Climate, Weather and Emergencies

From this human-centred perspective only, I’d argue that Celsius is preferable for colder temperatures and Fahrenheit better suited to warmer temperatures…as I demonstrated above. But scientifically speaking (which should be the only criterion that matters), Celsius is clearly superior. 0F (near -18C) is quite arbitrary, being the lowest temperature Daniel Fahrenheit could (personally) achieve by freezing a mixture of salt and water***:

It is (probably?) a coincidence, but domestic freezer temperatures are usually set around -18C.

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s related to where I grew up or just coincidence, but I grew up in QLD in the metric era and never heard feet/inches used for height, always just centimetres.

Since moving to the ACT, I hear more people say height as feet/inches than I do cm, and the feet/inches means absolutely nothing to me. I have absolutely no idea with it.

Tell me you’re 5’4” means nothing to me, I would have literally no idea if you were tall, short, average, but tell me you’re 190cm and that makes complete sense

5 Likes

I was born in the mid 80s but I remember my height in feet and inches not cm

Yes, it’s funny how we still seem to use our measurement of height in feet and inches. I would say it’s used more often than not.

It means you’re an inch taller than Muggsy Bogues.

2 Likes
1 Like

Does anyone remember back when Kevin Rudd got elected there was a pledge to reduce emissions by 2020 .I forget how much by . Back then 2020 seemed a long time away in 2007 .

Did we reduce anything?

1 Like

27 deg here first time since early June.

Feels different to mid summer. I guess because of the humidity levels, angle of the sun and the nights still being cooler.

1 Like

I can’t see how they could definitively say one way or the other as carbon emissions aren’t really measured in terms of actual output - a guesstimate is the best they could do.

2 Likes

Yes greenhouse gas emissions (carbon dioxide, methane, etc.) weren’t fully measured so estimates were used (as they are for many other things).

The carbon price the Gillard Labor government introduced was working, greenhouse gas emissions were reducing until the Abbott LNP government repealed the legislation after they were elected in 2013.

And in particular the blue line in this graph from the article shows what happened before, during & after the carbon price (the black is fiddled by including dodgy land use numbers):

3 Likes
4 Likes

More on BoM’s La Nina declaration

3 Likes

Hope it actually does something up here this time . It started off wet in October last year then November before no rain from early December to May . March was saved by 2 days , 1 with 80mm from a storm and the next day with about 20mm of showers.

Up here I mean Rockhampton/Yeppoon.

We’re still need 350mm to fall to get just average for the year.

Feels like the last ex cyclone up here was back in 2017 .

I really hope we don’t have those horrible heatwaves with high humidity, light winds like last year which affected Central and North Qld . Every day was sunny clear no clouds and humid and no rain for days on end. Some morning the humidity was so bad the feels like temp was 37 deg in the morning as the dew point was 27 deg too … crazy … We had dew points like that for 2 weeks … i guess it was more like Singapore .

All that humidity didn’t have any systems to tap into it.

1 Like

Doesn’t sound very nice at all.
I don’t cope well with long periods of humidity either.

I have heard that this latest La Niña phase we are about to enter isn’t as strong as previous ones, so hopefully we won’t see as much rain here in NSW or extremities this time around,

1 Like

Unfortunately those long humid ruts are becoming all too common, even as far south as the NSW South Coast. Last summer there were a handful of days that were consistently muggy even in Bungendore and Canberra. Sustained dewpoints of 20C were basically unknown here up until about 10 years ago (they might have occurred briefly following a thunderstorm, say).

For me a dew point of over 22 degis where it starts to be unpleasant.

I mean now the dew point is 19 deg and it’s 23 deg but feels like temp is 23 deg. Supposed to be 27 deg today though we already have a light NE seabreeze.

It’s a nice time of year not too hot , too cold , too humid yet.

Yeah regarding that humidity it was so bad i got a heatrash on the crease of my arms and it was there on and off until May the next year … almost can use that as a way of telling how humid it is .

I used calomine lotion it would go away and keep coming back ! At one point in summer it was impossible to apply it as i was all sweaty.

Our ducted air con unit of 15 years broke too . Now we have new splits instead .

Air con techs were flat out up here and probably in North Qld too , was very unusual …

Normally you would get seabreezes in the afternoon or wind and clouds but we just had endless sunny clear days with humidity and barely any wind movement.

Usually Rockhampton being inland is known for barely any wind but the coast being so close to the sea and not much wind ??? I spoke to someone last year said it was the worst theyd experienced and had lived here 40 years.

1 Like

The strength of the seabreeze is a function of the differential between land temp and ocean temp; ocean temps in the Tasman and Coral Seas are usually well above average these days, meaning generally weaker seabreezes (and Southerly Busters). The hot SSTs also explain the record high dewpoints.

We even feel the effects of the Tasman Sea warmth here in summer: easterly changes are more humid and less brisk than they used to be (though still cool enough, at this altitude). Ocean temps are a lot cooler off Victoria and South Australia- and warming slower than the Tasman to boot- so places that get cooled directly by Bass Strait are still relatively pleasant in summer. Bungendore is just far enough south to get these pulses of Bass Strait air, though the effect is usually in the minimum temperatures only.

2 Likes