Classic TV Listings

I wonder why Rex was moved nto the hosting and experts chair. Was it because of the stroke, or was it because they could get Maurice from 9?

Today’s TV: 13.11.1988, Perth

Source: The Sunday Times TV Extra

• The Formula 1 Grand Prix is live from Adelaide
  • 60 Minutes celebrates its 10th anniversary (it actually began February 1979 so this episode marked the end of the 10th year on air)
5 Likes

Today’s TV: 16.11.1998, Melbourne:

Source: TV Week

• Because Channel 7 was having success with Better Homes And Gardens, Channel Ten decided to get on the cross-media bandwagon and joined up with Family Circle magazine for a daytime show, FCTV, hosted by Penny Cook. IIRC it was produced live to air but did not last long.
  • The final episode for the year of In Melbourne Tonight with Frankie J Holden and Julia Morris. I don’t think it returned in 1999.
  • Network Ten soap Breakers screened at 11.30pm with a repeat of the previous episode earlier at 3.30pm.
  • Curiously, TV Week lists an British series The Hello Girls (ABC) as a highlight even though it’s “Coming Soon”. I know they used to do that sort of thing because sometimes state-based schedules varied even though the highlights pages were national, but I can’t imagine ABC having too many local variations on this occasion! Strange that TV Week could not have found something else to fill that section.

and the Pay TV listings for the same day:

Odd that Foxtel has Nickelodeon on Channel 1, but TV1 on Channel 15?

2 Likes

MASH repeats on Channel Ten at 6pm! I wonder when that program moved over to Seven (before One repeated the show more recently) because I’m sure it was in the 5pm timeslot for quite a while during the 2000s.

Presumably Four Corners and Media Watch had already wrapped up for the year, judging by their notable absence from the ABC’s programing lineup?

So many channels that have since rebranded or are no longer with us!

I don’t know when the change happened, but I’m pretty sure TV1 moved to Channel 1 (with Nickelodeon on Channel 5…I think) on Foxtel analogue cable by the Early 2000s.

2 Likes

and no “iconic” Simpsons… and yet we somehow survived :wink:

2 Likes

The Larry Sanders Show finale was only 6 months delayed on Foxtel - relatively short delay considering similar programming of the time was often delayed for 2 years or longer on FTA.

Mossop wasn’t really a great ball-by-ball caller after he had that stroke. He was no longer up to calling a game, so Graeme Hughes moved to his seat, and Ian Maurice joined the team too.

Bet that didn’t last long. Pretty sure in the following year they had Judge Judy at 6pm with Simpsons at 7pm.

Today’s TV: 19.11.1996, Melbourne.

• ABC celebrates the 40th anniversary of ABV2 in Melbourne with 40 Years In The Making – ABC TV Melbourne. I expect that this was only shown in Victoria.
  • SBS has a Mexican telenovela Den Of Wolves at 6.00pm. Disappointing to see that foreign language drama just doesn’t get much of a go on SBS these days, whether it’s soaps or otherwise – unless it’s a nordic crime drama then they’re all over it. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
  • Some classic Aussie drama during the day with re-runs of A Country Practice on Seven and Prisoner on Ten.
  • The Perth-based teen drama Sweat plays its final episode in the midnight graveyard shift.
3 Likes

In Sydney/NSW and probably most other states, The Bill and G.P was scheduled to air on ABC-TV (at 8pm and 8.30pm respectively) during those 90 minutes that ABC Victoria broke away for their local 40th anniversary special before re-joining the network for “Calling The Shots” at 9.30pm.

Probably the program on the schedule I found most interesting, 11.15pm on Nine: NFL Game of the Week hosted by Eddie McGuire! :open_mouth:

I can’t see if ABC re-scheduled those shows for Victoria. Maybe they just got skipped for that week.

@SydneyCityTV I hope you don’t mind me asking but where did you find that listing for NSW for 1996?

2 Likes

As I’ve mentioned before, Newspapers.com has a good chunk of editions for The Sydney Morning Herald & The Age through until the early 2000s.

Full editions of the papers themselves are behind a paywall (which I probably would get one day for digitalised papers unavailable elsewhere online), although one can freely do a search of things and get tiny previews like this! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I see Better Homes and Gardens in the 7:30 Tuesday slot where it stayed for many years when it first started but only half an hour compared to now and then the Tuesday night staple of Blue Heelers.

I see 7:30 Report with Kerry O’Brien, was this the National one or still the state based shows? I’m trying to find when the state versions got axed - sorry, reduced to Friday nights before becoming Stateline. I think I remember Judy Tierney presenting the Tasmanian version until the late 90’s.

2 Likes

State editions were axed at the end of 1994.

1 Like

Oh wow, didn’t realise it was that far back! Thanks for that.

According to TV Week it was at the end of 1995, same time as The Investigators got the axe:

2 Likes

also:

• Seven showing classic movies from the 1960s in its midday movie timeslot, these days the movies are telemovies from the US Lifetime channel.
  • The original Star Trek late at night on Seven
  • Front Up, where Andrew L Urban does street vox pops, on SBS. No doubt the inspiration for “Street Talk” on the AFL footy show. I also recall Live and Sweaty on the ABC in the early 1990s used to have Peter “Crackers” Keenan doing a street talk segment.
1 Like

Get a State Library of NSW membership (available here - http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/forms/signup-for-a-library-card) and you can access the SMH Archives for free (via this link - Log in to eresources with your library card | State Library of NSW)

1 Like

I’m already aware of and indeed, have used those archives in the past to see TV guides and other Sydney broadcast media-related stories/advertisements from old editions (particularly from the 1990-February 1995 timeframe and others that Google News Archive doesn’t have) of the SMH. :slight_smile:

The reason I pointed out the Fairfax archives on Newspapers.com for the benefit of others on Media Spy is because even though those are behind a paywall, there’s papers there from as recently as the Early 2000s. The SMH Archives one can access with a SLNSW membership and that link don’t have any papers after February 1995.

2 Likes

Today’s TV: 25.11.2007, Melbourne

Free-To-Air

Pay TV

The last Sunday night of the 2007 ratings season, so there’s lots of season finals including The Einstein Factor, National Bingo Night, 60 Minutes, Australian Idol
ABC’s The Choir Of Hard Knocks presents a special sell-out performance at the Sydney Opera House… presumably pre-recorded as Australian Idol’s finale was live from the Opera House on the same night

3 Likes