Carols in the Domain

Like the Salvos… who are doing much to support bush fire victims and are the recipient of funds raised by Carols each year?!

I thought they struck the right balance. Having the event continue and also regularly mentioning and taking stock of the situation around the nation.

3 Likes

I suspect staging it on a Sudnay Night was a failed experiment. I hated that move because it wasn’t friendly to those wanting to come from out of town.

The official reason for the changed was “To allow more families to come” No it was all about TV Ratings for Channel 7.

What’s the chances that they were booked and paid for several months ago?

Have to say this is the first time in many years that I didn’t watch, so everything I’m saying is coming from information I have gotten second hand but it sounds to me like it was a complete fart in church

1 Like

A lot of people complained that Sunday Night was difficult to have a late night out, when they had to work the next day. Which is fair enough if you’re travelling an hour or more to get to the city.

1 Like

Why don’t we just cancel everything then? I’m sure they would have been able to do something on the night and through the corporate backers as well as maintain Christmas spirit and help the less fortunate (under normal circumstances). Why does the so called solution have to be “Let’s Cancel It” every time which only gets blood boiling for those who want to be able to help and celebrate at the same time?

5 Likes

Because most of those saying “Cancel It” don’t have the brainpower to come up with a solution.

With the announcement that Adelaide’s Carols By Candlelight has been cancelled, you’d have to imagine that Carols in the Domain in virus-riddled Sydney (well, the situation is currently worse here than in SA…) is likely to be cancelled for 2020?

If by some miracle the event does go ahead, I’d probably expect it to be in a considerably reduced form! Although knowing how the format of CITD hasn’t really evolved much in decades (different sponsors and Channel Seven personalities as hosts, but that’s about it really! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), I reckon they could get away with replaying an old telecast or doing a “Best of” special.

1 Like

Virus riddled Sydney? Please. Cut the dramatics.

6 Likes

Since its hosted by the Sunrise team (or parts of) for some time now, why not just have them host the Carols from “Brekky Central”? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Is that you, Annastacia?

This year could be called: Carols in the Theatre or Carols at ICC

4 Likes

First (and hopefully last) time Carols in the Domain is held indoors.
I do feel it could have been possible to enforce social distancing in open parklands, by making it a ticketed event like the Christmas Pageant at Adelaide Oval.

5 Likes

If there was a TV event that could easily be cancelled for the year with a repeated telecast or “Best of” special airing in its place, Carols in the Domain (along with its Melbourne equivalent) is it. Pretty much the same thing each and every year aside from changes in host, sponsors and radio simulcast partners every so often which most people outside this forum probably couldn’t care less about.

Although now we know it will still be going ahead this year in a modified form, I wonder if Kochie will still wear an “absolutely amazing” outfit!

2 Likes

Why do you wanna cancel things when they can easily go ahead in a Covid world?

2 Likes

Because it’s obviously not his favourite lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s just he also wants NSW to have more restrictions for no reason too. Just curious why he wants to cancel or contain things when we don’t need to.

I guess he has a point regarding this considering we should never be complacent. But I also think if the situation is under effective control for the timebeing then it is time everything gradually returned to normal. If the situation changes, apply the restrictions.

3 Likes

I don’t know if the current situation in South Western Sydney is “no reason” to put major events on hold for the time being.

Carols in the Domain has been a staple of Channel Seven at Christmas time for over three decades now. Presuming that the footage still exists and that music rights also permit for the replaying of performances among other things, I think it’d be better to do something like a “Best Of” show which can still incorporate “new” cross-promotion, product placement and The Salvation Army Christmas Appeal plugs.

Current situation? It’s literally 0-3 cases a day. That’s nothing. Not to mention the fact they know where every single case has come from. It’s really nothing to worry about. Come back to me when we start seeing 15 plus cases a day. Then we’ll talk. Until then. It’s business as usual living in the Covid world. Social distance and washing hands. No need for any further restrictions.

Surely it’s less risky having Carols in the Domain outdoors in a park than indoors in a theatre.

4 Likes

Indoor they can at least temperature check anybody going into the venue and can also notify anyone who grabs a ticket if a case happens.

At the Domain less chance of that especially if people do Christmas shopping beforehand you’d basically have to put an alert for anything in the main shopping area (so Elizabeth Street through to QVB down to Wynyard) train stations (Museum and St James and potentially Wynyard) plus the bus routes. So, have a repeat of the CBD gym cluster we had except on a bigger scale.