Classic TV Listings

Look at the calibre of those weekend newsreaders :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Today’s TV: 5.5.1975, Melbourne

Source: TV Week

4 Likes

The debut of the appalling Love Thy Neighbour in Australia. Trash. Worse than the local versions of Father Dear Father and Are You Being Served?, and they were both pitiful. Doctor Down Under was alright, iirc.

2 Likes

Nine’s “Tonight Show” was a generic holding pattern with temporary hosts in that awkward time between Graham Kennedy’s sudden exit from Nine and the launch of The Don Lane Show?

There used to be video of HSV7’s The Charles Skase Show on YouTube. Groundbreaking morning TV, with no expense spared… not

3 Likes

From what I remember all of these local versions were inferior to the originals. Ten repeated Are You Being Served a fair bit so I remember that one more than the others. And Love Thy Neighbour In Australia included Robert Hughes in the cast and so is probably best forgotten for many reasons.

1 Like

They kinda dropped the ball by not calling the Aussie version Are You Being Served Down Under?.

6 Likes

And Ten often brought Benny Hill to Australia to do a few specials. As well he did ads for Waltons’ department store.

2 Likes

Melbourne TV listings: Saturday 6 May 2000
from The Sunday Age

8 Likes

The House Of Hits versus Starstruck! What a battle :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Judge Judy on Saturday night?
I remember she was bumped from her 1pm weekday timeslot to 6pm to make room for Judge Joe Brown, then reverted to 1pm and then to 3pm where she is to this day, except for a time last year where where she fluctuated around 2:30-3pm.
The Saturday showing must of been short lived.

1 Like

I do remember Ten trying Judge Judy at 6pm Saturday in February/March 2012.

Lasted less than a month IIRC.

1 Like

Anyone remember when Ten had Jerry Springer and WWF/WWE wrestling on Saturday nights in the early 00s?

1 Like

Today’s TV: 6.5.1986, Melbourne

Source: TV Week

6 Likes

The World Around Us, AFL, The Bill and Good News Week - what a night of viewing. By contrast, Saturday nights these days deliver slim pickings if you’re not a sports fan

6 Likes

Today’s TV: 6.5.1962, Melbourne

Source: TV Times

3 Likes

GTV9 (@ 2.15pm) and HSV7 (@ 5.30pm) both had shows titled “Meet the Press” ?

Also HSV7 didn’t have a weekend news bulletin at this time. Only a headline update at 7.30pm

3 Likes

According to The Age, Nine’s appears to be a Sydney-based program. And I’m pretty sure Seven’s is Melbourne-based.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=6KATAAAAIBAJ&sjid=G6wDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7057%2C475461

6 Likes

Even in the early days of television, I’m surprised they got away with two programs having the same name.

2 Likes

Wait till 20 years later when Seven and Ten launched identical shows called Beauty And The Beast :wink:

9 Likes
6 Likes