Children's television

Disgusting tbh

I’m sure the kids will live. They have a whole channel dedicated to them in ABCME and let’s not forget 10Peach’s 6am-12pm programming, ABC Kids and 9GO kids shows. There’s plenty for the kids. 7TWO’s kids programs are by far the worst of the bunch anyways.

Fair point, but its concerning that 9 and 10 may follow suit and the only kids option will be the ABC.

Oh well. Back when I was a kid all we had was ABC Kids from 3-6pm weekdays. They should count themselves lucky that they have so much choice now.

1 Like

7, 9 and 10 had children’s shows in the mornings and before that in the afternoons and mornings.

1 Like

Sure.

My point still stands. Even if all the networks cut their kids programming there is still plenty of choice around.

1 Like

Without quality children’s programming somewhere in the network lineup(s), where are the next generation of Seven, Nine and Ten viewers going to come from?

Most commercial TV viewers over the age of about 25 (you and I are probably among some of the last not to grow up with streaming) probably formed a habit of watching Seven, Nine & Ten because in the past, all three had some level of quality children’s programming on in half decent timeslots.

More recently, the treatment of children’s programming by the commercial networks has been nothing short of pathetic with shows generally being buried on second or third rate multichannels in timeslots that aren’t accessable to the audience. Totally Wild used to be on Ten at 4pm, now it’s airing at 8am on 10 Peach - kids aren’t likely to be able to watch the show in its entirety because many are probably heading off to school or sports practice on the weekend, etc.

3 Likes

Exactly. They’re signing their own death warrants.

3 Likes

They probably make them deliberately average and schedule them in the most inaccessible timeslot and hidden on a secondary channel, and then when the kids inevitably don’t watch, they justify any removal by saying “well nobody’s watching these shows anyway”.

No doubt Seven (and Nine and Ten) will continue to lobby for a complete removal of children’s quotas even once Covid has passed. They clearly don’t care for making kids programming but the problem is that today’s kids are tomorrow’s consumers and if they aren’t being provided for by FTA now, why would they bother when they’re older?

The ABC has shown that there is an export and franchise opportunity in children’s television. It’s surprising that the commercial networks looking for revenue opportunities have not followed their lead.

2 Likes

It’s too late for that now anyway. I don’t know any child that watches free to air let alone kids programming on free to air.

1 Like

i know my bfs nieces and nephews dont watch fta. its all netflix with the wiggles on or kids programs on netflix

1 Like

Exactly.

Commercial free to air TV might survive while many parents who themselves grew up on a diet of Seven, Nine and Ten are still watching, but surely it’s not in the industry’s interest to potentially have the next generation mainly tuning into only the ABC and/or SBS if they’re still watching traditional TV at all?

A great recent example of that would have to be Bluey, which has occasionally received ratings that rival the numbers for some primetime programs on Ten’s main channel!

3 Likes

Even further back when I was a kid, children’s television programming had the added benefit of allowing the networks to build a relationship with the young audience. I know I developed an emotional attachment to the Seven brand throughout the 1970s-'80s because of the array of appealing children’s television they broadcast in the morning and afternoon.

When I first came across this forum over a decade ago it was clearly evident others had the same attachment to the brand because Seven had nurtured that young audience during their formative years. That demographic wasn’t as well serviced by the Nine network in those days. Sure, they met their quota requirements but they were doing the bare minimum and didn’t invest in content that resonated with the young audience the way Seven did.

In 2020 the tables have turned. Nine is nurturing a relationship with the young audience through Go! while Seven is signalling a reluctance to engage with children by even scheduling a few appealing programs on a secondary channel in the morning. It is an extremely pathetic, short sighted move.

Any goodwill I developed towards the Seven brand in my younger years through their children’s shows and drama product has evaporated because of the contempt the F-wits running the network has for the audience these days. The shoddy scheduling, cheap-o copycat early evening shows and the endless pissing contest they engage in with Nine makes it clear they put the bottom line ahead of servicing their audience with entertaining content. I’m not at all surprised they’ve taken this short sighted approach. It makes me wonder how many viewers they need to alienate before they realise they can’t attract advertisers and make money if they don’t engage the audience.

6 Likes

In consolidated ratings it smashes all three networks. :wink:

3 Likes

For me it depends what you mean by children’s television. While ABC connects with children via dedicated programming, kids are still watching plenty of commercial TV because they are tuning in to the prime-time programs. Kids are watching just as much reality TV as their parents, tuning in to shows like I’m A Celebrity, Lego Masters, Survivor and Masterchef. Perhaps the commercial networks feels that they can better build a relationship with children through these shows than afternoon programming.

1 Like

Isn’t that the exact reasoning/justification they’ve used to argue that the children’s quota should be removed?

Not sure how recently this change was made (I’m sure the previous graphics were still used when I last checked a couple of weeks ago), but it appears that Toasted TV on 10 Peach has got themselves some new graphics. Seems like they’re trying to go for a younger audience going by this look:

Also, does the left hand not know what the right hand is doing at the children’s TV department at Network Ten? Because here’s the latest Promo Endtag for Scope:

…which is now outdated, because Lee Constable’s final episode (aside from a few guest appearances to ease viewers during the transition) of Scope aired on April 19. Yesterday’s episode was guest presented by regular Scope contributor Joel Gilmore, so I presume next week’s will be the first for new host and Questacon alumni Isla Nakano:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, it isn’t just the scheduling and promotion for kids shows on commercial networks that is appalling, the quality (for the most part) leaves a lot to be desired. I hate saying this but most of the local children shows on commercial TV (with perhaps the exception of It’s Academic, Saturday Disney/Kids WB when it was on, Totally Wild and Scope) have been lacking in quality and just isn’t appealing enough to watch. This is not just something that is happening in Australia alone.

Even in countries like China, where I grew up with well-known, iconic cartoons and shows, networks have now become incredibly reliant on their reality franchises and dramas that all the children programming is now full of nothing but cheap, second-rate cartoons and programs full of product placement and largely cheaper than chips. It’s sad to see what many in that country considered to be icons of their youth has now become a shadow of its former self. But sadly it’s becoming increasingly common for networks from different countries to place their focus on their general programming and sacrifice children’s programming for that.

That’s just my take on that.

4 Likes

Looks like the relationship is shrinking, based on Mediaweek’s interview with head of content, production and development Adrian Swift.

It must be said that Nine has commissioned many acclaimed children’s shows in the past 30 years like The Girl from Tomorrow and Lockie Leonard.

4 Likes

Don’t remember that one but Lockie Leonard was huge as was Mortified. They are still run on on iView and ABC Me.

1 Like