Central Coast Radio

I would’ve thought the reason why Star 104.5 has been the Central Coast’s #1 radio station in recent years is fairly obvious: Because unlike SCA and their “one size fits all” approach, Nova Entertainment does the right thing by providing a strong point of difference to their Sydney stations.

The “Other Stations” figure was close to 40% in last year’s Central Coast radio ratings survey, I personally suspect a decent chunk of that would’ve gone to Coast FM everywhere with Sydney stations like 2GB, Smooth 95.3 and WSFM getting a decent audience on the Southern half of the listening area with 2NUR-FM and maybe 2HD getting some listeners on the Northern half.

Can’t imagine New FM, KIIS, Nova, 2DayFM, Hit Newcastle or either version of Triple M getting that much of an audience on the Central Coast. Maybe 2CH might get some (especially post-Classic Hits relaunch) depending on how well the 1170AM/DAB+ reception is up there, but I highly doubt 2SM or Macquarie Sports would get anything on the Central Coast.

I must be the only one who thinks that Star FM is the Central Coast’s version of NewFM - trying to be everything to everybody, except they execute it well.

I hate it.

2 Likes

Also, now 2GO have tweaked their format, hopefully that’ll come through as a positive in the next survey results.

It’s good to hear 2GO be different to Triple M Sydney & Newcastle.

1 Like

Sea FM just played an entire news update from last night at 8am this morning.

2 Likes

And they’ve just done it again!

Once is a mistake, but twice! Is anyone in the building?

2 Likes

Not likely, they don’t seem serious about investing in the coast of late.

1 Like

Rabbit and Julie Goodwin are broadcasting live this morning on Star 104.5 for a special weekend OB morning show.

2 Likes

Can you blame him? Get off that leaky boat ASAP.

1 Like

Presumably this means the Sunday morning “This Week” show he co-presents for the Central Coast & Canberra stations with Gemma Maddox (someone else who I think has a very bright future at SCA in the future) has been axed?

Either way, I personally hope that Nic Kelly will do well for 2DayFM.

EDIT: @crankymedia, this one’s for you!

1 Like

Not got into Twitter, so thanks @SydneyCityTV for letting me know. That’s amusing, at least we know he reads here.

1 Like

Sea FM doing a “Hits and Old Skool 500” this week.

Network wide?

While 2Day is doing their Variety 500.

And Triple M just wrapped their 500 1/2 countdown.

This year’s ACRA nominees on among the Central Coast stations:

Best Music Presenter (Non-Metro)
Mike Duncan - 2GO

Best Newcomer On-Air (Provincial)
Erin Ramsay - Star 104.5

Best Promotions Director (Non-Metro)
Cassie Grentell - Star 104.5

Best Program Director (Provincial)
Shayne Sinclair - Star 104.5

Best Station Sales Achievement (Non-Metro)
Star 1045 Sales Team - Star 104.5

Best Station Produced Commercial - Single (Provincial)
Makin’ Babies; Matt Lygoe - Star 104.5

Best Station Produced Commercial - Campaign (Non-Metro)
Brisbane Waters Private; Cameron Horn, David Horspool & Ally Kallis - Sea FM

Best Station Promotion (Provincial)
Rabbit & Julie Goodwin’s Cash Call - Star 104.5

6 ACRA nominations for Star 104.5 this year.

1 Like

I just came across this forum and this is my first post.

I don’t understand why Mike Duncan is nominated. He’s awful on air and looking at last years ratings on RadioToday it shows!

I live at Bateau Bay and listen to all 3 commercial stations and the ABC a fair bit. StarFM is by far the best sounding station on the coast, shows and music are perfect and every shop I go in have them on. They connect well with the breakfast show they have with Julie Goodwin (going off Facebook). It would give Sydney/Newcastle stations a run for their money. 2GO is a living train wreck! Whoever schedules the music needs to be sacked. SeaFM is not bad but can’t stand their breakfast show. Gawndy is so up himself and Ash Pollard is on the nose (well that’s what my partner says).

Whilst I’m typing. Is the Central Coast in Survey? SeaFM are doing Alphabucks, StarFM are giving away $50000 and 2GO are giving away $19000. (It’s cute 2GO say it’s the most cash on the coast when their opponents give away 50K lol - I’ve had 2 people mention to me in my job it makes them sound desperate/lame).

I’m interested to see what most people think of Central Coast radio? I consume it a lot with my line of work. I was many moons ago a PD in Sydney and Brisbane but now live on the Central Coast.

Allan A.

6 Likes

Welcome!

I agree with you, Star 104.5 is the most listenable commercial station on the Coast to my ears as well. The region is well served in general, with 4 community stations as well, and options available from Sydney in particular, though ABC listeners aren’t as well covered, 98.1 News Radio for instance suffers from interference within the region.

It’s at least a more competitive market than up here in Newcastle whereby the 2GO and Sea sister stations, Triple M and Hit, rule the roost as the other 2 commercial stations in 2HD and NEW FM are not providing much in the way of effective competition.

4 Likes

Thanks Radiohead. Can’t believe I’ve just discovered this forum and I worked in radio for 23 years. I was on air a NewFM many years ago. I do flick to Newcastle Radio when I’m around San Remo and Toronto visiting clients. NewFM isn’t great. 2HD sounds stale. I do like how KO (sorry MMM) sound and Hit is basically SeaFM on the Coast (but Newcastle put to together better). Had a listen to CoastFM last week. Actually not bad. They sound better than 2GO. By the looks/sounds of it Nova have really done their homework with StarFM. Good to see the PD nominated for an award. I love how the music is put together. Hats off to their MD (if it’s done on the coast?). Also listening to their lineup, they’ve done great! Maybe not the right person on the Drive Show but I like how they don’t take any network from Nova.

Also it’s great to hear Bob Peters back on radio on the coast. He sounds amazing in the afternoons on 2GO. That in my books is the only thing they have going for them.

AA.

4 Likes

Ash Pollard posted on her social media yesterday that her SeaFM breakfast show now has a bus ad.

1 Like

Hey JohnsonTV. I’ve seen a couple of these ones as well as the drive show bus around Tuggerah shops. Probably for the past 6 months. I also see the Kennedy Molloy bus around but nothing for any other breakfast shows.

Do you think the breakfast shows on air now will be around in 2020?

AA.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

I must say that you’ve hit the nail on the head with 2GO. The station hit rock bottom last year and they are frantically trying hard to win back audience. I too did notice their Secret Sound having “the most amount of cash on the Central Coast”, and cant help but wonder why they are saying that. They must be assuming their listeners don’t flick around. I even hear Mike Duncan attacking their own sister station, Sea FM and their Alphabucks promotion. I’m perplexed as to how they are allowed to get away with it!

As for Star, I am friends with Shayne the PD (he lives in Bateau Bay too!) and will pass on your comments to him. He is a great guy who really knows his stuff. He has a great vision for music and will talk for hours on end about his strategy for Star FM’s music.

And yes, I’m pretty sure they are in survey right now.

4 Likes