Christchurch Mosques Terror Attack - Coverage

Something like this?

5 Likes

The American election was easily planned for though whereas this was an unplanned news event.

4 Likes

6 Likes
1 Like

The AM show also had a custom background for the studio instead of the standard studio background.

Investigation into broadcasts of Christchurch terrorist attack

The ACMA has commenced a formal investigation into whether content broadcast by commercial, national and subscription broadcasters of Friday’s terrorist attack in Christchurch breached current rules.

The ACMA’s investigation will focus on any content of the perpetrator-filmed, live streamed footage of the shootings that was broadcast on Australian television.

The ACMA is also concerned about content made available or linked to on broadcasters’ websites. While this is currently beyond its regulatory remit, the ACMA is in close contact with the Australian Press Council as it reviews its members’ coverage of the attack.

In the first instance, ACMA Chair Nerida O’Loughlin will write to the CEOs of the commercial, national and subscription broadcasters requesting urgent information on the nature, extent and timing of the broadcast of content relating to the shootings, in particular from the day of the attack.

The ACMA will also request urgent meetings with the peak industry organisations—Free TV Australia and the Australian Subscription Television and Radio Association—to discuss whether current rules are providing adequate protections for Australian audiences.

2 Likes

Newshub will be airing earlier tonight at 5:30pm

1 Like

This is a bit of a NZ point but I’m stunned that neither TVNZ or Newshub has broken into programming the last couple of days for the PM’s news conferences the last couple of days. They have been aired on CNN or other international channels.

This could well be the biggest news event in NZ’s history and while the rolling coverage on Friday and Saturday morning was strong, as well as the evening news, I feel the ball has been dropped in the last couple of days. I don’t think rolling coverage is warranted anymore (I made my thoughts on this clear the other day in another thread) but breaking into programme for news coverage of media conferences and addresses should still be happening this close to the attack.

6 Likes

Newshub is now live with Samantha Hayes hosting

5 Likes

Samantha Hayes has touched down from the Middle East, where she was filming some long-form items. A shame she wasn’t there in the thick of probably one of the most biggest stories of her time.

1 Like

Of the reports from John Campbell I have seen they have been nothing but heart warming and touching.

4 Likes

Jeremy & Hilary are live in Christchurch tonight for Seven Sharp

Wendy Petrie talking to reporters from CNN International, BBC World News & CBC News

6 Likes

The Project is on Three, There is a studio audience tonight. Kanoa Lloyd is reporting from Christchurch and in studio tonight is Jeremy Corbett, Jesse Mulligan, Nadine Higgins & Patrick Gower

Here is Seven Sharp with a new bug “They are us”

4 Likes

Some caps from the afternoon news bulletins today.

Nine Sydney

Seven Adelaide

Newshub’s Mike and Melissa, and Kanoa Lloyd of The Project seen in the background of Geof Parry’s live cross.

7 Likes

There are so so many journalists from across the world on the ground in Christchurch. I genuinely can’t call to mind a story in New Zealand that has gotten this amount of attention. Maybe the earthquake?

Intriguing to observe as a media enthusiast here.

6 Likes

Media Watch tonight on the Christchurch attacks and how the media have covered it.

I’m afraid I disagree.
It’s time to get broadcasts back to the regular schedule. It keeps advertisers happy and it’s important for those affected psychologically to have things return to normal as soon as possible after an event. Also the breaking-news nature of the event has passed, there isn’t really any need to see the PM’s Press-conferences live.

Of all things after 50 people were slaughtered, keeping advertisers happy would not be high up on my list.

I’m not suggesting wall to wall coverage, the time for that has passed as you say. The first post-cabinet meeting media conference after the shooting was always going to have news value - and it did. It was taken live on radio. Today (Tues) would have been the day to start pulling back but I think the first working day (in a traditional sense) post the attacks there was always going to be movements worth reporting on in an extended manner.

5 Likes

It’s events like these make me miss TVNZ7 and the natural capacity it had to cover events like these and all of the things we might miss in the aftermath.

Also, have there been on-air or online Te Karere updates? I know the program was cancelled on Friday, obviously.

3 Likes

Te Karere only came back on yesterday. Scotty Morrison was live at Christchurch. They have been posting relevant updates on Facebook

I finally got the open from the AM Show up from yesterday. Had render errors.

2 Likes