Climate, Weather and Emergencies

Up to a point, but anything around 30C at night is feral.

1 Like

It’s raining in Newcastle today and still muggy, but at least it’s not as hot as yesterday, which was humid as well.

It’s been very hot and humid in Brisbane the last few days. I used to hate days like this when I was still working in my former workplace with no air conditioning, only the folks working in the offices upstairs had air con.With this part time job as a domestic help,even if it’s a day like this I only have to work for 1/ 2 hours a day,.then I can go home and put on my air con.No way I can work a full 8 hour day in a non air conditioned work place anymore.
I won’t be pursuing work as a traffic controller either if I feel like I’m not up to being outside in these conditions . I’ve also applied for a position as a cleaner in shopping centre food courts,cleaning,wiping tables,emptying bins,then I’ll be working in air conditioning,haven’t heard back from them yet :confused:

4 Likes

This graphic suggests you ended up with over 130mm, making it the second wettest day on record!

3 Likes

Got to 132mm in the end, and broke all the records bar 1863.

The only time I’ve seen rain like it is when I’ve been up north in the Northern Rivers.

3 Likes

Albury/Wodonga is sheltered from a lot of weather events- particularly in summer- so that’s a fair effort for there. It’s usually a place where you can forget about the weather (the odd severe storm excepted) which is a good thing in these times. Too hot for me though.

2 Likes

Meanwhile a cold front (or Antarctic blast) will hit Victoria late Thursday. 15 in the city, 11 Ballarat and below freezing in the states far east on Friday.

Won’t last long, Next Tuesday back in the 30s.

Looks like the monsoon is coming back to the gulf, might be a large rain event late next week.

1 Like

:astonished:11 here in Ballarat on Thursday??? we have gone back to winter lol

1 Like

Winter has come early this year.

I’ve got my north face jacket washed and ready for Friday.

Only in Vic lol. Hotham will be snowing this Friday -1, and back in the 20s 4 days later!

1 Like

I thought 11 was Ballarat in summer? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

All day Sunday and Monday morning was horrible. Monday afternoon was better.

Not far from the truth at the top of Mount Macedon. I know someone who lives at 850 m there and some summer days are under 10. With this front he’ll be around 5-6C potentially.

As usual with these fronts in midsummer, NSW will be getting a diluted version. The airmass simply warms up too much over land; nevertheless a day in the high teens is forecast on Friday and if the wind abates enough on Saturday morning, we could see some low temps here. Orange won’t get that cold either despite its exposure to westerly fronts.

Since our ducted air con broke down last year and we replaced it with 2 x 2.5kw splits our power usage has decreased.

We ran it in winter every morning lol and the power usage was lower than the year before when we never ran anything

Running it this year every day in summer (not all night … just before bed ) and we’re using at least 3 kw less a day from last year and 7kw less to the year before.

Seems even with SE winds next week the 28 deg days will still feel like 32 deg and high dew points in the mid 20s in Yeppoon.

SO MUCH WIN

1 Like

The Bureau App for rainfall when it is storms is quite wrong sometimes. We got 17.8mm yesterday but the app said a 25 percent chance of 3mm or more.

They also updated the forecast at 10am to mention possible storm but still said less than 50 percent chance.

Yeppoon today BOM Meteye

Here is Tuesday though with SE winds strengthening the second day of them

You’ve got a better chance at herding feral cats than predicting storm rainfall. I have noticed the Bureau are rather bullish when it comes to severe storms though, chucking in ‘possibly severe’ on almost every storm day down here lately. It is true that certain spots in the Southern Tablelands are a hotbed of severe storm activity though (thankfully not Bungendore).

3 Likes

Really? I think you’re in Melbourne though so any of the VIC resorts would be closer for you. Mt. Baw Baw is often good for summer snowfall, though it seems the NSW resorts scored the best of it this time to my surprise (most of these summer changes heavily favour VIC and TAS for obvious reasons).

The general rule with VIC snow is that Hotham and Falls Creek do better in westerly wind systems like this one, whilst Baw Baw is the place to be for southerly falls. The more traditional cold outbreaks arrive from the west in winter, but there has been a trend for SW and S systems (‘Baw Baw specials’) lately.

Baw Baw is also a fair bit lower than Hotham or Falls Creek.

1 Like