Classic NZ TV Listings

It’s real neat to see the Channel numbers listed too… Timaru on VHF 4, I guess, pre-dates the Mt Studholme Transmitter (TV1 was on 7, and TV2 was on 1).

1 Like

Who would have thought 52 years later that ‘more doings in a Lancashire town’ would still be an evening staple in NZ (despite a ratings dip in the last decade)

2 Likes

In fact, Coronation Street was produced out of Manchester, not Lancashire.

Manchester was part of county Lancashire until the mid-1970s and is still regarded technically to be part of it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Whoops - my bad!

1 Like

Saturday 1 November 1986
from NZ Truth/TV Guide

3 Likes

Saturday 13 September 1986
from NZ Truth/TV Guide

2 Likes

Sunday 30 May 1965
from NZ Sunday Times

3 Likes

Saturday 6 May 1995
from This Week (photo courtesy of Reddit)

2 Likes

what was Coast To Coast Television?

1 Like

@TelevisionAU Coast to Coast Television was part of the Horizon Pacific Television group. Its regional television stations in Auckland, Waikato/Bay of Plenty, Wellington and Dunedin went to air in March 1995. (In November 1995, Christchurch’s CTV also joined the group.) Already they had attracted a high profile for their coverage of local news and issues and their high quality dramas, documentaries and specials.

The stations broadcast similar schedules but were not networked together.

ATV (Auckland), Coast to Coast (Waikato/Bay of Plenty), Capital City (Wellington), CTV (Christchurch) and Southern (Dunedin) each had their own news and sales teams and small production crews. Programme buying and national sales and marketing were coordinated from Horizon Pacific, the parent company, in Auckland.

Horizon Pacific Television was 100% owned by TVNZ. It was shut down in June 1997 due to a lack of profitability.

2 Likes

…to combat TV3’s new “youth channel” TV4. TVNZ hurriedly setup MTV, which lasted about a year before that proved a failure too. There were numerous complaints at the time, especially in Christchurch, that the state-owned channel was too focused on making money, rather than providing a service. Remember, they bought CTV, a long-standing regional station in Chch, only to pull the pug on it…

@TelevisionAU; as Paddy said, part of the Horizon Pacific Network. The original four were: ATV, Auckland; Coast to Coast, Hamilton/Tauranga; Capital Television, Wellington; and Southern Television, Dunedin.

@TV4 That’s Capital City Television, in fact.

1 Like

I stand corrected :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Saturday 7 January 1989
from the NZ Listener

TV One
6.45 Teletext in Vision
7.00 My Little Pony 'n Friends
7.25 Raccoons
7.55 Frog and Toad Are Friends
8.15 The New Adventures of Mighty Mouse
8.40 The Kidsongs TV Show
9.05 Yogi’s Treasure Hunt
10.20 The Muppet Show Command Performances
10.45 Bewitched
11.15 Space 1999
12.05 The High Chaparral
12.55 Breaking the Silence
1.25 Sport on One (Tennis, Bowls, Speedway)
6.00 The Spectacular World of Guinness Records
6.30 Network News and Sport
7.00 Cousteau: Amazon
7.55 Hilary
8.25 Casualty
9.20 Last of the Summer Wine
9.55 Network News
10.05 The Equalizer
11.00 The Two Ronnies
11.45 Closedown

Network Two (TV2)
11.20 Teletext in Vision
11.35 The Paper Lads
Noon Out of This World
12.25 Saturday Matinee: Above Us the Waves (1956)
2.05 Lost in Space
2.55 Entertainment This Week
3.45 The Betty White Show
4.10 Alison Holst’s Cooking Class
4.40 The Henderson Kids II
5.25 Wally Gator
5.45 Batman
6.10 Benson
6.40 Charles in Charge
7.05 Who’s the Boss?
7.35 Summertime Special: It’ll Be Alright on the Night 1
8.30 Lotto
8.35 21 Jump Street
9.30 The Saturday Night Movie: Where the Boys Are '84 (1984)
11.15 Late Movie: The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981)
1.25 Closedown

1 Like

Monday 16 August 1993
from the NZ Listener

6 Likes

I had no idea Home and Away screened on ONE back then along with Sally Jesse Raphael. Interesting also that 3 had an afternoon show called 5.30 Live.

1 Like
  • Home and Away was picked up by TVNZ in 1992 after airing on TV3 (now Three) for three years. During 1993, and in the first half of 1994, it was shown on TV One (now TVNZ 1) at around 4pm.
  • Sally Jessy Raphael, one of the world’s legendary talk show hosts (just like Phil Donahue) made her first appearance on New Zealand screens in 1993. It aired on TV One at 1pm before moving to the later timeslot of 2pm to avoid direct competition from Oprah over on 3. Donahue was on 3 at 12 noon.
  • 5.30 Live was a lifestyle magazine show that aired on 3 for two years. It screened weekdays as a lead-in to the news (at 6pm).
2 Likes

I love this era of NZ TV as I was just old enough to remember. Keep it coming @PaddyTePou!

2 Likes

@OnAir Thank you!