Climate, Weather and Emergencies

I would agree re the humidity.

I think todays 40+ temps here are strangely more bearable than last weekend’s 29 degrees but with 70% humidity.

you wouldn’t know it if you watched a national news bulletin, you’d assume the entire country is in a heatwave!
oh wait… that’s just NSW.

7 Likes

Looks like that Extreme Heatwave is going to make it’s way up to coast to Townsville early next week.

BOM says:

Forecast of 39°C for my suburb on Tuesday. Not as bad as some of Western Sydney has had over the last few days, but at least the heat down there coincided with 14% humidity. Up here, this is forecast with 55% humidity, so it’s gonna be one hell of a sauna outside!

1 Like

39 degrees and 55% humidity !!!

Ouch :grimacing:

Yeah, we’ve had close to that today, not looking forward to what tomorrow brings.

BOM forecast for Townsville City was 35 today. City was 36, but my place in the outer suburbs (Thuringowa) got up to 38.7.

BOM forecast for City is 38 tomorrow, so it’s gonna be intense out here in the suburbs.

Currently 38.3°C with 53% humidity on my weather station… and it really does feel absolutely shocking outside.

To make it worse, the overnight low tonight is only forecast to be 28°C!! :open_mouth:

1 Like

That sounds MOST uncomfortable @NQCQTV2

Stay cool…

2 Likes

My house is a lovely 23°C inside this evening, so i’m definitely staying cool, at the detriment of my wallet however.

Incredibly hot outside however. 9pm here and it’s still 32°C outside with 75% humidity. Don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like it before!

1 Like

A/C is so definitely worth it though.
I don’t know how anyone can live without it (only if they can’t afford it I guess).

Hope you have a cool beverage in hand to go with it.

6 degrees here this morning, been a while since it was that low. Yesterday we had it showing as 18 degrees with a feels like of 8.1 in the middle of the day. No Summer here this year.

[quote=“ando9185, post:109, topic:199, full:true”]No Summer here this year.
[/quote]Yep. Summer has bypassed Tassie again this year for the most part. Hopefully we might see a late burst of warmer days in the next few weeks heading into Autumn (which can get quite warm at times too).

Although, I’d much rather the cooler weather we’re getting unlike the scorchers NSW have been copping lately! :grin:

We’re not alone though. Perth has had a pretty average summer this year from what I’ve seen also (i.e. only a few days of over 30c with perhaps one nudging 40).

1 Like

I’m incredibly jealous of that weather!

A few nights ago during the heatwave, our overnight low only just dropped below 30°C, with max temps of 39°C, as well as high humidity.
Big chunks of Townsville lost power during all this, but I was luckily unaffected by the outages.

Cool change came through on Thursday, bringing rain and storms and dropping the temperature to 23°C during the early afternoon which was lovely!

And you can probably understand why more and more people from mainland Australia are moving to the state these days with a far cooler and generally more stable climate - amongst other things of course. I can see this trend continuing well into the future with the changing of the climate to continue (and for the worst despite certain non-believers still in denial).

1 Like

There was a recent article from the ABC News website about more young people moving to Hobart.

And yes, being a person that prefers cooler weather than what I get at home in Sydney, I would love to live down there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Though you would have to live with ‘mappy’ :smile:.

Personally, I think I would prefer living Melbourne, or perhaps Geelong.
I just think Tassie is a bit small and isolated, you have to fly to go anywhere.

The weather in Melb/Geel is cool enough most of the time, you don’t get as much of the humidity that Sydney now gets in summer, and you can still access all of the services and events that a big city gets. Housing is more affordable, particularly in Geelong.

That’s true. The same goes for if I want to live down in Wollongong/South Coast or Canberra (I like both of those places BTW).

That is one issue about living in Tassie: the relative isolation from the mainland.

I’ve always admired Melbourne/Geelong’s climate, particularly in summer. Sure they have the odd hot days of 40+ temps, but when it’s not hot, it’s generally quite pleasant. This isn’t really the case in Sydney (particularly away from the coast), in which if it’s not hot, it’s humid, so its summers are generally quite uncomfortable either way.

With median house prices in Melbourne being more than $300k lower than that of Sydney’s. Geelong is also more affordable than that of Wollongong (the 3rd most expensive city in Australia in terms of median house price), the Central Coast & Newcastle.

This doesn’t surprise me. My partner and I are looking at getting out of Townsville in a few years time, and have considered Hobart due to its housing affordability and climate.
Either Hobart or somewhere near (but not in) Melbourne.

We mostly just want to get away from the hot/humid weather that is experienced up here 10 months a year.

2 Likes

I agree. When i used to live up there (2004-2006 & again 2009-2015) some of the nights i could barley sleep due to the hot weather. But i didn’t live as far north… Gold Coast… but you still get the general idea. Sydney weather is OK but i thought in summer it would be cooler not high 20’s & low 30’s… but thats what happens with climate change. Anyway apart from that i would like to stay in Sydney when i’m older but i don’t know if i could with all this ridiculous house/unit prices.

1 Like

If you were to ask me the best time(s) of the year for Sydney’s climate, without a doubt I would say Autumn and Spring except for the two weeks or so at the start and end of each season which are usually rather Summer or Winter like.

As for the weather in Queensland, somehow I get the general impression that their climate is more something you’d enjoy on a holiday rather than actually living in.

Unfortunately, I think you can now say this about Sydney’s weather during Summer (and even parts of Early Autumn).

1 Like

Isn’t that the same for almost every city in Australia :wink:

2 Likes

South of Townsville, the climate is great in Winter.

I grew up just inland from Central QLD, and the climate from May to September was perfect. Mornings around 5°C-10°C, days up to around 20°C-22°C. The occasional icy/frosty morning.

Up here in Townsville, the mornings rarely even drop below 12°C, and the days are closer to 25°C-28°C during Winter.

Mid-October to Early April are the hot/humid months, and they’re the most unbearable ones. Though most normal years it rains a lot during this time period, which keep it feeling much more comfortable, but unfortunately without a decent wet season the last few years, the summers have felt worse than normal.

2 Likes