Classic TV Listings

Today’s TV: 4.9.1988, Brisbane

Source: Scene On TV/The Sunday Mail

• QTQ9’s Dean Felton (now at Seven Melbourne) hosts documentary series Inside The Reef
  • TV0’s final Sunday night movie (before becoming Channel Ten the following weekend) is The Year My Voice Broke
5 Likes

That is interesting that TVQ was still on VHF 0 this day 29 years ago.
As I was up there in late September and they had moved to VHF 10 by then.

A quick Google search tells me that the switch occurred only 6 days after the above guide was published.
Doesn’t look to be any promotion of that there.

1 Like

Channel Ten in Sydney also aired The Year My Voice Broke that night, so presumably it was Movie Of The Week across the network:

Looking at Sydney TV guides for the same day, there’s actually a number of differences between that and the Brisbane TV schedule for that day…

*Ten Sydney had the “Good Day” religious program at 6.30am instead of Footprints (which I presume was a different religious program). The programing of the Sydney & Brisbane stations remains the same until 4pm when Ten Sydney had You Again followed by The Tall Ships at 4.30pm.
*Ten Sydney aired it’s news at 5.30pm to accommodate it’s edited “State Bank Big Game” rugby league broadcast for 90 minutes from 6pm followed by The Comedy Company at 7.30pm.
*While TVO gave “This Week At Expo” a pre-news airing, Ten Sydney showed it at 12.40am! :open_mouth:
*Nine Sydney’s 2pm movie was Ohms, with Sports Sunday airing from 4pm to 6pm.
*Channel Seven Sydney had it’s own 6am-9am and 10.30pm-midnight programing, including Please Explain (aired at 6am and 11.30pm), Cartoon Connection from 6.30am and Falcon Crest after the movie at 10.30pm.
*On the ABC, the regional NSW service broke away from Sunday Afternoon at 2.55pm for a (live?) telecast of the Balmain vs Cronulla rugby league match before re-joining the show at 4.45pm.
*Regional areas of NSW had the same programing as ABC Brisbane from 9.20pm until a 12.10am closedown, but Sydney had the Rugby League highlights, the Rugby Union highlights, Music Gallery (the Sydney Symphony Orchestra performing works by Berlioz and Mozart) followed by a 12.05am close.

1 Like

It’s interesting that Ten had it news at 5.30pm to accommodate it’s edited “State Bank Big Game” rugby league broadcast for 90 minutes. At some point, Ten carried the full match didn’t they?

Unusual that both the ABC and TVQ had the Sydney rugby league on, the same game as well (I assume that was a finals match).

I don’t recall that happening in Sydney, not on a Sunday anyway?

The edited “State Bank Big Game” broadcast at 6pm with news at 5.30pm might’ve been a Ten Sydney-specific thing (remembering that this was back in the early days of TV networking, when stations had more local autonomy than they do now), but I’d have to check on that.

What I do know is that something similar was also happening in 1989 and possibly other years that Ten had the rights to broadcast rugby league.

The Cronulla vs Balmain game that day was a Preliminary Finals match, the last of the 1988 NSW-RL season before the following Sunday’s Grand Final.

1 Like

The magazine did acknowledge the pending changeover on page 3 of the magazine:

brisbane10

Rival magazine TV Extra (in the Sunday Sun) also mentioned the upcoming changeover to 10 but failed to make the change on the actual listing, continuing to list it as TV0 on the day it was to become Ten.

brisbane10_0001

6 Likes

The show used to get similar treatment in Melbourne, it used to be on very late Sunday night but also for a while got a 6am run… one extreme to the other!

It was hosted initially by Anna McMahon but then Fiona Crawford took over towards the end of its run.

1 Like

Today’s TV: 8.9.1988, Brisbane

Source: TV Week

• Bush Tucker Man was something of a hit on ABC if I recall correctly
  • Lots of Australian drama with Home And Away and Rafferty’s Rules on Seven, The Flying Doctors on Nine, and Neighbours and Richmond Hill on TV0.
  • Bicentennial Minutes with the recently departed Peter Luck airs several times during the day on Seven
  • Assuming Exposay is some sort of nightly wrap-up of World Expo 88, on Nine, although TV0 was the host broadcaster of Expo.
  • Even SBS is getting into the soaps with the UK series Brookside
  • TV0 shuts down for the night at midnight before a Channel 10 test transmission (The Jesse Owens Story) ahead of the proper switchover of TV0 to Brisbane Ten on Saturday
3 Likes

I don’t think SBS stuck with Brookside for very long, did they? I’m not sure when it started and finished on SBS or whether they ran it from episode one (Nov 82 in the UK). That synopsis implies they are a couple of years at least behind the UK - though it was only shown twice a week there in the 80s so SBS could have caught up quite quickly.

The synopsis for Home and Away is obviously wrong - the programme never had episode titles!

I think SBS started Brookside in 1985 or 86 (EDIT: It was actually 26 January 1987), initially weeknights at 6.00. I remember watching a few episodes but don’t remember anything much other than it was set in some suburban cul de sac? Bit like Neighbours?

I’d say it must have. Every episode that week has the same title When The Bough Breaks, with the week starting with Roo (Justine Clarke) going into labour. The following week’s episodes were titled The Cradle Will Fall., and the next week Down Will Come Baby.

The nursery rhyme theme for titles obviously ran out because a couple of months later, for the week 14-18 November the episodes were titled Dealing In Futures. I’ve never watched Home And Away with any regularity so perhaps the titles didn’t appear on screen?

I know Neighbours used to have episode titles a few years ago. They were (AFAIK) usually clever puns about the storyline or characters focused on that week.

1 Like

Brookside was set in a suburban new-build cul-de-sac (in Liverpool), but that’s where any similarities to Neighbours ended. In its early days it dealt with social issues - some characters had moved there from upmarket areas, others came from social housing and were owning their first home. Much of the early episodes dealt with the tensions between residents from differing backgrounds, and explored social issues such as unemployment, “fiddle jobs”, unionism in Thatcher’s Britain, drug use and general larrakin behaviour. It was seen as the most realistic of the UK soaps and often broke the mould - featuring the UK’s first pre-watershed lesbian kiss, amongst other controversial storylines. Later it tended to feature more sensational plots, such as explosions, sieges and incest - some of which werent so well received. It ran for 21 years in the UK.

As for Home and Away, it certainly had no episode titles onscreen - this is the first I’ve heard of such titles existing. Intriguing!!

Today’s TV: 10.9.1978, Brisbane. Ten years to the day before TVQ0 became TVQ10

• You Say The Word, which was a WIN4 production but shown in some cities on the 0-10 Network, is shown in Brisbane on Seven.
  • The 50th Australian Grand Prix is on ABC but this was before it became part of the Formula One international circuit and presumably without all the glamour and hype that it would come to represent later on. Technically it was only the 48th Grand Prix but the first race was held in 1928, so this was its 50th anniversary.
  • The Winners on ABC presents highlights of the previous day’s VFL matches (and on the Saturday afternoon, BTQ7 had live coverage of one VFL match from the round)
5 Likes

Today marks the 61st anniversary of the launch of television in Australia, in particular TCN9 in Sydney.

The TV listing for that first week:

Source: The Daily Telegraph

3 Likes

Today’s TV: 16.9.1961, Perth

Source: TV Times

• Only 2 channels, ABW2 and TVW7.
  • ABC’s national Six O’Clock Rock comes on after Seven’s local show, Teenbeat.
  • Seven has It Could Be You (from GTV9) and The Bobby Limb Show (TCN9) from the east coast. Not sure if these were on kinescope or videotape, as the latter was still in its infancy.
  • Four Corners is on at 10.00pm.
2 Likes

Four Corners at 10pm on a Saturday is odd, although TV was so early everything would have been fairly popular surely?

Pretty much. I don’t know anything of the logistics but I wonder too if the show was barely in the can in Sydney that day before a copy was flown over to Perth, maybe necessitating a later airtime.

Although it’s not clear if the episode aired in Perth was the same as the one that aired on the east coast the same night.

1 Like

Today’s TV: 18.9.1961, Melbourne

2 Likes

Canned Fruits Corner, showing how to make canned pears with rice cream. I should buy some canned pears and canned rice cream and try that.

3 Likes

Today’s TV: 19.9.1974, Sydney:

• When we used to have game shows in the afternoon… Spending Spree, Temptation and Concentration. There used to be The Price Is Right as well but looks like it was gone by this stage.
  • Blind Date was in the 1970s what Perfect Match was in the 1980s but probably with less shoulder pads
  • John Bailey hosted 0-10’s new current affairs program 24 Hours but it flopped
  • Class Of 74 was the first of the big teenage soaps in Australia, while Ten has Matlock Police, Number 96 and The Box running back-to-back.
  • ABC has its historical drama Rush, of course later re-voiced as “The Olden Days” on The Late Show 20 years later :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Afternoon show The Mike Walsh Show gets a late-night re-run on Ten.
4 Likes