Christchurch Mosques Terror Attack - Coverage

Of the reports from John Campbell I have seen they have been nothing but heart warming and touching.

4 Likes

Jeremy & Hilary are live in Christchurch tonight for Seven Sharp

Wendy Petrie talking to reporters from CNN International, BBC World News & CBC News

6 Likes

The Project is on Three, There is a studio audience tonight. Kanoa Lloyd is reporting from Christchurch and in studio tonight is Jeremy Corbett, Jesse Mulligan, Nadine Higgins & Patrick Gower

Here is Seven Sharp with a new bug “They are us”

4 Likes

Some caps from the afternoon news bulletins today.

Nine Sydney

Seven Adelaide

Newshub’s Mike and Melissa, and Kanoa Lloyd of The Project seen in the background of Geof Parry’s live cross.

7 Likes

There are so so many journalists from across the world on the ground in Christchurch. I genuinely can’t call to mind a story in New Zealand that has gotten this amount of attention. Maybe the earthquake?

Intriguing to observe as a media enthusiast here.

6 Likes

Media Watch tonight on the Christchurch attacks and how the media have covered it.

I’m afraid I disagree.
It’s time to get broadcasts back to the regular schedule. It keeps advertisers happy and it’s important for those affected psychologically to have things return to normal as soon as possible after an event. Also the breaking-news nature of the event has passed, there isn’t really any need to see the PM’s Press-conferences live.

Of all things after 50 people were slaughtered, keeping advertisers happy would not be high up on my list.

I’m not suggesting wall to wall coverage, the time for that has passed as you say. The first post-cabinet meeting media conference after the shooting was always going to have news value - and it did. It was taken live on radio. Today (Tues) would have been the day to start pulling back but I think the first working day (in a traditional sense) post the attacks there was always going to be movements worth reporting on in an extended manner.

5 Likes

It’s events like these make me miss TVNZ7 and the natural capacity it had to cover events like these and all of the things we might miss in the aftermath.

Also, have there been on-air or online Te Karere updates? I know the program was cancelled on Friday, obviously.

3 Likes

Te Karere only came back on yesterday. Scotty Morrison was live at Christchurch. They have been posting relevant updates on Facebook

I finally got the open from the AM Show up from yesterday. Had render errors.

2 Likes

3 Likes

I’m confused by the Sunrise claim here about the alleged mass murderer. He has already been charged with one murder and will undoubtedly be charged with 49 more. Those charges will not replace any possible terrorism charges.

Copied from @Salty above.

Simon and Wendy are again live from Christchurch at 6.

1 Like

As i understand it, he remains ‘the alleged’ until he is proven guilty by the judge/jury.
If he walks away from court with a not guilty (no matter how unlikely) verdict, Sunrise would be in trouble for making false accusations.
It’s a legal butt covering exercise.

4 Likes

Exactly. Made me chuckle a few years ago when there was a guy who “allegedly” attacked people at an Adelaide shopping centre but he was identifyable in the CCTV footage plastered all over the news.

1 Like

Does NZ terrorism law technically even cover firearm offenses? Bombings are the only thing I’ve glanced at.

1 Like

The Project opened straight with Kanoa live from Ashburton Domain.

1 Like
1 Like

This strikes me as just scare-mongering (the tourism bit) - that, or people are stupid

2 Likes