Community Radio

Crow FM Wondai/South Burnett (2hrs north of Toowoomba or west of Noosa for those a long way away) has a translator at the Tarong mine. FM 96.5.

I discovered this looking at the sponsor list here:

1 Like

A community radio announcer this afternoon on 2NSB Chatswood

“Time now for a weather update. As I’ve been in the studio for the last couple of hours, I can’t see what’s happening outside but in that time anything can happen. But as I look at my computer screen, I can see clouds, so I guess it means it must be cloudy”.

That gave me a good laugh for some reason :rofl:

7 Likes

Anyone know why Perth’s Capital 101.7 doesn’t broadcast from Bickley along with the rest of the Perth wide community stations RTRFM, 6EBA, Sonshine, Curtin and Noongar? Licened for 10kW it’s only out at 5kW.

Their format is too close to Curtin. Shame the frequency is not being used for a youth/dance type station along the lines of what Groove was.

2 Likes

I never knew there was a community station called Capital.

Brilliant name for a station - especially community radio! (Yes, I know it exists overseas)

2 Likes

I think Capital would be an excellent name for a radio station in Canberra (yes, I’m aware that it was once a TV station name in Canberra - worked well for that too IMO), not so sure about anywhere else in Australia.

2 Likes

If I ever get an LPON licence down that way, I’ll consider it :wink: . I also like the name ‘Brindabella FM’.

Not forgetting, of course, the Capital Radio Network (2CA, 2GN, 2XL, etc.)

3 Likes

Yes 2CA and all the other network stations mention “from the Capital Radio Network” to headline their news bulletins.

1 Like

It seems the 1197AM signal has recommenced broadcasting in the last couple of days. Heard it tonight coming in down towards the Gold Coast as well. Station was IDing as ‘1197 AM’ and playing a mix of music

Anyway, good to see they’re back on the analogue airwaves

5 Likes

Cracking signal too. Best it’s sounded in years.

Great to hear them back!

2 Likes

Did you ‘consult’ on this restoration?

It’s possible… along with another who shall remain nameless…
I try to lend a hand when I’m able to. It’s nice to be nice. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s great @4TAB-1008kHz, generous of whoever can assist.

When you see the results that 4AK return then think of the many more choices in metro for youth, I’m impressed the community station has the money to keep the power up to the site let alone problems like this.

2 Likes

Any word of a rebrand??

I believe “1197 AM” is the re-brand - dropping the “Brisbane Youth Radio” name.

1 Like

That is great to hear!

Bring back i1197.

Is the music still 80’s to now?

Mostly - it’s a mixture depending on the source of program. There is times where joint-programming is created with USQ Springfield’s online ‘Phoenix Radio’ and Ipswich’s online ‘West Bremer Radio’ - most notably during the weekdays.

3 Likes

2NUR has a new station manager. Who was the previous station manager and when did they finish?

The Flerieu Peninsula (Victor Harbour / Goolwa) is certainly well served for community radio.

I was down there today, and had a bit of a listen to all three. All in stereo and sounded good and could all be received across both towns.

5EFM 89.3 “Flerieu FM” - Victor Harbour
5GSFM 90.1 “Happy FM” - Victor Harbour
5ALX 96.3 “Alex FM” - Goolwa.

1 Like

Article on 2SSR’s new antenna:

I’ve noticed a considerably improved signal strength with 2SSR at my location.

4 Likes

Yeah, the 2SSR reception seems to be better in this location than it used to be (previously so weak that it wasn’t uncommon to recieve Rhema Newcastle on 99.7 during tropo to Sydney) but obviously not being in the core listening area, the signal isn’t as strong as those of some other suburban community stations.

With the new transmitter, I wonder if they’ve now got or are planning to get RDS? :slight_smile:

2 Likes