General TV History

It’s a font. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font

See how it matches the 7, 9 and 10.

7 Likes

As pointed out. Is not a logo. Just a number. #MyFriends

2 Likes

Found this through Google: http://marconiintelevision.pbworks.com/w/page/85042534/Reflections%20by%20Shaun%20Metcalf

Hey #myfriends, do anyone know if there is/was that segment on Aussie TV (@TelevisionAU, you answer first) :

there is/was a segment on TV that announce who are missing, so that people around a local area, or around the country, find him/her then contact to his/her family’s number (that number is part of the segment) to said that like “I found him/her”

IINM, the process to make anyone on screen as part of that segment is, the people of family (usually mom/dad) will contact with, or go to, the TV station’s HQ/office. Some informations are required to make people easily to find who are missing (such as: age, height, weight, skin, hair, and telephone number, which those who find him/her will contact to that tel. number).

After these informations are filled out (we called it “thủ tục”), you’ll need to wait a “few moment” to your “missing people” is on TV.

In my country, these segment is broadcast very frequently. We called it as “Tìm người thân”, #myfriends

This is an open forum anyone is welcome to answer and discuss it is not dependent on anyone answering “first” #myfriend

5 Likes

This thread has been derailed in recent times. The intent of this thread is to discuss our TV History. While we encourage users to ask questions to further their knowledge, the fact that it has taken over this thread shows that this is not the place to do it.

I have created a dedicated new thread where users can ask questions about TV History, and others can provide answers.

I’d welcome any feedback on this new arrangement. The TV History thread is quite a busy one, and I wouldn’t mind hearing suggestions on other spinoff threads (in the vein of Classic TV Listings that could potentially fill out a TV History subcategory.

28 Likes

Good idea!

13 Likes

Me/#Myfriends/@TelevisionAU/@ElCapitanCranky/@…/fisher:

GIVE ME THE LOCAL NEWS

Prime/WIN/SC: NO, WE CAN’T

I still have a 2010 era LG LED HDTV (that does MPEG4 H.264 + all audio except for DTS which no one cares about anyway) and used to watch the following:

• Bigpond AFL
  • Bigpond NRL
  • Bigpond Supercars
  • ^Bigpond News (white label version of Sky News minus the right wing nut job pundits shows)
  • Bigpond Sports Fan
  • Bigpond Music (that is not the name of of that channel, I don’t remember the actual name)

Did I miss any other channels? Sports Fan was a weird channel from memory but thy also sold some shows to Seven Network which had them on 7mate (in HD1080i back in that time period).

• access to Bigpond Movies, it was basically Telstra T-Box without the need for the actual T-Box STU or access to PVR which was no big deal as the LG does have ability to record with an external HDD.

^ I remember watching on Bigpond News the Gillard v Rudd showdown where she said she was not interested in the top job but within the next 13 hours she was PM.

Worked great also, but I did laugh when ever you did a line speed check the report back was “you don’t have enough bandwidth” to view these channels but worke fine no issues, lol sure Telstra since I had (still have) Optus HFC back then it was 30Mbits today 100Mbits …

It stopped working when LG stopped doing updates for their TV’s that had access to LG Netcast, that was around 2014, the only remaining active service on LG Netcast is vTuner Online radio and access to arcade games.

5 Likes

BPM was the music channel.

1 Like

Yep that’s right thanks for that reminder on the name.

I just checked my old LG TV and tried to access Netcast, message says, service no longer available, even vTuner no longer works, so I unplugged the ethernet cable and removed the TV MAC address from the routers dedicated IP bandwidth access

1 Like

I think we got the point from your earlier post.

9 Likes

Optus HFC is still around 30Mpbs on the base plan, AFAIK Telstra is around 100Mbps now. Optus is pretty stable now that all of the customers have gone to nbn.

I think they have upped it to maximum 50Mbits to match what they now offer for fixed line NBN as Telstra did with their remaining HFC customer base, of course Telstra also upped the return path to 5Mbits while Optus have kept the standard 2.5Mbits return parth speed, a friend has standard Optus HFC and now gets minimum 48Mbits down.

Does not bother me, I have had premium speed pack (mind you FREE) 100Mbits/2.5Mbits now since oh gees what 2012? when Optus issued me with the DOCSIS 3.0 CISCO DPQ 3925 cable modem, simply put it into bridge mode (which was harder than it should of been thanks to Optus removing the option to do it via HTML web code) and connected via ethernet to a TP-LINK WiFi N Dual Band Router which pumps out 300Mbits on 2.4GHz (using WiFi Channel 6) and 300Mbits on 5GHz (using High Power WiFi channel 149), looking at my link speed for 2.4GHz its bang 300Mbits and for 5GHz its 120Mbits at a distance away from the router of about 40 meters.

Looking at NBN Co website my street has again been changed again (for the 3rd time this year), HFC is still the technology choice offered (I can get Telstra HFC right now if need be but really they have nothing that is beating what I am getting now with exception to mobile 4G LTE, Optus is awful in this region on that front if you don’t have ability to lock network bands it reverts to crappy 2.3GHz LTE, reminds me of Galaxy then Tarbs at how spotty that network band is :wink: ) now reporting October to December 2020 … geesh on one hand Im happy to be still with Optus HFC on the other hand its pissing me off that NBN Co can’t offer HFC to me right now even though I could get Telstra HFC tomorrow.

/end rant

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: TV History - Questions

Yes called the News and it normally in a press conference with a Police Detective and crying family.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/518Q2GGK63L.jpg

For some reason ABC has waited until now to put up a clip of its news coverage from when Prime Minister Harold Holt was feared drowned. It would have been probably of more interest at the actual 50th anniversary late year.

Sydney newsreader is Rod McNeil followed by a live cross to Bob Willcox in Melbourne presenting live in a five-state linkup, probably quite rare at the time.

YouTube: ABC Library Sales

5 Likes

Interesting the difference between the Melbourne and Sydney studios - with the predominantly dark coloured one in Melbourne - which looks like it’d be easier to do those kind of graphic overlays on to?

One line that stood out is “about now, eastern time” - surely ‘now’ isn’t timezone dependent. It might make sense if there’s a tape delay, but I wouldn’t have thought they’d have one.

1 Like

NOTE
THE
WHITE
CIRCLED
#myfriends

What are you asking? That logo is for GTS-BKN for the Spencer Gulf & Broken Hill, more specifically BKN7 which was the original Broken Hill station.

1 Like