Children's television

Yeah the 6am-7am weekend slots on Seven / Nine were airing kids shows until sometime in 2018.

They were frequently pre-empted for extended 6am editions of Weekend Today/Weekend Sunrise. I used to complain about it without much support. This is what happens

Nine and Ten will almost certainly follow.

1 Like

Itā€™ll be very interesting to see what 10 do, considering theyā€™re the only network with an in house production unit.

Donā€™t Nine at Mt Coot-tha also?

If Iā€™m not mistaken, Tenā€™s in-house childrenā€™s production slate consists of Totally Wild, Toasted TV, Scope, Crocamole and Gamify.

Personally I wouldnā€™t be overly surprised if Ten hold onto their commitments to childrenā€™s programming for a little longer than Seven or Nine (similar to how Ten continued to air P/C classification shows on the main channel for a little longer than the other two did), but at the same time I think we may see one or two titles finish production by the end of this year.

Given his history of presenting childrenā€™s TV content which went to air during half-decent timeslots, I also personally think Drew Jarvis (heā€™s still Tenā€™s head of kids TV, right?) should be trying to get shows like Totally Wild, Gamify and Scope airing on 10 Peach in weekday afternoon slots rather than 8am weekdays and similarly inaccessable times for the target demographic!

2 Likes

They did. Then I think they tried againā€¦ I donā€™t think it lasted.

Crocamole and Gamify have wrapped. The P-class programs are only in production for 18 months, that generates enough for 3 years of quota-counting content (first run plus 2x reruns)

I hear rumours that another P-class program is in the works, but that could get nixxed pretty easy before staff are hired.

2 Likes

Ahh, interesting to hear.

Gamify didnā€™t seem to last that long though because it was only launched last year!

As much as I really hope this does not happen (the loss of jobs and peopleā€™s livelihoods in an increasingly shrinking industry is never to be celebrated), would you say thereā€™s even a chance that Totally Wild, Toasted TV and Scope could soon become part of Australian TV history?

Donā€™t know if there have been further budget cutbacks to the Network Ten childrenā€™s programming department for 2020, but I do wonder if those made last year are a contributing factor behind the departures of at least two (well, I presume the plans to get a new host for Scope are still going ahead anyway) presenters.

As I understand it, it was only ever an ā€œeventā€ series - pooling existing resources to make a really high quality show.

Donā€™t chalk Crocamole up to budget cuts though, Puzzle Play and Wurrawhy are recent memories productions that only lasted for 18 months. Then they wait another 18 months (while airing the show) before starting up again. The clue will be if they donā€™t start up again.

Tough to say, I hope not.

1 Like
1 Like

Have we seen ACMA seriously punish any broadcaster in the recent past?

2 Likes

New 5-part childrenā€™s live action drama Thalu, a co-production of NITV and the ABC, premieres on NITV on Friday, April 17 at 7.30pm.

1 Like

There were a few issues with parents saying toddlers need programming, but obviously they wouldnā€™t be watching ABC ME.

1 Like

They should bring back the abc education ident : https://youtu.be/zYLGJZkI2Pw

1 Like
1 Like

New Kids Programming Starts Today On 10 Peach And 10 Play.

1 Like
1 Like

Not that you needed any proof that Seven doesnā€™t care about childrenā€™s television, but theyā€™ve been quick to yank the shows off 7TWO in light of the governmentā€™s relaxed quotas during the current pandemic:

ā€¦and the far more important content taking the place of Get Clever, ZooMoo Lost and Toybox? Reruns of Auction Squad and Harryā€™s Practice from around the Early 2000s!

2 Likes

Those reruns are obvious placeholders if you ask me.

2 Likes

So why dump the other shows immediately?

1 Like

Just seven being seven

1 Like