Carols by Candlelight (Adelaide)

Mind you, Adelaide’s isn’t really a televised ‘tradition’ at the moment. This event wasn’t broadcast between the early 2000s to 2013 (I have an old VHS with 2000 Adelaide carols), and nothing again for 2015. Even if it were broadcast every year, it would be pretty hard to match Melbourne’s version due to the Christmas Eve factor, IMO.

I haven’t seen that many promos for the Monday broadcast this year, so this doesn’t help. There was a plug for the event itself (not the Monday TV broadcast) during various 7 News weather crosses in 4pm and 6pm Friday bulletins and evening updates, though:

2 Likes

Why don’t they broadcast it live?

Really not sure! Maybe CH7 doesn’t allocate enough time for the broadcast? Last year, a number of songs were cut out of what was televised the following day. Channel 7 tried a live broadcast in 2014 and there were a number of issues, and the concert was shorter. With The Christmas Network (activeTV) onboard since last year, maybe they should try to do it live again just as they do with Carols in the Domain. That said, I’m happy that they broadcast it at all :slight_smile:

Here’s a 2017 promo for the Monday TV broadcast:

2 Likes

While Adelaide saw the carols broadcast on Monday, December 11, all of Australia can watch it on 7TWO on December 24 at 3 pm (source: Foxtel guide).

There were a couple of retakes on December 10, such as the host introduction after the first song… apparently they were using the wrong set of microphones. Mary’s Boy Child and the subsequent TV broadcast outro were reshot as well, as Dami Im missed the cue to start singing. I don’t think anyone in the crowd minded though with another chance to sing along! :slight_smile:

The opening animation is basically the same as last year with the artists names on a Christmas tree, although the background is red now:
cbc-adelaide-carols-2017-opening-artistscbc-adelaide-carols-2017-opening-logo

It was pretty cool being in the front row this year! There was a fixed camera at the rear of the stage pointed at the crowd. The audience was also set back a little bit further as there was a camera crew roaming around in front of the stage. Real candles have made a return after years of battery-operated led versions, even with the a similiar (probably identical!) red candle holder as is seen on Carols in the Domain.

I put together some random clips from the crowd, such as what happens in the commercial breaks (and sorry for the unsteady camera at times… it is rather difficult to keep it still and hold a lit candle at the same time :wink: ):

Adelaide’s carols is available on 7plus now, or you can catch it nationally on 7TWO from 3pm on Christmas Eve (followed by a Carols in the Domain replay).

2 Likes

Adelaide’s Carols by Candlelight will this year take place on a Saturday night, December 15:
https://www.facebook.com/adelaidecarols/videos/10156527932548482/

Looks like we’re following suit with Carols in the Domain’s move (back) to Saturday:

For as long as I can remember, our Carols have traditionally occurred on a Sunday even when Carols in the Domain used to take place on a Saturday.

It will be interesting to see whether the night will be taped for a Monday night broadcast (like last year) or if it will be broadcast live in SA.

3 Likes

This year’s Adelaide Carols will be shown on Channel 7 (Adelaide) on Tuesday, 18 December at 8:30 pm, over 2 hours (with ads).

QBE Carols By Candlelight 2018
Elder Park plays host to the 2018 QBE Carols by Candlelight. Hosted by Rosanna Mangiarelli, Mark Soderstrom and Amelia Mulcahy.

The concert will actually take place from 8:15 pm to 10:30 pm on Saturday, 15 December. The event does pause during ‘breaks’ but I wouldn’t be surprised if a song or two are chopped from the televised version. I assume these carols will be shown nationally on 7TWO closer to Christmas.

This year’s artists:

• Hugh Sheridan
  • Hans The German
  • Samantha Jade
  • Paulini
  • Isaiah Firebrace
  • Taylor Henderson
  • Amber Lawrence
  • Big T
  • Travis Collins
  • The Cast of Aladdin The Musical
  • Mirusia
  • Jay Laga’aia
  • Girl Nation
  • Young Adelaide Voices
  • Adelaide Philharmonia Chorus

The winner of an Adelaide ‘search for a Christmas Star’ competition will also take to the stage this year - Scarlett Anthony, 19.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/scarlett-anthony-19-is-winner-of-the-otr-search-for-a-christmas-star-and-will-sing-at-the-qbe-insurance-carols-by-candlelight-in-adelaide-on-december-15/news-story/395964f1ecd57324e57fbc3f92ba2c3e

5 Likes

Hmm, looks like Samantha Jade, Paulini and Isaiah Firebrace (at least) will be appearing at both the Adelaide & Sydney carols events.

2 Likes

Tonight’s SA carols broadcast has been shifted forward to 7pm, straight after a 1 hour 7 News bulletin.

The promo below aired prior to the time change:

Last week, there was also a spot on Today Tonight with the search for the Christmas Star competition winner:

As far as the carols themselves, from a live crowd point of view the 2018 production felt tighter. New this year was a secondary presentation area in the crowd where Rosanna, Amelia and Mark introduced a number of artists from. This left the main stage free for the artists to walk on & prepare.

Here’s a bit of a teaser I recorded from the crowd… starting with a soundcheck of the orchestra and choir. PS: Remember to look up before standing in case the crane camera is above head :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (no I didn’t head-butt the camera… but it came mightly close to some other people in the crowd)

2 Likes

Adelaide’s 2019 Carols by Candlelight will take place this Saturday evening. It’ll be broadcast on Channel 7 Adelaide one day later, from 7:00 pm Sunday. According to the EPG, the televised version will run for 128 minutes (with ads), ending at 9:08 pm.

This year’s line up (in no particular order) includes:

• Silvie Paladino
  • Sky Ingram
  • Jack Jones
  • Rachael Leahcar
  • Amber Lawrence
  • Ella Hooper
  • Shannon Noll
  • Isaiah Firebrace
  • G-Nat!on
  • Sam Moran
  • Harrison Craig
  • Young Adelaide Voices
  • Adelaide Philharmonia Chorus
  • (…and of course, Santa)

1 Like

Saw this video tweet by Rachael Leahcar this evening. She performs at the event almost every year.

1 Like

If you are outside South Australia, the carols event is being simulcast on a pop-up channel at 7plus from 7.30pm to 9.25pm AEDT today.

1 Like

Some caps of the Carols from the replay today:

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing caps of the carols broadcast :grinning:.

I took some of my own (random) photos at Adelaide’s carols and a few of them seem worth sharing.

Elder Park during the day and carols broadcast advertisement on the outdoor screens:

Secondary presentation area (well, the back of it!):

Fireworks, Santa with Sam Moran plus Amelia, Mark and Rosanna hosting the evening concert:

3 Likes

1 Like

For the second year in a row, Carols by Candlelight will be held as a virtual event. Novita CEO Greg Ward said the event could not be held at Elder Park due the impact of the pandemic and restrictions on large gatherings preventing it running in its traditional form, following “comprehensive discussions” with SA Health.

The virtual event will be hosted by 7News presenters Mark Soderstrom, Rosanna Mangiarelli and Amelia Mulcahy and broadcast on Seven in Adelaide on December 12.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/city/carols-by-candlelight-will-be-a-virtual-event-for-the-second-year-running/news-story/f636ddb8d818c04099fec2a0749583c7

UPDATE12/12: the virtual event, sponsored by Kangaroo Island ferry company Sealink, will now be shown on 7TWO in South Australia at 7pm tonight. In other states however it will air on 7TWO at the earlier time of 4.30pm today.
The special will also be available on 7plus.

2 Likes

Caps:

6 Likes

Is this played around the nation on Christmas Morning?

2 Likes

Yes, it will be shown at 11.30am nationally on Christmas Day.

3 Likes

Seven’s Christmas Day line-up is here

Including

07:00 AM Woolworths Carols In The Domain 2021 Rpt
09:30 AM Alinta Energy Christmas Pageant 2021
10:30 AM 2021 Mayor’s Christmas Carols
11:30 PM Sea Link Carols By Candlelight 2021

2 Likes