Classification

Just a reminder, ABC and SBS have their own Codes of Practice, which may very well currently stipulate full screen / VO warnings.

Something the Commercial Code removed in their latest one as of late 2015, of which Nine, Seven and Ten in that order jumped on.

1 Like

Bart’s doodle wasn’t blacked out on tonight’s Simpsons movie airing. Still PG.

1 Like

Thanks for that.

@Zampakid do you know at all if this version of “Braveheart” on 7mate on Thursday night, is the same copy Seven previously aired in the late 90s / 2000s? Since regaining 20C Fox TV rights this year.

Because I seem to recall in the past it was heavily and poorly edited for content and this video seems to prove similar the other night:

1 Like

Are you asking if Seven just found a videocassette copy on the shelf and used that rather than sourcing a high definition digital file?

2 Likes

Well, sort of? Okay, probably not for this age then.

But “The Day After Tomorrow” which aired a couple of times on Seven earlier this year, apparently was definitely the same copy which they premiered back in 2006/2007? Ten then got rights. Seven’s would’ve probably been digital by then and didn’t need to request (pay $$$) for a new copy this deal.

1 Like

Seven will be required by law to modify the Harry Potter films from “The Goblet of Fire” (3 weeks time) onwards, as they were classified M. Which could be interesting, with the big popularity and usually ratings with these movies.

Has it been confirmed they will be shown at 7:00pm?

1 Like

I think so, certainly Saturdays. Regardless, if 8:30pm, what would they air between 7pm and then, no movie with ads is that short, not many movies that exist that are much less than 90min alone anyway.

1 Like

Classification for nine’s Paramedics includes;

DE Distressing Scenes.

Just wondering why The Trade Table on Nine is classified M? It’s mostly discussion about AFL player trades and doesn’t involve violence, coarse language or adult themes. It should be PG at most. Also reckon Footy Classified should be PG not M.

1 Like

Nine have come up with quite a number of odd consumer advice, since the December 2015 Code change where the prescribed consumer advice no longer has to be used (Seven still do).

A program may be more suited to a mature audience, even if the content doesn’t necessarily warrant it (e.g.) NCIS has never been PG in the 16 years its aired on Ten, even though many, many episodes carry no consumer advice. A number of episodes could also easily be given a PG. But the overall premise and feel isn’t really directed towards kids.

I don’t see this as an issue at all really.

1 Like

WWE is another one on Nine where it has been given an MA15+ rating when it probably could be PG. WWE is mostly aimed at kids so the MA rating might actually affect ratings.

They don’t get in trouble for over-classifying I suppose.

no it isn’t.

1 Like

+1. No way I’d let kids watch a lot of it.

People I know that watch it are either kids or men that never grew up.

3 Likes

its viewership is mostly adult men.

IIRC about 15% of the WWE audience is under 18 (but this used to be closer to 30% a decade or two ago) , however the average age of people watching is over 50.

I’d suggest the MA classification is nine covering their asses for content they haven’t reviewed prior to airing (in the same way that Ten gave Rove Live an M rating when it rarely ever needed it).

2 Likes

It’s PG13 in the US.
Interestingly, Foxtel rate it M and Nine rate it MA. No idea why, it’s exactly the same show.
I’m a long time WWE fan, I agree these days it is aimed at children much more than it used to be. Simply, kids want merchandise. Pester power is a wonderful thing for them.

Ten have often used “it may contain” for a program that’s live and can’t be properly classified, or at least given consumer advice (though I think sometimes if a script or run down is prepared which explicitly states specific coarse language for example that will be used does occur, example: Logies and possibly Footy Show that seem to carry specific consumer advice)