Central Coast Radio

Hi mrworldwide, thanks for the welcome.

I’ve been on my back really sick and haven’t replied. I did listen to StarFM and 2GO the last few days. From what I’ve been hearing. 2GO is trying to close in on StarFMs music format but they execute it so badly. Thursday the music on StarFM was great with the flow and variety. Every song was ‘spot on’ (even though 1/2 are not my taste). I really like their Friday approach too. Very fun. Yesterday all I heard with every talk spot on 2GO was the the fire in the F3. That would only affect 1% of people listening. I assume the guy called Micki D is Mike Duncan. I was in Newcastle when he was ok KOFM and he sounds washed up and to be honest needs to retire to greener pastures. I’m sure he’s nice but not the person if they want to beat SeaFM and StarFM. I think they must be in Survey and I wish them all good luck. It must be tough only having 2 surveys a year.

Please pass my congratulations onto Shayne. He schedules the music like he’s done it for a lifetime.

I do see SeaFM in the market a lot more then 2GO and StarFM. But I remember when I was in Brisbane that’s always a budget thing.

As I type this I’m hearing Pearl Jam into Tina Area on StarFM. Not what I would expect them to play! Very nice.

AA.

3 Likes

They only have 1 survey a year. But if you ask me, I think they should increase it to 2 per year, and maybe GfK could take over doing the Central Coast ratings surveys from Xtra. After all, the Central Coast’s commercial radio stations are a lot more competitive (particularly between Star & Sea) than in Newcastle, where Triple M & Hit are #1 & #2 no matter what, given its commercial competitors (New FM & 2HD) are far behind, often beaten by JJJ & ABC Newcastle.

I’ll look forward to when the latest Central Coast radio ratings come out, probably sometime next month. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Dear Allan Surname Not Supplied,

I will tell you why Mike Duncan is nominated. It’s because his current industry peers believe, according to his entry, he is one of Australia’s best music presenters over the past 12 months.

Your personal attack on someone you clearly don’t know, or have any insight into the person’s history of enormous success on the air and off shows why you’re no longer in the radio business and worse still, shows you have low emotional intelligence, low courage and integrity.

Little wonder you’re no longer a Program Director, these attributes are critical to success in leading a team of broadcasting professionals and clearly you fail on those counts.

Mike Byrne

1 Like

And what’s your title now the young’un from 2DAY has taken over your job?

1 Like

Mike Byrne. There’s a name I haven’t heard in a while. I was talking to someone at KOFM yesterday and they mentioned to me that you were sacked.

As for my last name. Avery. Allan Avery. I’ve got nothing to hide and obviously my comments (which seem to be general consensus) hit a nerve.

Can you not publicly admit on this forum that 2GO is a train wreck? I don’t get it? Where your former station 100kms up the road sounds 20 times better.

When I was talking to your former colleague at KOFM yesterday they said to me that the award mentioned above is not judged by industry peers but music company executives. Which makes a lot of sense and explains why average announcers get nominated. I remember the RAwards were rigged (cause I judged some) and assume ACRAS are no different.

I’m catching up with a former colleague who works at 2GO Monday night. I’ll fill you in on everything then.

Take a deep breath Mike, you sound a little wound up.

AA.

5 Likes

May or may not be music execs, but what we are sure all aware of is that judging for the entire ACRAs lack integrity with a high number of questionable winners (no names, repeat names, favoured names) and even great number of questionable material that is submitted to first gain a nomination.

People turn up to awards nights to talk shop and keep up appearances but all know that the ACRAs are far from quality in decision making to that of the Walkleys or Quill, even for the news categories.

For the record of those who handwring over such trivia, I’ve never submitted a nomination because I’ve never worked in this sector and am glad for that.

1 Like

Only 1 Survey per year? That should be fixed to at least 2 or 3.

Anyone have any predictions on how this book will end up? For me purely going off the shows and music plus tactics and engagement.

1. StarFM
  2. SeaFM
  3. JJJ
  4. 2GO
  5. ABC

As for breakfast I think SeaFM will drop significantly. StarFM will rise enough to take top spot and 2GO will gain purely based on Akmal not being there. My breakfast predictions are.

1. StarFM
  2. SeaFM
  3. 2GO
  4. JJJ
  5. 2GB

I had a look online and can’t find anything about the Central Coast survey coming up.

Would anyone know dates and the day results come out?

AA

1 Like

Crankymedia.

I couldn’t agree more with the ACRAS.

Commercial Radio Australia should hang their heads in shame and address this. It was always discussed even when I worked in the industry all those years ago and I can only assume it’s talked about today.

I did a little looking around this morning with some of the nominations and their actually survey results. I’ll post about this later.

It’s purely mates helping mates.

ACRAS = Zero integrity.

AA

1 Like

Coast FM has a new-look website, an improvement from their previous look, which was still dating back to their “Easy Mix” days prior to January 1, 2019. It finally mentions their “Classic Hits” positioner that’s been in place since the beginning of the year.

4 Likes

As seen this morning

3 Likes

I find Star FM painful. Julie Goodwins fake laughing is painful to listen to. Though, there music has a good mix, so if I’m listening throughout the day, it’ll probably be Star FM.

I find Sea FM easier to listen to in the morning though Ash Pollard can get annoying when she tries to sound like some sort of Kath and Kim bogan Australian woman.

I think it will be tight. Star FM does more community type events (e.g. shows from schools) and they have stability with Julie & Rabbit who have been there for a while and are well known.

Sea FM (Gawndy & Ash) seem to have billboards everywhere I look at the moment and their ‘alphabucks’ segment is a hit.

4 Likes

The problem is, SeaFM is a poor mans 2Day (c. 2013). If we want that, we can hear KIIS or other Sydney stations.

Star will always do better because they are given the freedom to be different to the Nova Network.

The only way Sea and 2GO will succeed is if they are allowed (along with SCA Gold Coast stations) to sound different to the rest of the network.

Sea should go local at least 6am-6:30pm weekdays and 2GO should be local around the clock.

Let’s see what changes (if any) come after survey. I somewhat doubt anything other than staffing and a rebrand to Hit101.3.

I predict Sea will do what GC did and switch/announce a rebrand towards the end of survey as an excuse/deterrent to a flunk in the ratings.

4 Likes

Yeah, I reckon Star 104.5 is likely to be the Central Coast’s #1 station by a considerable margin. I also think that if Coast FM 96.3 was a surveyed station, they’d probably be one of the top five.

SCA need to realise that with their (and other) Sydney stations receivable across much of the market, Sea & 2GO can’t be too similar to 2DayFM & Triple M 104.9 respectively. Although somehow, I actually wouldn’t be massively surprised if we’re talking about a rebrand to Hit 101.3 and/or Triple M 107.7 sometime in the next 12-18 months.

2 Likes

And they would only do it to flood the market a-la Craig Hutchison style.

1 Like

Harsh but honest Al, probably what we need to see however Bob Peters should stay for mine, he’s great to listen to but unfortunately the music is all over the shop and repetitive. All the SCA regionals need to be given a license to roam free if they wish on the music front but unfortunately it’s all about cost cutting in this business these days.

2 Likes

Hi nzwarrior51. I’m a fan of Bob Peters. He’s great on air. By far the best announcer on 2GO. They should put Bob Peters on breakfast doing a music focused show. I met Bob many years ago at 2WS. True gentleman.

I’m also a fan of Dave Evans on StarFM. I personally think he would be one of the best daytime announcers on the Central Coast / Newcastle. Is he based at StarFM or from a Nova station somewhere?

I had a listen to StarFM breakfast this morning. It’s a really good show. Julie Goodwin’s laugh is a little too much but bearable. I think that’s who she is. The show seems real and no ego.

What is SeaFM doing on air for this Survey? I heard Aplhabucks yesterday and just giving away $1000 and vouchers to somewhere.

AA.

2 Likes

By the way. Is Jess Hardy on StarFM the Jess from the Big Brother TV show?

She’s sounds fun and very warming on air.

AA.

1 Like

Yes she was a former Big Brother contestant and did breakfast on Snow fm during the Ski season of 2018. She was so good on air that Star 104.5 snapped her up after her short contract at Snow expired.

Sunday night wine and port in my shed and having a flick around on the radio. It’s ok I’m on holidays.

StarFM do take a Nova show. I heard Fitzy and Whippa on at 9pm. I like the Oz show but don’t know who Scott is?

Does anyone know? I think he said Scott Brian?

AA.

1 Like

Then suddenly… “AA” goes very quiet…