Central Coast Radio

Just listening to a bit of CoastFM 96.3 this afternoon, and unless I’m mistaken, their ‘Classic Hits’ music mix seems to be skewing younger these days.

Just in the past hour (5-6pm), I’ve heard:

• Snow Patrol - ‘Hands Open’ (2006)
  • Keith Urban - ‘You Look Good In My Shirt’ (2008)
  • Pet Shop Boys - ‘Absolutely Fabulous’ (1994)
  • Some track from James Blunt

Interesting additions to the playlist, especially Snow Patrol.

8 Likes

Correct @RFBurns , I recall in the Tabcorp era, a submission made to the regulator urging for this HPON in Gosford and sited at the track.

Was this offered years ago, Tabcorp being the successful bidder, lay dormant and returned/did not continue with the licence?

The FM conversion in Newcastle and Wollongong that saw those AM allocations become HPONs for the 2kY program (now Sky Sports Radio) resulted in a significant coverage boost up and down the NSW coast as both sites are quite well engineered.

A large, fortuitous coverage area ensues, well beyond the radius attached to each licence.

The 2KY signal is quite good and may be useable in parts of the Central Coast. If not, the Newcastle and Wollongong (Windang) signals often will fill in most gaps on the Central Coast.

Will the new licensee apply to ACMA to amend the LAP to co site at Chittaway Point?

Chittaway Point is a directional site, so there’s plenty of scope to phase a directional signal that suits the freq (protect on channel Esperance, Dalby and Hobart and adjacents 738 at Lawrence & Manjimup, 756 Taree, Wang & Metricup

3 Likes

Yes it was Tabcorp/2KY/Sky Racing who made a submission to ACMA to have this HPON created at Gosford from the Racecourse, but then when it was offered they never took it up, I don’t think they even applied, because they weren’t happy with the coverage restrictions on the licence, they didn’t think it was worth the setup & running costs for allowed coverage.

It was then again re-offered I guess it might have been 2 - 3 years ago, & again no interest in it from anyone, then it was offered a third time just recently, & picked up by seemingly Rete Itallia.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Where’s Whitto going?

2 Likes

Hi Radioman,
Coast FM have relaunched with new imaging lately, and alongside this have altered our clocks to include more 90s to Now songs (about one an hour). On top of this, presenters have two personal choices an hour (that have to fit daytime positioning of course). A few presenters like to stretch those boundaries from time to time!! :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

…21st September.

4 Likes

Damn that dudes been around the traps now.

3 Likes

Gawndy is leaving this year.

3 Likes

Good. He can do much better.

1 Like

He is moving across to SCA stablemate Triple M where he will EP the Paddy & Rob Palmer show from next year.

Lucas has been with SCA since 2019, when he kicked off as a producer of the Hit 101.3 Breakfast show with Daniel ‘Gawndy’ Gawned and Ash Pollard.

3 Likes

Another local breakfast presenter will leave at the end of this year.

5 Likes

Did we ever find out where Whitto went?

2 Likes

Has Sarah already left Star? Her image is gone from the podcast and the show page link is broken.

2 Likes

107.7 Central Coast Triple M turns 50 today.

3 Likes

1323 was the original frequency… the move to 801 happened in September 1986 and also saw the TX site moved from Ourimbah to Chittaway Point, and a power increase from 2kw to 5kw.

3 Likes

Already been discussed here

3 Likes

Right now they are airing a *50 Years" special, recalling memories across the 50 years, including airing old 2GO sweepers. Am guessing it started at 10am, hoping they put it up on their website when done.

3 Likes

Chittaway Point TX site is a well engineered site. A significant level of investment.

Was it worth it for just six years of use from 86-92?

It was long known Ourimbah in both location and frequency was a dud. So why so long to move from it?

2 Likes

I would say yes it was worth it, from Chittaway Point the 801 signal was strong into Newcastle, & lot’s of people around Newcastle started listening to 2GO, me included. I can’t remember why I & many others left 2NX or 2KO for 2GO at the time?

Ourimbah was shit for everyone, but even from Chittaway, 2GO still had problems getting reception at the Studios in Gosford, they had to put a radio receiver at the Transmitter site, then send the audio back down the landline for off air monitoring in the studios, because the off air receiver at the studio wasn’t reliable enough for the on air jock to use.

6 Likes