Climate, Weather and Emergencies

Given that Melbourne is know for having four seasons in one day - which part does that refer to? Maximum of only 16 for Saturday - hard to believe given how warm it is in Queensland.

4 Likes

Very true four seasons in one day :smile:

Yes, cool day, partly cloudy and dry for the game (perfect footy winter-esque conditions).

And oi! At least we get temperate climates/normal seasons (hot summer, cold winter) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: September is QLD’s main bushfire period (Melbourne’s isn’t until February).

I also like multiple, real seasons, but not in one day. Melbourne in summer is awesome, Qld is nice to visit this time of year, before it gets too humid.

Of course Canberra’s problem is it feels like winter between ANZAC Day & October and that’s too long… Bloody pollies back in the day who liked “English weather” when they chose to build the capital there.
I hope it’s warmed up a bit when I have to return from sunny Qld in a couple of days.

Homebush is looking nice on Sunday for the NRL Grand Final, 24 & sunny, then down to 9 overnight.

2 Likes

One of us one of us

Seriously though, you aren’t in South East Queensland though. 37°C days at the moment. I’m staying a few days at Maroochy and have sadly discovered that whilst the air temperature has soared here, the water temp is very much still winter.

After a (most likely) record dry September, hopefully Sydney will get some decent rain during October!

So far the forecast for rain from the middle of next week looks promising, although I’m sure most locals will still appreciate the weather we’re expecting over the Start of DST/NRL Grand Final/Labor Day Public Holiday Long Weekend.

Canberra is well known for being rather cold during the Winter months, but doesn’t it also get quite hot there during the Summer?

I personally would’ve thought that the weather in England is more comparable to the climates of Tasmania and/or New Zealand, if it isn’t even cooler than those places

Amazing the differences in weather in QLD at the moment.
Most of the state is going through a massive heatwave, but up here in North QLD (where you’d normally expect it to be hot), it’s been completely lovely… temperature was around 27°C for most of the day here in Townsville today, while meanwhile to our south, most of the rest of the state was >36°C.

1 Like

Of course. Canberra’s inland location means it gets bitterly cold winters and extremely hot summers. I’ve been there in the middle of both seasons and without a doubt I hate their winters and summers as it’s too extreme both ways for my liking.

To the rest of the country probably. Biggest difference would be the extreme summers we have though. Also in certain areas like the West Coast gets lots of rain than the East Coast you’ll get far less rain.

2 Likes

Getting sick of hearing how hot it is in Queensland and NSW and the hottest winter on record etc… Snow down to 300m again in Tassie today. Only 9am and we’ve had gale force winds, thunderstorms, sunshine, rain, hail, sunshine, rain, sunshine, showers, possibly a “mini-tornado” as I saw a few letterboxes and debris in odd locations and one of the wind squalls which came through early this morning sounded particularly rough. Good day to be inside watching the footy I guess.
Melbourne - 4 seasons in one day
Tassie - 4 seasons, on the hour, every hour.

2 Likes

Hahaha. No, north (visited the Reef), and as @NQCQTV2 said it’s been lovely in this region.

@EyewitnessTV is right the coast definitely helps moderate the weather, and the further from the coast, the more brutal it is.

Last January in Tasmania was a bit chilly for my liking; (I was looking forward to some relief from the heat but) I’m very much disinclined to visit Tassie again during anything but summer!

The coast is more humid, and gets more severe storms than inland.

But the coastal breezes are a big help with the humidity, though the wind still feels “sticky”.

1 Like

True; I should’ve said moderate temperature.

So apparently it rained during the match today :cloud_with_rain: :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Did someone who was watching tick off (bingo like) each of the four seasons? :wink:
(Sorry, not an AFL fan so didn’t watch).

There was a sprinkle here and there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Wasn’t too bad down here. A little windy at times but certainly no storms and very little rain (which is something desperately needed down South at the moment). Seems like the North copped most of it again.

Last summer was pretty average overall. I think we only got a couple of days over 30 degrees and the rest of the time it hovered around the low 20s for the most part. This summer might be a better time to visit as it’s supposed to be above average.

2 Likes

It looked like a heavy-ish shower at the MCG from what I saw, so I wouldn’t like to see what you call a downpour :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:Fortunately it cleared pretty quickly and returned to another of Melbourne’s four seasons in one day.

Meanwhile up here in NSW we have woken to a cloudless sky for our Grand Final Day, though it looks a bit hazy, due to a few bushfires that have been burning.

And “HELLO” to DST and the annual madness of five time zones in a country of less than 25 million people. Oh well, at least I’m not getting woken by the sun at 5.15am every day now.

2 Likes

Yep, it’s madness that we have so many different time zones.
IMO the federal government should take control of time zones, and force it to stay at 3 zones… either EST/CST/WST in Winter or EDT/CDT/WDT in Summer - nothing else. Time zones stay consistent and every location in Australia is always at the same offset from every other location.

Our 5:15am daybreak problem in NQ is only going to get worse, we’re only weeks away from pre-5am dawn :frowning:

But I really feel for the poor people of SEQ though… the location is completely unsuited to EST in Summer with dawn near 4am in December (in fact SEQ would even be better suited to be 30 minutes ahead of EDT in Summer in reality), yet they’re stuck on EST because the minority of QLDs total population don’t understand how DST works!

I’ve already seen comments on Facebook from people here in QLD saying things like “it’s already light at 5:30 in the morning, why would we want it any earlier?” :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

We’re on severe water restrictions in Townsville and haven’t had any decent rain in over 12 months now nearly, and just as the NRL has started with the local team playing, it’s FINALLY started to rain… a good sign hopefully!

4 Likes

And on a personal note; the weather’s been great for the last little bit: It was lovely & sunny, the rain waited until right after I left, and I didn’t fly Virgin so again missed the flight cancellations/delays.
Maybe my luck has also improved. :slight_smile:

Hopefully it rains for a while, and goes towards refilling dams.

1 Like

First day of DST and I’m already loving it, finally got a decent day of sunshine and temp at home reached 17 degrees, warmest it’s been in months. We might finally crack the 20 sometime this week. Only got dark about 7:45 too which was brilliant and sunrise still at a decent time but will only be a couple of weeks before it’s pre-6am again.

3 Likes