Channel Nine On-Air Presentation: 2002-04

As Spring 2002 arrived, so did a brighter, more colourful On-Air Presentation package for Channel Nine. At 6.30pm on 1/9/2002, out went the darker look which had been the dominant feature of Nine’s On-Air branding since the start of Digital TV and in came what many enthusiasts regard to be possibly the best On-Air Presentation package that Australian TV has ever seen. A different colour was used each day which (initially anyway) also perfectly complimented the theme of Nine’s primetime programing that night.

Anyway, enough of the commentary. Let’s go to the caps!

Idents:

Promos:

AV Classification Warning:

Of course there are probably Media Spy members who might have more caps from this era, but that’s what I could find so far. That batch was from a couple of recordings of Channel Nine Sydney in July 2003, just for the record.

10 Likes

Here are some from my collection. These were recorded in Early 2004, (possibly February)

Ident:

Lineup: (Coming soon)

Movie Opener (Sunday): Coming soon

Classification: (coming soon)

Promos:

Production Closer:

Other:

6 Likes

Still my favourite On air look for any network in Australia.

5 Likes

Sunday Night at the Movies Opener:

Sunday/Red Ident:

Classification Warning:

7 Likes

Lineup(s): including two sponsored

9 Likes

Some more from my collection:

Next

Show themed Idents:

8 Likes

Caps from 11th December 2003

Promo Endtags:

2003 Christmas Ident:

7 Likes

I’d forgotten that The OC was briefly on Nine. Obviously wasn’t a hit with their then key demo of rusted on retirees.

6 Likes

Content from Nine Perth on August 13, 2004:

Promo Endtags:

Friday/Green Ident:

Friday/Green PRG:

4 Likes

Caps from Nine Perth on 22 & 23/12/2003:

Christmas Themed Lineup:

Short Chistmas Ident:

Promo Endtags:

6 Likes

Taken from Nine Adelaide back in 2003

PRG

3 Likes

Content from Nine Perth on 11/4/2004:

Sunday/Red Themed Special Presentation Opener:

Promo endtags:

Comedy Double Monday:

9 Likes

Other Caps from channel 9 Adelaide in 2004.

Wednesday Ident

Special Presentation

Adelaide’s No 1 slogan.

2 Likes

Shaun Micallef version. Taken back in 2003.

2 Likes

Promo endtags from Channel Nine Sydney on 8/9/2002:

Bonus
The World Remembers Promo:

4 Likes

Promo Endtags from Nine Perth on 20/9/2003

5 Likes

1st in South Australia Ident. Taken on NWS-9 Adelaide 2003

2 Likes

Content from Nine Perth on 4/9/2002

PRG:
Yeah, Nine Perth was still using the 2001-02 after the previous look was discontinued

Promo Endtags:
Dubious quality programming alert!

4 Likes

When I looked at the brand new look in 2002, I find this on-air presentation fantastic. This is by far the best that I have seen on Channel Nine.
Channel Nine has refreshed its sponsor billboards, lineups, PRGs. However, they still kept the classification billboards that is voiced by Ken Sparkes and Tim Elliott.

3 Likes

Didn’t Nine Perth for a long time (including into the early part of this millennium) use that over bevelled “gold Nine” PRG with a program title font dating back to the 1994/95 On-Air Presentation package? In that case, it doesn’t overly surprise me that they weren’t quick to update to the new coloured PRGs!

Great caps (except the dubious quality special program, of course).

Here’s a few more which I capped from some of the September 2002 Channel Nine Sydney recordings which Steve Rutherford recently uploaded to YouTube:

While the still frames don’t quite capture it, this promo for the NRL Preliminary Finals had rather high production values - probably something which would’ve looked absolutely fantastic in digital widescreen!

Earlier version of the Ident with ninemsn URL:

2 Likes