Classic TV Listings

Today’s TV: 25.7.1985, Melbourne

Source: TV Week

3 Likes

Beyond 2000 debuting on a Thursday in Melbourne. IIRC, it ran on Tuesday nights in Sydney and eventually when HSV7 was taken over by Fairfax, Melbourne had little option but followed suit and moved Beyond 2000 to Tuesday.

The Mike Walsh Show must not have been long to go. It was reported to be in trouble before this stage so its days must have been almost numbered.

If I was ever allowed to stay up, I’d have watched The Twilight Zone. But I was probably only able to do so during school holidays :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Walsh was axed two weeks later, with the last show on 8 August.

3 Likes

Today’s TV: 27.7.1981, Adelaide

3 Likes

27.07.2012, Melbourne. London 2012 Opening Ceremony (was shown the next day AEST due to time difference)

Source: The Age Green Guide

7 Likes

A bit low resolution for reading.

2 Likes

Today’s TV: 27.7.1984, Queensland

4 Likes

Love the 4IP inspired denim zipper 4AY logo.

1 Like

Today’s TV: 28.7.1988, Sydney

3 Likes

What was Guy Blackmore’s role on 7’s news.

Don’t know. Until I saw this I didn’t even realise he’d been on in Sydney after being in Adelaide for years.

Sports presenter would be my guess.

Aside from those couple of months (if that?) of Clive Robertson in 1989, I think Seven’s Sydney news was weather presenter-free from the time Mike Bailey moved to the ABC in the mid-1980s until Adam Digby’s move up from Ten Melbourne in 1996…

2 Likes

According to an article in the SMH, Guy Blackmore presented weather on the bulletin.

I recall Clive Robertson doing the weather on Seven News when they reverted to the 30 minute format in January 1988 but he didn’t last very long. Clive’s relaxed, non traditional, jokey style (he presented at the desk holding up charts with a texta in hand) was rumoured to have caused tension. I watched the bulletin at the time but have no memory of Guy Blackmore presenting weather. He was with 2UE in early 1988 and ended up presenting breakfast on 2CH by the end of that year. He mustn’t have stuck around ATN for very long.

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 4.44.07 PM

2 Likes

Ahh, well in that case I stand corrected.

I just assumed he might’ve done Sports because if I’m not mistaken, Seven didn’t have any overly longlasting weather presenters on their main Sydney news bulletin between the tenures of Mike Bailey (who I presume may have taken the lead when Alan Wilkie moved to Nine) and Adam Digby (who was there for about eight years, albeit with a diversion to weekends in 1997-98 for Brian Bury).

2 Likes

Sport was done by Garry Wilkinson in 1988
Mike Raymond 1989
Jon Brady 1990-91
Cam Williams 1991-1995
Garry Wilkinson again 1996-97
Neil Brooks 1998-99

6 Likes

I remember when Johanna Griggs was the weekend sports presenter around 94-95

3 Likes

…and was sacked by fax in 1996, two weeks before returning from maternity leave! :confused:

Thankfully after doing various bits and pieces for other networks + some ad work, ​Seven later saw the error of their ways and signed Joh up for their coverage of the Sydney Olympics in 2000 (I think at fairly short notice, after Tracy Holmes was sacked) ​​and on a fulltime basis from January 2001.

Melbourne TV: Saturday 29 July 1972
from The Age

2 Likes

Classy

Today’s TV: 29.7.1960, Melbourne

Source: TV Times

3 Likes