Carols By Candlelight

Simon Owens and Philip Brady will host 3AW’s coverage from 6pm AEDT. Sunday Herald Sun’s Fiona Byrne will interview performers backstage.
The carols will also be simulcast on Macquarie Sports Radio in Sydney and 4BC.
For the second year in a row, Vision Australia Radio will provide an audio description of the carols. It will also be available to people attending the event.
https://radio.visionaustralia.org/about-us/radio-news/2019-cbc-on-var

1 Like

My thoughts on the Carols by Candlelight:

• Since 1956, Channel Nine televised the Special Carols event on Xmas Eve through to 1968. Between 1969-1978, Network 10 televised Carols. In 1979, Carols returned back to its spiritual home, Channel Nine.
  • Good casting–Denis Walter has been singing Carols by Candlelight for 4 decades. He has been a fantastic contributor in singing and worked in 3AW, which was part of Nine Ent. Co.
  • With Sonia Kruger moving back to Seven, Allison Langdon will be hosting Carols by Candlelight along with David Campbell. Allison Langdon is a preferable choice over Bec Maddern (IMO).
  • Ratings–Carols by Candlelight rates very strong, especially in the east coast and even Adelaide market.
2 Likes

:rofl: Which is also the spiritual home of Married At First Sight.

I didn’t know Nine (or GTV9 in particular) showed the Carols in the 1960s.

Do you think we will see Karl host carols with Ali ‘This Time Next Year’ ?

The first Carols by Candlelight televised on GTV9 was back in 1956. During that year, GTV9 Melbourne also commenced operations. That year was the 19th year of the Carols by Candlelight being held in Sidney Myer Music Bowl.
GTV9/Nine Network has been strongly associated with Carols by Candlelight, with Channel Nine Melbourne being the strongest market out of the 5-city metro. Channel Nine has televised Carols by Candlelight for the 41st consecutive year nationally.
I also think of Delta Goodrem–she has performed Carols on numerous occasions (as she was the Voice judge). But this year, there will be no Voice Judges singing on Carols (though there will be Diana Rouvas, 2019 Voice winner performing on stage).
As well with this, it was broadcast live into eastern Asia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands.

I wouldn’t be so sure. Perhaps @TelevisionAU can confirm via his archive of guides.

3 Likes

My favourite time of the year. Merry Christmas to everyone on MS!

8 Likes

Ally is quite great. Perhaps the change Today is needing in 2020?

1 Like

Yes, enjoying Ally as well.

3 Likes

That Santa looked and sounded familiar…

Stephen Hall of Mad As Hell fame?

GTV9 broadcast Carols in 1956 as part of its test transmissions.

Primarily a radio event, through 3KZ, it was not shown on TV again until 1969, on the 0-10 Network. Nine took it over in 1979.

4 Likes

David and Ally are struggling with foldback, you can hear them slurring mid-sentence at a few points.

Pretty sure Denis was heckled at one point too, poor bloke

2 Likes

Seems to be some feedback or echo with some of the performers too. Then others are perfectly fine.

Is Carols by Candlelight a cross promotion for Neighbours tonight? Rob Mills, Bonnie Anderson, Natalie Bassingthwaighte, Jason Donovan, Christie Whelan Browne.

Some great performers, but poor selection of songs… very few “carols” and lots of unknown Christmas songs.
Some versions were woeful… Anthony Callea… Mary’s Boy Child was terrible. And that microphone was OTT as always… and wearing a karate uniform!!

1 Like

I thought he was a mummy with a couple of loose bandages.

1 Like

Why not? We need to hear these unknown Christmas songs more often. Organisers of Carols in the Domain should take note.

1 Like

Garbage. Not for me, thanks.

Goes too long. Show ended just before 11:30PM AEDT

1 Like