CNN

Are they iconic? I guess those are the graphics they used for the Trump era so when people look back on It they may think of them as iconic but personally, I don’t. I much prefer the graphics they had in the 2000s as opposed to the current set even if those 2000s graphics would be deemed “too busy” for 2023.

They feel quite aged now though and I’m not a big fan of CNN’s tendency to use a narrow font to jam as much text into their lower thirds as they can.

I’m glad they’ve ditched the need to surround the presenter with text that they used heavily during COVID

Since they sacked Cuomo, it’s lacked energy - I get he’s not everyones cup of tea, but it’s clear he gave primetime a real lift.

2 Likes

Oh yeah I don’t disagree there, if they had made the lower third a lot smaller in height then it might’ve looked better even with the same amount of text (but it not being such a narrow font)

Time for a change though

hopefully a new font is in order too - CNN Sans is a really horrible font

2 Likes

Be great if we got it in HD on Foxtel too.

1 Like

Yeah that’s my opinion. Some hold up the current CNN graphics as timeless, but I think the lower thirds look somewhat grungy and boxy. The look is recognisable, I will give it that. But as much as it pains me to say it, Fox News has a cleaner and friendlier on-air look.

IMO the look CNN Domestic had around 2012 was much more stylish.

And nothing tops the 2006 subtitle graphics for CNN International. Clean, functional and sleek.

5 Likes

I loved the CNN 2012 graphics. Should’ve kept it a bit longer

Not sure of the likelihood, it’s a subtle way to make Fox News look “better”

some would say style over substance.

It’s official: Overtime, the extension of Real Time with Bill Maher which aired on the program’s YT page, is moving to CNN this week. It will air during the last half hour of the 11pm CNN Tonight hour.

2 Likes

Off-air trouble at CNN This Morning over Don Lemon’s behavior… I know this is the NY Post, but there’s clearly something going on since other ‘‘insiders’’ reported stuff as well.

At the same time, Chris Licht wants to bring Gayle King over to the network to be the centerpiece of a 60 Minutes-style newsmagazine show:

1 Like

He’s always been a drama queen and not the most arresting anchor IMO anyway.

2 Likes

Seems like it’s now not a question of if but when Kaitlan Collins departs the show (if not potentially CNN entirely) as a result of Lemon’s alleged behaviour towards her.

1 Like

Lemon was flat at rude to Kaitlan on air. If it’s his expectation that he shouldn’t be interrupted, then he should be moved off the show or adapt to having two co-anchors.

It’s currently the lowest rating morning show. His unjustified arrogance is a turn off.

1 Like

I don’t think she’ll bail. They are supposedly long time ‘friends’.

Lemon needs to check himself. He shouldn’t be sitting in the middle. The dynamic is off.

1 Like

There were reports that Lemon wasnt happy about sharing the spotlight as well.

A couple of the promos the trio filmed prior to the show starting had a real weird vibe too

2 Likes

you referring to this one?

https://twitter.com/CNNPR/status/1583119313980256256

1 Like

In my opinion, Lemon should be going. Not her.

4 Likes

If the reporting is accurate, I agree. However, I don’t think that’s what will happen.

1 Like

Chris Licht hasn’t still settled on a definitive plan for CNN prime time content. Dylan Byers is reporting for Puck, however, that it might be eventually closed to being inched. The plans is to drop the stripped personality-driven hours in favor of a broadcast-style strand, with day-specific slots mixing talk-oriented analysis programming, special events and CNN Original Series. Licht is also eyeing NBA on TNT analyst Charles Barkley to anchor one of these talk shows.

As expected, both NBA on TNT and CNN fans have questioned the reason for such a move:

Byers is also reporting the CNN changes might increase the brand’s profit to around $900m; he also heard the new daytime lineup starts on April.

Additionally, but not advertised, CNN has temporarily extended Erin Burnett OutFront to two hours during this week to cover the ongoing situation in Turkey; the show was preempted Tuesday due to Biden’s State of the Union, however.

1 Like

Has the picture quality of CNN on Foxtel improved or been upgraded?