Classic TV Listings

Wikipedia says Play Away ran from 1971 to 1984 on Saturday afternoon on BBC2. It was a sister program to Play School.

Sadly, out of the 191 episodes made, 132 have been wiped.

1 Like

Today’s TV: 5.5.1979, Victoria

Source: TV Week

3 Likes

Today’s TV: 7.5.1983, Melbourne:

Regional Victoria

3 Likes

I like that RTS5A is showing a repeat of Tomorrow’s Weather.

Handy if the weather is the same as today’s. :rofl:

Today’s TV: 8.5.1976, New South Wales/ACT

2 Likes

Today’s TV: 8 May 2006, Perth
Source: The West Australian

I noticed that the Dr Phil episode was rated MA15+ at noon time. Although I was too young to watch that show (given that I was in school), I believed that this contained a lot of strong themes.

4 Likes

Most likely a mistake. No chance they’re airing MA15+ at noon.

5 Likes

Back then, they couldn’t air anything MA15+ rated before 9:00pm; nowadays 8:30pm is the cutoff.

Normally, they would air M-rated content between 12:00pm and 3:00pm except during the school holidays when the kids would be at home.

It could also (indirectly) be a reason why episodes of Married at First Sight that air on Mondays-Wednesdays during the aforementioned period are classified PG as opposed to M (only Sunday episodes are classified PG as they start at 7:00pm).

Which begs the question - could the networks start airing M-rated content at 7:00pm? I’ve noticed that television these days are more adult-oriented (though happy to be corrected/debated on this point).

5 Likes

Friday 9 May 1997, Sydney
Source: SMH

Plenty of sport but all on massive delay.

7 Likes

wow! no Simpsons at all on that schedule!

1 Like

Anyone remember Sliders?

1 Like

I think this was one of, if not the earliest attempt 10 made to replace 6pm Simpsons with something else. Don’t think it lasted more than a few months

2 Likes

i remember Brady Bunch at 6 when i was very VERY young in 1995/6

I think the 7.30 Super League game would have been live though.

3 Likes

Today’s TV: 10 May 2006, perth
Source: The West Australian

2 Likes

Can you remember if Nine shared the Super League broadcasting rights with pay TV in 1997?

I know that the Grand Final (Broncos vs Sharks) was on pay TV, while the ARL Grand Final (which featured the Sea Eagles and the Knights) was on Nine with Ray Warren and Peter Sterling in commentary. They cut off its Melbourne viewers just before the trophy presentation.

2 Likes

The better grand final. The grand final that saved rugby league.

3 Likes

Yes, Super League was practically bankrolled by News Ltd, so ALL Super League games were on FOX Sports.

Nine also got Monday night Super League rights, the ABC had Sunday games.

Nine also had ARL games on Friday nights and Saturday afternoons. I don’t think they had Sunday afternoon ARL games though (?).

The Super League Grand Final game that you referred to was also on Nine.

4 Likes

I definitely agree - it was one of the great deciders. Right up there with the 2015 finale in terms of the drama and not knowing who would win until the death (or in extra time, in the case of eight years ago).

As far as I can remember this must’ve been one of the first few broadcasting packages where two FTA networks were involved in televising the one sport; of course Nine and Ten shared the AFL FTA rights between 2002-06 (though Ten were given exclusivity to finals while the Brownlow Medal alternated), followed by Seven and Ten sharing the same sport between 2007-11 (with finals shared, and the pre-season GF, Brownlow and GF alternating).

2 Likes