Climate, Weather and Emergencies

That’s alright i lived with it when I was in Melbourne for a week :stuck_out_tongue: 38 degree is nothing…

1 Like

The last month or so in Brisbane every day is about 32 degrees or more but it’s the high humidity that makes the temperature feel much hotter.As I don’t work in air -con I’m not enjoying being at work right now :rage:

1 Like

Yes, I’m not really enjoying our NSW summers either.

Days are either 28 degrees and 70% humidity, which isn’t particularly comfortable, or it’s over 35 degrees, and humidity is still probably 40%.

Tomorrow is to be 24 degrees, but rain is forecast, which we haven’t had much of this summer.

I look forward to autumn and spring now more than I do with summer.
Even our winters are milder than they used to be…
But summer just isn’t what it used to be when I was kid.
I think we have climate change to blame for that.

1 Like

Personally, I don’t really want to live in Sydney for much longer, especially with their climate becoming more & more like “Brisbane of the South”. I would rather move somewhere further south, maybe to Tasmania or across the ditch to NZ (I know it’s more South-East than South, but still…). :slight_smile:

Sydney can expect another hot weather coming up later this week, with temps expecting to climb as high as 43°C in Penrith (Western Sydney) on both Friday & Saturday. Meanwhile, at around the same time, Melbourne can expect fairly mild weather after a 37°C day on Thursday, whilst Perth is relatively very mild for this time of year.

2 Likes

If Summer 2016-17 becomes Sydney’s hottest and driest on record, unfortunately I wouldn’t be surprised.

Those rain events and East Coast Lows we had last Winter were probably a blessing in disguise. Without them, I think NSW (well, the Eastern side of the state anyway) very well may have been in drought this Summer especially with our relatively low rainfall totals of late.

1 Like

In parts of the Hunter, we are expecting 45 degrees on Saturday.
Insane.

But at least we have been getting SOME brief relief from the heat here and there - I wouldn’t like to be in say, Moree (spare a thought for @hatdj ) whereby it’s been 35+ degrees EVERY day for the last 6 weeks! They are also copping a 45 degree day on Sunday too.

Air-Conditioning is my friend, Mind you I might need to set up a fund me page to help pay my next power bill :wink:

1 Like

Not just mild, but with record rain forecast with no precedent of past rain activity of this severity, even in the winter for at least 20 years. If the modelling is accurate Perth could see up to 300mm in the next week. Average February rainfall in Perth is about 15mm, for perspective.
http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDYPME04/20170208_20170215/pme1to8.png

3 Likes

Will be surprised if we get so much! But yes never seen that sort of forecast before.

We really need some decent rain or storms now in Brisbane,this humidity is really energy zapping

Townsville desperately needs some rain too.
This year’s wet season has once again been another complete failure.

We’ve only had heavy rain on about 5 days in the last 3 months, 1 minor storm passed the city a few weeks ago.

None of that has been significant enough to top up the city’s dam, which is now sitting at 14%. With no decent top up for a few years now after consecutive failed wet seasons. It’s really not shaping up well for water in this area in the future!

Doesn’t rain and storms contribute to the humidity?

It can, but in some climates it can be a good way to end the run of the humid weather

1 Like

Yeah, this is common in Townsville.

We’ll have sunny and humid days continuously until we finally get some rain.
Even though the humidity is high with the rain the temperature is low enough that it’s not as big of a deal.
Then once the rain clears away, the humidity goes with it and we get sunny and far less humid days for a while until the humidity slowly starts to build back up again.

Last time we had any rain (a few weeks ago), it had been 30, 31, 32 degrees with about 75-80% humidity every day for a while prior. Then on the afternoon the rain finally moved in, the humidity was higher obviously, but the temperature had dropped back to 24 degrees for the afternoon, which feels so much nicer. Then the rain cleared and the temp was still 30,31, etc. but the humidity had dropped away to 40%, which made it feel a lot more comfortable.

Since then it’s slowly built back up again and is now back to where it was before the rain.

This cycle just continues here until either, the wet season kicks in properly (which hasn’t happened at all in the last few years), or April rolls around and the humidity and temp start to fall away as we head towards the “cooler” months.

1 Like

Cold in Perth today, been sitting on 15C most of today. Almost needing heaters in February WTF

Sorry for those in the heatwave, hopefully the cold blast here makes it there soon!

1 Like

To give you an idea of how bad the heatwave is going to be this weekend, in the news there’s been talk about the possibility of blackouts in NSW (Western Sydney was mentioned, one of the areas which will need air conditioning the most!) because of the extreme heat and an inevitable increased demand for energy.

To think, a couple of days ago we were getting cooler temperatures/fairly heavy rain and now this happens!

1 Like

Meanwhile snow forecast in Tasmania for the weekend. Still looking for summer down here!

Coldest Feb day on record apparently (well, that might change up until 9am tomorrow morning).

another cold day in Perth… sorry Sydneysiders, also 130mm in the last 24 hours. Quite flooded around this morning. Next concern is the Swan River, don’t think it’s been in a flood watch for many decades.

I want to move down there,the last month or so here in Brisbane has been horrible,I can’t handle extremely hot and humid days anymore :rage: