when that is not even their website??

2 Likes

Their streaming rates are pretty insane!

700 MB per hour is about 4-5 times the size of an iTunes download or high quality Spotify stream, and even more than a WAV file or CD!

Is that really useful or necessary for radio?

3 Likes

Anyone interested in community radio might be interested in the series Broadcast Radio Australia produced by C31 in Melbourne. Each episode profiles a different community radio station.

First episode covered 3CR:

Other episodes have covered Joy 94.9, Southern FM, PBS, Vision Australia Radio, 3ZZZ and 3RRR

2 Likes

Can anyone in Brisbane please confirm for me if 1197AM (Brisbane Youth Radio) is actually broadcasting terrestrially currently? Thanks.

2 Likes

Still dead air on 1197. Has also disappeared from Digital muiltiplex.

2 Likes

Still on air for me. DAB+

1 Like

You’re right - I did a re-scan and found it - had been labelled BYR but now is 1197.

3 Likes

A-ha - this can be confusing for some of the radios that don’t update.

The handheld Sony DAB+ radio I have allows you to select the station under the previous name and then it updates when it tunes it in. Good example has been 4TAB 2 > 4TAB -4IP EASTER > 4TAB 2 @4TAB-1008kHz

I love that radio!

As for 1197 - I wish them well and hope all is ok, at least they’re on air via DAB+, the lack of publicly available information to communicate to their audience and clients is not best practice.

2 Likes

Bring back Switch.

1 Like

Thank you for your assistance guys :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was listening to vision on AM in brisbane yesterday and heard a promo advising listenersthat if they have bluetooth in the car they can hook there mobile up and listen via the vision app.

first time i’ve heard a station advertising this

2 Likes