Classic TV Listings

The Chaser used to air at 10:15pm on Friday nights before moving to 9.30pm Wednesdays in 2007 and 2009

2 Likes

Today’s TV: 30 June 2008, Perth
Source: The West Australian.

4 Likes

Strange Ten had Sports Tonight AFTER BB Up-Late at 12:30am, and no late news either.

Edit: Although looking at subsequent guides, it appears Up-Late was scheduled as a 10:30 program that year which explains how the schedule ended up the way it did.

3 Likes

Today’s TV: 2 July 2008, Perth
Source: The West Australian

I noticed that Channel 10 showed friends at 6, while on the nine guide they showed it at 3:30am the following day. :thinking:

3 Likes

Today’s TV: 2.7.1982, Melbourne

Source: The Australian Women’s Weekly

4 Likes

IIRC Sports Tonight was contracted to be ran every Friday at this time regardless of how late it was scheduled due to an in-show sponsorship for one of the betting agencies. Resulted in some absurd timeslots (as late as 2am IIRC) by modern standards.

5 Likes

My theory might be wrong but I also think the reason why the Friday edition of Sports Tonight remained separate from the main Ten Late News bulletin (as opposed to Mondays-Thursdays when the two aired as a merged bulletin) was so they could recap the night’s footy results in detail. This became quite important between 2007-11 when there were two Friday night NRL matches being played simultaneously.

If I also remember correctly, once in 2003 Ten’s Late News aired at 1:00am on a Friday night/Saturday morning - possibly because there was an AFL match being played that night between the Sydney Swans and Melbourne that Ten aired (normally, Nine would air Friday night AFL matches but it had already televised the Essendon vs Collingwood Anzac Day match that day).

4 Likes

Today’s TV: 3 July 2008, Perth

I noticed that Gladiators was shown at a special time at 7:30pm in Perth.

3 Likes

Today’s TV: 3.7.1987, Melbourne

Source: TV Scene

The last day’s listing from the last issue of TV Scene

4 Likes

How is Ten getting away with screening Grizzly Adams in the 4pm time slot? I recall Jared Robinson being a presenter on Ten’s Ridgey Didge kids show, but I’d hardly consider Grizzly Adams, as much as I loved it as a kid, to be a ‘C’ classified show aimed solely at kids.

1 Like

I don’t know but they ran it as a “C” series for years. Probably about as sensible as Ten showing The Wonder Years as “C” rated in the '90s as the lead-in to the 5.00 news.

1 Like

Pot Luck on Ten at midday, loved the amateur musicians who performed on it and Bernard King’s constructive (or should I say destructive?) criticisms on each of these acts. The worst of the worst got on the Toilet Break on the ABC’s Late Show in 1993. One of the highlights of the show.

3 Likes

Today’s TV: 4 July 2005, Perth, WA

3 Likes

Today’s TV: 7.7.2003, Melbourne

Source: TV Week

9 Likes

Today’s TV: Friday 7th July 2006, Perth, WA

That night there was a Friday Night Footy Match between the Fremantle Dockers and Essendon at Subiaco Oval. WIN showed the game live at 6:30pm, while Nine Perth showed the game on delay at 7:30PM.
On that guide, Nine/WIN showed a Rugby League match between Storm and Broncos at 5:30am the following day.

5 Likes

This happened whenever they had sports coverage overnight, usually tennis. In NSW/QLD, it would be AFL in that Saturday morning slot.

4 Likes

It was not often VFL highlights were shown in Sydney in early evening (in this case on the ABC before the 6.55pm weather and 7pm news).

3 Likes

Today’s TV: 8 July 2005, Perth, WA
Source: The West Australian

Nine and WIN showed an AFL match between the Kangaroos and the West Coast Eagles at a special time at 6:30pm in WA (Perth viewers missed out on the A Current Affair and Temptation). Over in WIN Territory, they showed A Current Affair at a special time at 9:45pm and Temptation at an earlier time at 4:30pm.

6 Likes

Today’s TV: 8.7.1974, Adelaide

Source: TV Guide

4 Likes

Loved Class of ‘74/‘75 though I’m sure I was a little young to be watching lol

1 Like