Classic TV Listings

Today’s TV: 4.11.1959, Melbourne:

Source: TV News-Times

• HSV7 celebrates its 3rd birthday with an Anniversary Party, including variety performances, Geoff Raymond hosting a studio party, and Judd Laine’s classical dance based on the story of Hamlet.
  • Gwen Plumb hosts Woman’s World on ABV2. From what I gather, Woman’s World alternated between Melbourne and Sydney based shows. Given that there was no fixed link between Sydney and Melbourne for TV programs, I imagined the shows aired from interstate were on film or kinescope.
  • Autumn Affair, regarded as Australia’s first “soapie”, is broadcast on GTV9 in the afternoon. It was a production of ATN7 in Sydney, where it aired in a morning timeslot.
  • Channels 2, 7 and 9 all have competing children’s shows after 5.00pm, although HSV7 followed Young Seven with The Cool Cats Show, a “teenage after-school studio dance and hit-feast”!
3 Likes

Interesting to see the ABC crediting their “presentation announcers” - presumably continuity announcers. I assume they were live - I wonder if they appeared in vision?

GTV9 used to have ‘presentation announcers’ listed as well for some time during the 1960s. I can only assume they appeared on-screen but nothing to confirm that.

Channel 0/28 used to have continuity presenters on screen when it first launched in 1980 and then they briefly revived the idea when the name changed to SBS as they expanded to daytime hours.

2 Likes

Today’s TV: 6.11.1968, Melbourne:

Source: TV Week

• ATV0 has its customary live coverage of country race meetings, this time it’s from Kyneton. The coverage includes Jimmy Hannan’s segments of interviews, quizzes and competitions (I guess to fill some of the gaps in between races?)
  • Instead of The Morning Show, Studio 10 and Mornings, in 1968 it’s Woman’s World (hosted by Belle Nicholson and John Eden, incorrectly credited as Jack) on HSV7 and Roundabout (Roy Hampson and Katrina Pye) on ATV0
  • GTV9’s game show Let’s Make A Deal which runs weekday afternoons also has an evening edition on Wednesdays.
  • I’ve Married A Bachelor is a new Australian sitcom for ABC, starring Peter Whitford and June Thody.
  • ABC’s afternoon is interspersed with updates of the US elections
1 Like

I didn’t realise there was a 1960’s Today at 7am w/ Mike Walsh. Obviously a different kettle of fish to what it is today or even the 80’s reboot, but still interesting to know.

It began in 1968 as a Melbourne-only show but was replaced by a dual Sydney-Melbourne Today the following year.

YouTube: Australian TV Fan

2 Likes

Today’s TV: 7.11.1978, Melbourne:

Source: TV Times

The Melbourne Cup is broadcast live in Victoria for the first time – making this year’s Cup the 40th to be broadcast live in Victoria.

Also some obscure premieres in prime time on both Channels 7 and 0. I suspect that ratings are already over for the year and the B-grade fillers are taking over?? Also by the fact that Nine has bumped The Young Doctors from its usual 6.00pm timeslot to 8.30.

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware Nine did a double header news with Sir Eric and Hitch. I’m assuming that was to raise Hitch’s profile in the lead up to Pearce’s retirement, before they made the decision to poach Naylor from Seven?

2 Likes

Possibly, although Peter Hitchener had been a newsreader dating back to the News Centre 9 days a few years earlier but they then got Eric out of retirement in 1976 to lift sagging ratings. But it didn’t really work and by late 1978 he was soon to be “retired” again from newsreading but stayed on at 9 in an off-air capacity, and Hitch moved to weekends

Yes - and Coronation Street at 9pm (which was normally tucked away in daytime, I think).

1 Like

Today’s TV: 11.11.1977, Brisbane:

• None of the channels saw fit to list any minute’s silence at 11.00am but may have done it regardless. ABC would have been on a test pattern, anyway.
  • Channels 7, 9 and 0 all have their news at 6.00pm
  • Blankety Blanks on TVQ0 is followed by a quiz show, Second Chance, hosted by Earle Bailey
  • The truly awful Brady Bunch Variety Hour is on TVQ0
  • QTQ9 has the Sydney drama Case For The Defence, a short-lived legal drama that IIRC never played in Melbourne until outside of ratings several years later. This episode covered the case of “the supposed molestation of Jews by an Australian Nazi Party”.
3 Likes

I see Jo Pearson listed as reader for TVQ0

2 Likes

I wonder why Rex was moved nto the hosting and experts chair. Was it because of the stroke, or was it because they could get Maurice from 9?

Today’s TV: 13.11.1988, Perth

Source: The Sunday Times TV Extra

• The Formula 1 Grand Prix is live from Adelaide
  • 60 Minutes celebrates its 10th anniversary (it actually began February 1979 so this episode marked the end of the 10th year on air)
5 Likes

Today’s TV: 16.11.1998, Melbourne:

• Because Channel 7 was having success with Better Homes And Gardens, Channel Ten decided to get on the cross-media bandwagon and joined up with Family Circle magazine for a daytime show, FCTV, hosted by Penny Cook. IIRC it was produced live to air but did not last long.
  • The final episode for the year of In Melbourne Tonight with Frankie J Holden and Julia Morris. I don’t think it returned in 1999.
  • Network Ten soap Breakers screened at 11.30pm with a repeat of the previous episode earlier at 3.30pm.
  • Curiously, TV Week lists an British series The Hello Girls (ABC) as a highlight even though it’s “Coming Soon”. I know they used to do that sort of thing because sometimes state-based schedules varied even though the highlights pages were national, but I can’t imagine ABC having too many local variations on this occasion! Strange that TV Week could not have found something else to fill that section.

and the Pay TV listings for the same day:

Odd that Foxtel has Nickelodeon on Channel 1, but TV1 on Channel 15?

2 Likes

MASH repeats on Channel Ten at 6pm! I wonder when that program moved over to Seven (before One repeated the show more recently) because I’m sure it was in the 5pm timeslot for quite a while during the 2000s.

Presumably Four Corners and Media Watch had already wrapped up for the year, judging by their notable absence from the ABC’s programing lineup?

So many channels that have since rebranded or are no longer with us!

I don’t know when the change happened, but I’m pretty sure TV1 moved to Channel 1 (with Nickelodeon on Channel 5…I think) on Foxtel analogue cable by the Early 2000s.

2 Likes

and no “iconic” Simpsons… and yet we somehow survived :wink:

2 Likes

The Larry Sanders Show finale was only 6 months delayed on Foxtel - relatively short delay considering similar programming of the time was often delayed for 2 years or longer on FTA.

Mossop wasn’t really a great ball-by-ball caller after he had that stroke. He was no longer up to calling a game, so Graeme Hughes moved to his seat, and Ian Maurice joined the team too.

Bet that didn’t last long. Pretty sure in the following year they had Judge Judy at 6pm with Simpsons at 7pm.