CNN

Jake Tapper and John King left the coverage at 2 am ET and now Don Lemon now hosting the coverage with John Berman replacing John King on the touchscreen.

2 Likes

Under Chris Licht, CNN has become a disaster. The excuse making for republicans that their supposed impartial presenters make are diabolical. It’s like they were cheering for a Republican victory.

CNN has lost the qualities that made it great.

2 Likes

They dumped Wolf Blitzer on election night 2022. Thought he’d go on until 2024 and call it a day.

Very disappointed there was no Wolf Blitzer he is generally the highlight of their election coverage (as is John King) but despite his absence, I thought Taper did pretty well as the main host. The only stuff I wasn’t that invested in was the panel with Anderson Cooper those parts just dragged on and I wasn’t a fan of those panels during the 2020 coverage either. Chirs Wallace was pretty good as well given this was his first election coverage since joining CNN from Fox News.

3 Likes

Alisyn Camerota is excellent at hosting panel discussions.

Really? I found them refreshing yesterday.

I’m no Trump fan, but CNN leaned into him waaaay too much, even after he lost. They needed to change tack and I think they’re on a much more sustainable path now.

3 Likes

Wolf Blitzer and John King anchoring Friday night’s (US time) election coverage

2 Likes

Wonder when they’ll overhaul the lower thirds. Surprised it’s taking so long considering how drastic the new management has been willing to change other parts of the network. Current package has been around for a very long time.

4 Likes

Unlike other designs it doesn’t really age, a bit like BBC’s, both very simple easy to read designs.

7 Likes

Not to mention extremely versatile and incredibly iconic. Don’t fix what isn’t broken.

6 Likes

This guy is very good. Great appointment.

3 Likes

CNN layoffs are underway, and some bad news regarding sister network HLN… Morning Express with Robin Meade has been cancelled (a simulcast of CNN This Morning will air in its place), and HLN will become a sister network to Investigation Discovery. Additionally, longtime personalities such as Alison Kosik, Martin Savidge, Alex Field, Mary Ann Fox and Chris Cilizza have been let go.

Additionally, but not related to layoffs, two CNN anchors, Laura Jarrett and Ana Cabrera, are headed to NBC News, the latter according to Dylan Byers, media analyst at Puck News. Schedule changes are also in sight for next year.

UPDATE: Claire Atkinson from Insider is being told CNNI’s The Global Brief has been cancelled. Unsurprising given Bianca is now on the morning CNN Newsroom from London. CNNI will now air all two hours of The Lead with Jake Tapper, leading up to The Situation Room.

UPDATE 2: The Daily Beast has confirmed Morning Express will sign-off next Tuesday. Additionally, it sounds like CNN will close and merge HLN with Investigation Discovery in the long term, according to the memo Chris Licht sent to CNN staffers.

2 Likes

HLN was always a bizarre network. There was an opportunity, especially when CNN was doubling down on wall-to-wall Trump coverage, for it to return to its roots as a punchy, news-every-15-minutes format, especially considering it could’ve leveraged CNNI’s reporting. CNNI could’ve also simulcast it. Morning Express’ relative success with a rolling news format seemed to suggest thrre was a market for it.

But alas the bosses never seemed interested.

7 Likes

CNN’s new Domestic daytime lineup has been announced. Two new three-hour slots with trio presentation have been tapped for the new look: John Berman, Kate Bolduan and Sara Sidner will anchor the late morning program from New York, whilst Brianna Keilar, Boris Sanchez and Jim Sciutto will anchor middays from Washington.

The only leftover of the former daytime schedule is John King, who remains in the noon hour. Victor Blackwell is back on weekend mornings and Alisyn Camerota and Laura Jates are being refocused to host the 10pm and 11pm hours.

New CEO Chris Licht plans to format these shows on a walk-and-talk presentation, moving out of the desk and roam around what Licht calls “Newsroom Headquarters”, which is actually more of taking the shows back into the newsroom and making anchors roam in there and talk to reporters.

2 Likes

cool idea actually, i like it

Insider publication Semafor is hinting at the new strategy for CNN prime time. After failing to transplant Jake Tapper and his aggressive style of interviewing into prime time, it looks like Chris Licht might refocus the prime time schedule upon news satire and comedy to compete with the big personality-driven opinion shows at its rivals, and inked by the success of Greg Gutfeld’s late night-styled opinion program on Fox News.

Licht is looking to hire either Bill Maher or Trevor Noah; Maher is an easier get given he’s at sister HBO (his Real Time Overtime show which airs after the telecast of the main program is set to arrive to CNN very soon in a semi-regular basis), which is part of Licht’s plan to increase CNN’s position as a key part of Warner Bros. Discovery and drive viewers to the network. Jon Stewart is also in the interest list, but he’s in the middle of his Apple TV+ contract.

Another idea in the shortlist is launching a talk-oriented flow variety show which would involve different journalists having short blocks throughout prime time. Additionally, the article tells CNN will drop the red and white graphics used since 2014 in favour of a sleeker design.

1 Like

Maher would probably match a restructured CNN in this format, Noah absolutely not.

1 Like

obviously a lot to unpack there but this i’m really interested to see since those graphics are somewhat iconic and their style decently recognisable

3 Likes