Car Radios

Mazdas are a great cars to drive, so test drive it however try to get extra time with it on the test drive. That was my mistake, I did not sit there and scan the stations etc. It sort of unexpected a radio not working 100 percent. Mazda may have fixed it with the later versions of the MZD.

2 Likes

By the time Iā€™m ready to purchase a Mazda 2 maybe any issues with the DAB radio will be sorted out

1 Like

And Bluetooth apparently. There was a great episode of Reply All where someone wrote to them saying the podcast 99%Invisible caused MZD Connect to freeze and eventually reboot itself.

1 Like

Great podcast. If I had of known this I would of considered sending my problem to them. But they sound US based so no DAB to test :slight_smile:. Its very similar problem. 9C is fine, yet 9A/9B had issues. But sometimes 9A was ok, but it was mostly not good. :slight_smile:. Did I confuse you? I have a lot of theories but difficult to prove. It was too technical for the folk at Mazda. They were more focus on the aerial wiring than the software. The software they donā€™t really have control over.

Itā€™s not often car radio reception improvements are touted as an improvement in car model updates, but itā€™s the case here with the newly refreshed Mazda6

ā€œApple CarPlay and Android Auto are also rolled out across the range, and the audio system now pulls in FM radio signals through a secondary antenna for improved reception and sound. According to Mazda, this second antenna cancels out noise from the VHF signals being bounced off buildings and other solid objects.ā€

From here:

https://www.motoring.com.au/price-hike-for-updated-mazda6-diesel-dropped-118668/

1 Like

Good find. Would be nice if there was similar focus on receiving DAB+ and for those in the country, AM.

2 Likes

Yes interesting. I assume they have now fixed the dab radio. :laughing:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen a demo Mazda 2 Maxx for sale on Carsales ,2019 model with DAB radio,around $20000 .Wish I could afford to buy itšŸ˜•

4 Likes

Plenty more depreciation to go, itā€™ll be cheaper by the end of the year for starters. Hang in there.

4 Likes

I manage to sit in a CX5 today and swapped the station to SWR the performance was not as good as the kia. Around the Hoxton park area my car radio in the Kia Carnival no obvious issues (I often drive down that way), the Mazda was unlistenable at a set of traffic lights at Cowpasture Rd and North Liverpool Roads. Also some issues in patches around Marsden Park.I never listened to SWR in my old Mazda 3. I only became a regular listener for about 1 year. So the secondary aerial sounds like its needed. To be fair, it might have been interference from the dash cams etc. The driver normally listens to KIIS. It seems to have no issues. The real test is always tuning into community radio.

2 Likes

Any recommendations for a car radio to replace my stock cassette era one?
Iā€™ve been looking at the Sony DSXA416BT, donā€™t need it do anything fancy other than FM radio and bluetooth.

Itā€™s a shame that manufacturers have stuck with the same designs for decades.
Same with GPS units that havenā€™t seemed to have left the previous decade (I admit because navigation on phones have succeeded them but thatā€™s a legal no-no for L/P platers like myself).

1 Like

Does your dashboard have a double DIN slot?

You could then get one with an LCD display and run Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.

They do cost a bit more though.

Yeah but it seems as though NSW law prohibits its use (for L/P platers) under its blanket ā€˜any function of a mobile phoneā€™.
https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news/are-you-breaking-the-law-using-apple-carplay-and-android-auto

1 Like

You can actually purchase a head unit with all those features (via USB or SD card) for less than $20 (yes, thatā€™s right - $20) these days, which I quite frankly find astounding.

From what Iā€™ve heard, they actually have very good sound quality (though performance on AM is pretty poor). In the late 90s, Blaupunkt actually was somewhere between Alpine and Pioneer. Oh, how the mighty have fallen (they sold the name to a Chinese corporation which pumps out junk).

Another option might be an Android head unit (not to be confused with Android Auto), which is a device which runs a completely independent Android system as its operating system. You can find various models (with the typical Chinese brand quality) online.

These are NOT illegal to use as a P plater in NSW because they do not have mobile phone functionality - they only use cellular data for stuff like GPS or streaming music. Youā€™ll need to purchase a separate 4G USB modem for it to work (any USB cellular modem will work in general), but they will fit the bill.

I personally prefer Android Auto head units because they are usually more stable (and these Chinese head units usually have certain quirks and bugs), but if youā€™re stuck with no other choice for getting a GPS head unit with music streaming, Iā€™d recommend something like this:

3 Likes

Iā€™m pretty much set on getting the Sony unit if going for a standard head unit. It has AM which is bonus.

I looked at the double DIN units running Android themselves but obviously put off by the unknown quality. If I go that route Iā€™d want to for navigation in Google Maps (or Android Auto not needing the phone if they support it). I wonder if they support getting internet from another android phone using tethering (instead of creating a wifi hotspot)?

1 Like

They probably would support it, but technically that would go against the law for P platersā€¦

And yes, itā€™s pretty wise being wary of the unknown quality of these head units. Mine did have a few annoying quirks which needed sorting out, and certain apps ran really strangely because they didnā€™t support the horizontal orientation properly.

I looked at a 2016 Mitsubishi ASX today and took it for a test drive,it does have DAB radio and I was listening to Smooth FM ,If I do end up buying this car(subject to finance approval of coursešŸ˜•)I think I will be listening to DAB radio all the time while driving.

5 Likes

Yep I listen to DAB in the car 100% of the time here in Brisbane.

3 Likes

Not all ASXs have DAB radio I noticed,any manufactured before 2016 didnā€™t have it, Iā€™ve looked at a few on Carsales website . I know itā€™s a big vehicle for just myself but I feel very safe driving it ,and itā€™s cheaper to buy this one than a newer Mazda 2

3 Likes

Donā€™t worry if vehicles are big just for you, buy what you feel comfortable with - if that is the ā€˜bigā€™ choice out of your short list, go with it. Gut instinct is usually right.

Good to know the cut off for digital radios installed in them.

Mitsis are usually cheaper on servicing and parts than Mazda who are often closer to Honda territory for such costs.

3 Likes