Climate, Weather and Emergencies

lol try living in ballarat then lol

No thanks. Would never live in a country town again. Plus it’s bloody cold there.

I know people think people in Melbourne don’t understand heat. But it’s 4 degrees cooler here than Adelaide and find the heat here hotter than it ever is in Adelaide and it’s because the place is equipped for the heat. Most houses have the high ceilings etc. you just don’t have that here in Melbourne - well not in my apartment.

5 Likes

I agree I could cope with the heat in SA better than over here in Victoria, houses are designed more for cold weather in Victoria

2 Likes

And Perth hit a top of 40 degrees today. Very hot day and the weather conditions was a lot of haze around. Tomorrow will cool down a bit followed by rain on Wednesday and Thursday. This weekend, Melbourne, Adelaide and hobart experienced blistering weather conditions followed by Perth.

1 Like

South Australia will be very hot with strong dry northerly winds with possible raised dust hitting some parts of South Australia. Port Lincoln will be the worst hit with strong gusts up to 70km/h. Adelaide’s forecast minimum of 24 degrees. This type of weather is unseasonal.

Never thought I’d see the word “snow” in a forecast on 7 News Regional QLD. This aired last night

4 Likes

Toowoomba was under 10 degrees today. Yikes. I would have thought that’s the coldest June day on record in Toowoomba. Haven’t we seen snow in Toowoomba before?
Even Stanthorpe has :snowflake:. Yikes!
Sydney’s weather was chilly hitting a top of just 14 degrees.
Cairns will be cooler than average tomorrow’s with a top of 22 degrees.

On the other side, Perth Is enjoying warm sunny says until Thursday when heavy rain will pour into the city.

1 Like

I heard on 10 News First that Michael Schultz saying that there was raised dust in Perth. This has happened for the first time in its history. Tomorrow the forecast will be dust in the morning followed by rain. I’ve never ever seen a dusty weather in Perth in my whole life.

1 Like

It’s not pleasant.

Shut your doors and windows.

And be prepared to wash your car.

3 Likes

lol, not by a long shot.

Are you sure that it hasn’t been really windy during a dry spell? You would have, it just wouldn’t have been so overtly forecast as such.

1 Like

Yesterday, Perth was very windy and cloudy with altostratus clouds hovering across the metro area. However, the dew point had negative figures. Today, the humidity was very low, despite lots of clouds around Perth.

I haven’t seen the dust in a forecast before but I haven’t really looked for that either. I remember the surprise a few years ago though when the BoM issued a Tornado warning in Tasmania, I think it was also in the forecast as well. I’d seen severe thunderstorm warnings but it was the first time I’d seen a Tornado warning in Australia.

What do people think of the climate of Canberra?

As I’ve mentioned elsewhere before, my partner and I both like the cold weather and are starting to look into moving south from NQ in the not too distant future, as we’re sick of the constant heat and humidity up here. Currently our main considerations are Toowoomba and Canberra.

We’ve booked a holiday to Canberra in a few weeks time to check the place out, just wondering what others think of the weather down there :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would have thought that parts of Cairns saw cooler than average temperatures in June with maximums in the low to mid 20s. But still, Cairns is a good time to go in June as the temperature is less humid.
Toowoomba - very cold weather had hit QLD last Wednesday. I would have thought Toowoomba had a maximum temperature just under 10 degrees last Wednesday. This was the first time ever that Toowoomba had highest temperatures at 9 degrees Celsius. Too nippy, eh?

Please do some research on BOM’s website before claiming facts, the all time low maximum for Toowoomba is 6.7 and max temperatures below 9 aren’t extremely rare by any means.

5 Likes

Just because it’s been a bit cooler up in Cairns recently doesn’t mean I want to move there. That’s the opposite to what we’re going for!

2 Likes

Personally, I think NQCQTV2 should move to wherever they think the climate will best suit them and their partner.

What I will say is that among the many other reasons you’d only want to visit the Sydney metropolitan area on a holiday and not live here permanently, particularly away from the coast it’s often hotter than South East Queensland during the Summer and perhaps not quite cold enough (with maximum temperatures in the low twenties not an entirely irregular occurrence on days during some of our recent Junes, Julys and Augusts - need I mention next week’s forecast?) for your liking during Winter. Katoomba & the Blue Mountains can sometimes get what you would say is truly Winter weather, but that’s about it really.

Canberra has a good 4-season climate, with warm to hot summers with low humidity & cool nights (unlike in Western Sydney & much of QLD), as well as cool to cold winters.

Here are the climate comparisons between Toowoomba & Canberra:

Category Toowoomba Canberra (Tuggeranong)
Average Maximum Temp. - Jan. 28.4°C 29.7°C
Average Maximum Temp. - Jul. 16.7°C 12.3°C
Average Minimum Temp. - Jan. 17.6°C 14.5°C
Average Minimum Temp. - Jul. 6.6°C -0.1°C
Average 9am Dew Point Temp. - Feb. 16.8°C 12.3°C
Average 3pm Dew Point Temp. - Feb. 15.6°C 10.1°C
Average 9am Relative Humidity - Feb. 75% 68%
Average 3pm Relative Humidity - Feb. 56% 39%
3 Likes

Has anyone else noticed that the Apple weather app on iPhone, a lot of the time seems to forecast a different minimum/maximum temperature, for cities & towns, (e.g. Adelaide’s max temp is forecast to be 18 degrees tomorrow, while the Apple weather app says 17 degrees) compared to other weather apps & forecast reports in newspapers, TV nightly news etc. Is it because Apple weather gets its information from The Weather Channel in the US?