Climate, Weather and Emergencies

It would help if you bloody Sydneysiders and Northerners shared it round a bit more. I’m sure this winter has been colder than last winter as there were many, many more frosty mornings and nowhere near as much rain as last year but we’re still struggling to make temperatures above 13 or 14 degrees.

1 Like

As the warm weather spreads further north, more September records have been broken on the North Coast of NSW today, including:

Coffs Harbour: 38.8°C (previous record high: 35.2°C)
Port Macquarie: 38.2°C (37.9°C)
Kempsey: 38.6°C (37.0°C)
Lismore: 38.0°C (37.2°C)

Also, Sydney has recorded its highest minimum temp for September overnight at 23.0°C, beating the previous record high of 22.0°C that was set on 24th September 2003.

2 Likes

I had a feeling that Sydney broke the minimum temperature record for September because it wasn’t a particularly comfortable night to sleep in.

You’ll be laughing in 3-6 months time.

We’ll be complaining about the heat and humidity and be longing for your cooler summer days.

And speaking of complaining, I’ll start already, we had overnight MINIMUMS last night of 27 degrees. Only three weeks after winter had finished. RIDICULOUS :drooling_face:

6 Likes

27°C as an overnight minimum… god that is ridiculous!

We very rarely can have one or two nights in Summer up here in NQ during heatwaves where we have a minimum of 29°C… so I understand your frustration.
But it’s incredible that this is happening in September.

Weather is lovely up here in Townsville at the moment, 17°C overnight and 28°C maximums, with a lovely breeze.

5 Likes

Wait till around mid-January which is when typically you’ll more than likely see the temps shoot way up to the 30s. We usually get summer a bit later to that of NSW, VIC. Mind you, NSW in particular is already getting a blast of summer very early this year with broken records which certainly isn’t looking like a good sign with a forecasted terrible summer predicted in the coming months. This is looking like a very dangerous period already.

I can only dream of getting overnight temps of 27 degrees. That doesn’t even occur during summer here! :grin:

I can remember one day and night when I was living in Hobart, day was near 40 degrees, about 38 or 39 in Glenorchy and the night went down to high 20’s (still about 34 in my unit and no way to cool it or sleep!) and then the daytime temperature the next day was around 15 once the cold front swept through suddenly early in the morning. Was so bizarre.

Meanwhile, we always joke about it raining for the weekends. About lunchtime on Friday the clouds gathered and the temperature dropped after some great days last week. Then rain and storms all weekend, about 40mm of rain here at home and absolutely pouring down last night. Now, Monday morning, blue skies and sunshine. This is happening more and more frequently!

3 Likes

Yes; I know confirmation bias & it being the opposite of what we’d rather have means the lovely week & horrible weekend stand out & stick in our minds but the changes do appear more extreme, it seemed like there was less variation between the two when growing up.

Trust me… 27°C as an overnight minimum is not something you want!! It’s not pleasant at all.

4 Likes

A little bit of good news?

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/business/agl-remains-committed-to-liddell-closure-as-profits-rise-20170926-gypg6a.html

“When considering the future of Liddell, it is important to acknowledge that it is a plant that is approximately 45-years old and that, at the time that AGL acquired it, the intention of the NSW Government, its previous owner, was to close the plant in 2022,” Mr Maycock said.

…Maycock also rejected the potential of AGL building a ‘clean coal’ power station, stating that as a purely economic decision as these power stations are not competitive financially.

No company - with a financial responsibility to shareholders - is going to invest in a new coal power station, and the luddites in the LNP need to get out of their delusional world & accept this reality.

PS: But to balance that out, here’s more bad:

…Delta has hit 41.3 degrees Celsius and Bourke reached 40.7C just after lunch time.

The latest record was only just set on Saturday when the town of Wilcannia reached 40.5C during an unseasonal heatwave.

Prior to that, the last record was set on September 28, 2004 with the temperature hit 39.6C at Wanaaring.

Been a stunner Tuesday and similar today in Melbourne ☉

Warm too, got as high at 25 today (checked BOM and was higher than Sydney & Brisbane at one stage mid-afternoon!)

AFL GF Public Holiday (Friday) & AFL GF day (Saturday) set to be overcast and cooler though, but dry.

BOM suggests 60-70% chance of showers on Fri-Sat, 1-3 mm rain, but hopefully not enough to affect the parade or the Grand Final itself.

Meanwhile, in Sydney, Grand Final Day here (Sunday) looks to be a pearler, sunny and 23 with light winds. Public Holiday Monday here looks set to be very similar to Sunday.

3 Likes

Temperatures in the outback New South Wales town of Bourke on Wednesday could reach 41C, smashing the state heat record for September, which was broken on Saturday when Wilcannia hit 40.5C.

Regions north of the Bourke up to the Queensland border could even reach 42C, the weather bureau says.

“Some [of the predicted temperatures] would break records by as much as two to three degrees, so it’s very significant,” he said.

Tassie’s weather is pretty bizarre full stop. Supposedly it’s very stable and boring according to some, but it has its fair share of extremes as well. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yep, the CBD itself and selected surrounding suburbs definitely get a bit warmer during the summer period at times. But where I am it doesn’t get overly hot during the summer months as I live close to the water which usually keeps things pretty cool. Mid-20s is about the top where I am while Hobart itself can get to the mid-30s on the same day.

The advantage of having milder conditions where I am is there’s more you can do about fixing this. Whereas with continuous 30+ degree days/nights there’s less you can do about that I guess. Another reason why I have no interest of permanently living too far north.

Exactly, it’s easier to get warm than it is to cool down.
Hot or humid weather can also make me cranky or irritable, and that is not a pleasant sight. :blush:

1 Like

This is particularly true for Sydney, where a lot of its population live far away from the cooling seabreezes of the coastline.

I’ll take your word for it. A cranky ‘Radiohead’ doesn’t sound terribly pleasant I must say! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hot and humid weather makes me cranky also. I’ll have to have an air conditioner installed in my unit before summer comes :confused:

1 Like

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/diesel-cars-help-drive-australias-energy-emissions-to-highest-level-report-shows-20170928-gyqfbq.html

Respected energy analyst Hugh Saddler compiled the disturbing report … said the failure of successive governments to invest in efficient transport infrastructure, such as rail, has allowed transport fuel emissions to keep rising - a trend bucked by the rest of the world…

Right wing hatred of infrastructure, especially public transport has caused this along with increased road congestion & poorer quality of life for people living with it.

Diesel-powered vehicles constitute 22.2 per cent of the national fleet, up from 15.9 per cent in 2012, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics. Sales of utes and SUVs have reportedly been central to this growth…

…road use was encouraged through a lack of investment in other transport modes, Australia’s car fleet was less efficient than those in most other countries and Australia did not have mandatory fuel efficiency standards…

It’s pretty shocking that we don’t have any fuel efficiency standards. The only incentive seems to be more fuel use = more cost to motorists, but we know how many people look at running costs not just initial purchase…right?

Petrol consumption and emissions also increased for the first time in six years. Electricity generation emissions continued to fall, while natural gas emissions increased slightly.

The report concluded that Australia “has no policies likely to slow the growth in emissions from petroleum fuels” either now or in the long-term and “there is no indication of when or if growth in petroleum emissions will stop”.

Environment and Energy Minister Josh Frydenberg said the government established a ministerial forum on vehicle emissions to consider possible reforms to Australia’s fuel efficiency, fuel quality and noxious emissions standards.

More talk but no action from this gov’t, paralysed by internal divisions.

“We continue to consult widely with key stakeholders to ensure a balanced, evidence-based approach to this important area of public policy,” he said.

Yeah right; that worked so well with a carbon tax & ETS off the table and now the CET isn’t going to happen either.

Really disappointing that the Fairfax story didn’t mention how toxic diesel exhaust gases are (so much worse than petrol); the negative impacts of increased diesel use in cities is pretty shocking, as was revealed in Europe not too long ago, and why diesel cars will be banned from several major city centres in a few years, e.g. Paris.

1 Like

Dry, perfect footy weather for tomorrow’s Grand Final :ok_hand: