CBS News

Anthony Mason from CBS This Morning: Saturday is replacing him temporarily according to the LA Times

1 Like

Livestream of James Comey testimony.

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/18921847_10209308447252725_3058003849637782894_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=ce078f43ff249f8c03a55f984d2dac69&oe=59AA42F4

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/18921937_10209308446932717_7054331573832577274_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=e61d71f4fa6e93cf95e1e8e6ff78db7f&oe=59E7D5C5

1 Like

Final bulletin for Scott Pelley tonight in the US.

This is my last broadcast for the CBS Evening News. We hope this has been something of a lighthouse for you to help you with your bearings in a stormy world.

To the men and women of CBS News, my profound gratitude. Your nights away from your families, your 12-hour days, the days you risked your lives to bring light into the world, leaves me humbled. Our audience can and should take your work for granted, but I know the measure of your sacrifice.

James Madison once wrote that freedom of the press is the right that guarantees all the others. The stakes are that high. And you are the best we have.

Monday, Anthony Mason will be here, backed by the same team that has carried me these six years. The broadcast will have never been better.

And, I’ll be at 60 Minutes.

So, for all of us at CBS News all around the world, goodbye and good luck.

5 Likes

CBS News has announced a new editorial and newsgathering partnership with BBC News, ending its current deal with Sky News. The new partnership is effective immediately.

1 Like

CBS This Morning has update their graphics. A bit different with the spacing, but I think it looks good.

New

Old

Website with more you can look at if you want to.

6 Likes

CBS has a knack for uglifying good design. It’s just change for change’s sake.

1 Like

Interesting thread I stumbled upon here.

Imedi TV in Georgia (the country) has updated their morning show, with a pretty much identical set to CBS This Morning. No word if they have the same designer, but it’s a pretty well done copy if not.

imedi

Video of set and program.

9 Likes

Even the fluoro yellow graphics are grabbed from CBS.

That said, this would look terrific at Ten Pyrmont :wink:

4 Likes

You mean the future home of Gordon-Murdoch Mega Corp?

Jeff Glor named new anchor of CBS Evening News…

5 Likes

I was having a look at all three major news bulletins online the other day, and I was just thinking to myself, is CBS Evening News where it is today (3rd place in ratings) because it is too formal and too boring?

1 Like

It became the way it is now when Pelley took over from Couric - they spun it as a change back to “Hard News”.
IMO, Nightly News is too soft and features too many fluff pieces these days.
World News Tonight seems to strike the right balance between hard and soft, and that’s evident as ABC this year had the #1 Nightly newscast ahead of NBC.

Maybe when Jeff Glor takes over as permanent anchor well see a better balance between the two.

2 Likes

I think American news services (at least ABC, NBC and CBS) have their main anchor as their managing editor as well, do they get a say at what runs in their bulletins?

1 Like

Yep, that’s right! Holt, Muir, Woodruff (PBS NewsHour) & previously Pelley are anchor and managing editor of their respective broadcasts. It’s also common at many o&o stations.
“Managing Editor” means they get power over what’s featured and when.

1 Like

I wish some Australian anchors can become the ‘managing editor’ or the likes. Might prevent some tabloid stuff from making the bulletin.

1 Like

They are. And it would make no difference. Don’t you think the anchors want the big ratings too - seeing as their salaries depend on it?

I agree! It would add a whole new depth to the bulletins knowing that the person delivering the news thought it to be important enough to tell it to you the way they want to.

Not really - Australian news presenters still have to answer to their newsrooms Director of News - that’s who decides what makes the cut and what doesn’t.

2 Likes

Which explains why some Australian news stations are full of tabloidy junk (Hello Nine News Queensland and Seven News Sydney!!!)

2 Likes

Might explain why Seven News Sydney has gotten so trashy since Ian Ross and Chris Bath left…

2 Likes

wonder if they wil apply the same thing here to 10 news and make it the same cbs platfrom