Classic TV Listings

You sound like Paul Murray saying that…

6 Likes

Even Caroline Wilson on Footy Classified last week referred to it as Channel 2. Surprising given she appears on Offsiders

the Channel 2 reference seems quaint and outdated but still makes sense given it’s the actual digital channel number, and in all parts of Australia, whereas historically analogue ABC was largely on Channel 2 mostly in the capital cities.

6 Likes

It’s also an age thing, and a bit of where you’re from. People from regional and rural areas and older people seem to call it channel 2, even if it used to be on another frequency!

4 Likes

Commercial networks don’t usually like acknowledging rival brands.

Referring to it as Channel 2 is probably a convenient way to avoid saying “ABC”. Though that tactic obviously won’t work with 7 or 10, but might with FOXTEL!

1 Like

I’m reminded that it was sometime in the early-mid 2000s I heard a radio announcer, and not an old one by any means, refer to SBS as Channel 0.

SBS hadn’t been on the VHF band since 1986!

7 Likes

Some people have called it 28 which it isn’t since analog went off, I guess some people just associate channels with the numbers they were used to.

2 Likes

Though I am sure I will NEVER hear Prime being referred to as Channel 54 here (which was their main UHF frequency in Newcastle when they first started in 1992) :smile:

Conversely I’ve heard 9NBN refer to themselves as “Channel 8” on radio ads on the Central Coast.

WIN’s social media posts refer to Channel 8 or 80 HD

1 Like

Today’s TV: 11.7.1965, Adelaide.

Includes radio programs and a teaser ad for the upcoming new Channel 10.

Source: TV-Radio Guide

6 Likes

My mum’s auntie who lived in Wollongong for decades still referred to WIN as Channel 4 even well into the 2010’s before she passed.

In Western Sydney, many people I know referred to Southern Cross Ten as Capital years after they stopped using that name on air.

3 Likes

Heard Neil Mitchell introduce an excerpt from an interview Hamish MacDonald did with Dan Andrews on ABC Radio National early this week by referring to the source as “state radio”.

1 Like

Gosh this is tedious. Especially given his station and employer’s ties to the Liberal Party, what does that make 3AW?

4 Likes

Today’s TV: 11.7.1980, Melbourne

Source: TV Guide

The 7.00pm timeslot would get a shake-up from the following Monday with Nine’s Sale Of The Century making its debut.

The Sullivans, which has been airing 7.00pm Monday to Thursday, returned the following week as two 1-hour episodes a week, Monday and Thursday at 7.30pm.

6 Likes

Federal radio?

My grandparents who lived in the Wide Bay area, simply referred to channel 6 (ABC) and 8 (WBQ/SEQ).

My auntie who also lived there had a large antenna installation originally installed for watching Brisbane and Darling Downs. Once 6 and 8 started, she still add the option of additional channels 0 from Brisbane and 10 from Darling Downs.

1 Like

Bring back Sheriff Lobo!

3 Likes

I recall NBN being referred to being Channel 9 (affiliation) on Channel 3 (what they used to be called before referring to themselves as just NBN) on Channel 10 (Rossgole Lookout translator) up here.

Long time visitors will know what my first MS username was based upon that information.

3 Likes

Today’s TV: 12.7.1965, Adelaide

and now SBS is back on the VHF band in capital cities.

1 Like