Climate, Weather and Emergencies

Fair enough; conversely I’ve never been to the VIC resorts. The Alps are a bit more dramatic in VIC though imo- at Perisher you barely realise how high up you are. The walks out of Charlotte Pass get you onto the Main Range and up to Mt. Kosciuszko. Perisher is a ghost town in summer but Thredbo is a year round resort (mountain biking is popular on the ski runs).

1 Like

Yeppoon the forecast was for 33 today then they changed it to 34 deg it reached… 36.8 deg !

Currently…

1 Like

That’s pretty toasty!

I see Brisbane’s overnight minimum forecast for tonight is 26, with 35 expected tomorrow.

Also very toasty.

We only have A/C in the front lounge room and front bedroom (Both west facing ) as soon as you open the doors and come out of those rooms it’s like a sauna .

32 deg in the front of the house.

I went to sleep (my room is the back the east side ) and had my fan on 3 it was so still and stuffy last night ) . 3 being the highest !

Easterly come in now and feels like is now 40.8 deg!

1 Like

That sounds very unpleasant …

Wasn’t expecting this storm in Port Macquarie… its been sunny all day here in Newcastle

1 Like

Seabreeze come in and we dropped from 36 deg to 32 deg but the dew point is a crazy 27.8 deg.

1 Like

Large forecast errors can happen on the coast at times due to the presence (or absence or delay) of a seabreeze; best to use a model like BSCH GFS as it’s fairly accurate in predicting the onset of seabreezes and easterlies:

https://forecasts.bsch.com.au/stormcast.html

Looking at the forecast for a place just inland from you can also be useful; in Yeppoon’s case Rockhampton would represent the ‘worst case scenario’ for heat on a given day. Analogously I pay attention to the Canberra forecast as if temperatures are hotter than expected, I often get Canberra’s forecast maximum.

I find the regional forecasts more accurate as they give a temperature range; knowing the wind regime for the day and combining it with the temperature range given will often lead to a more accurate forecast than the BOM’s spot maxima. I exclusively use the regional forecast on air at Braidwood FM; when there’s an easterly wind regime I say ‘the lower end for Braidwood’ and conversely the higher end for days with a westerly regime.

1 Like

Looks like next Thur to Sat Melbourne will get some 30 days, Sat looks stormy though. Then it goes back to cold again.

I was in Kmart today and another customer was asking a staff member next to me if they have heaters or electric blankets. They didn’t.

God, it’s not that cold… it was 18/19 in Melbourne today. Put on a jumper. :joy:

1 Like

My air conditioner has been on all the time every day this week except when I’ve had to go out

1 Like
1 Like

Looks like it was a microburst rather than a tornado:

1 Like

I feel sorry for most of my neighbours here as out of the 20 units in my complex only myself and one other neighbour have air conditioning installed .Paid for the air con unit and a guy to install it ,all up about $1000.How can anyone sleep at night if the temperature doesn’t drop below 25 degrees ? Before I had air con I used to go to bed all wet ,wet my hair with fans blowing on me , I never got a good nights sleep

3 Likes

Some people might have evaporative air conditioners or some other self contained unit.

Seems like quite the blast from Antarctica went through Tas and I think Vic a few days ago. I was seeing posts on Facebook everywhere from friends saying how terrible the weather was for summer and I had a look at home in the middle of the day and the feels like temp was 5.6 degrees. I then went out and enjoyed the sunshine in Christchurch instead and the 32 degrees on offer there.

Yes they might,

Queensland could have its first cyclone of the season with Cyclone Freddy forecast to form.

2 Likes

A cyclone has formed of WA - so that is named Freddy.

1 Like

Gabrielle it is

1 Like
2 Likes