Canberra Radio

Late last year or early this year, I think.

Even now though, the previous Mix 106.3 logo is still on parts of the website:

3 Likes

Despite the new Hit jingles playing at specific hours, which puts an image of the new Hit logo in my head.

1 Like

Which is what was happening in Perth (during network shows).

2 Likes

Looking at the playlist for Mix 106.3 today, they’re doing the “80s Hour” on Fridays from 12-1pm, whilst Mix 94.5 will have “RnB Fridays” in that timeslot. This would be one of those moments where Mix in Canberra & Perth go their separate ways, as Hit 104.7 already has “RnB Fridays”.

7 Likes
1 Like

While I agree with this point…

…would it not be unreasonable to predict that 60s/70s music may be dropped from the playlists of all music radio stations (not just FM ones) over the next decade or two? I mean, it has now been 41 years since 1979 and 60 since 1960!

That’s not to say that there aren’t great songs from the 1960s or 1970s of course, but “Classic Hits” is an ever changing, shifting format.

What I’d be rather interested to know is whether 2CC currently suffers from any interference from 2GF inside Canberra.

From a Sydney perspective, while it isn’t uncommon to hear 2CC’s signal at night I’m pretty sure that 2GF dominates 1206AM reception for the most part.

2 Likes

…would it not be unreasonable to predict that 60s/70s music may be dropped from the playlists of all music radio stations (not just FM ones) over the next decade or two? I mean, it has now been 41 years since 1979 and 60 since 1960!

Yeah you could be right. But I think the 60s and 50s was the start of pop music and could live on. Like Classical music lives on too. I wasn’t born in the 60s, I was too young in the 70s but still like some of the music from that era.

There should be still be a market. Elvis / Beatles / Elton John / Billy Joel etc should live on for the next 100 years or beyond :slight_smile:. Like Shakespeare does. Community radio in Australia more fill this gap if commerical radio doesn’t.

4 Likes

Personally I think 60s and 70s music has at least another 20 - 30 years being popular. 80s music will still be popular in 30 years. There just isn’t enough good music being made anymore to replace it. The massive hits of today just sound like run of the mill 80s songs :). And nothing that’s been made since 2000 is as innovative or groundbreaking as the Beatles or even Elton John.

5 Likes

Okay boomer

3 Likes

I’m not quite in Canberra but I do suffer some interference from 2GF at night, to the point where I can just about listen to Mr. India.

4 Likes

AM gets patchy (ie receivable but more rural grade reception) around Lake George going to Sydney? I’d imagine it would suffer some issues around there but it has been a while since I have been down there listening to AM radio in the evening :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

I’m not a boomer FYI.

I’m Gen X

What else you got? An original response perhaps?

3 Likes

I think there is some decent new material if you look hard enough…but as for chart music it was definitely better pre 2000. But I think even the obscure stuff of yore beats the obscure stuff of today, simply because it wasn’t allowed to rise to the top.

The proof is somewhat in the pudding, with retro acts riding a wave of popularity among the yoof.

Tying this back to Canberra radio…hmmm… difficult. I will have a listen to UCFM (when I can get the darn thing) to see if they dig up some classics amongst the new stuff.

6 Likes

What are they doing at Hit104.7? They’re obviously using the new network production and jingle package, but they’re still using the crappy old logo.

Mix106.3 has stopped using the “Music that makes you feel good” positioner. I heard Wilko make a smart-arse comment about it the other week about how they’re not allowed to say it anymore because of “the other station”.

Are they using the “Get That Feeling” stuff during the day on 104.7 or just overnight and during network programming (like 92.9 in Perth was)? Has anyone got any insider info about what’s happening there?

8 Likes

Where is Marc going to?

2 Likes

Okay, I answered some of my own questions. I’ve been streaming Hit104.7 today and they’re running all the new network imaging and jingles across the day, “Get That Feeling” and “Hits You Love from Then to Now” positioners. They have a local announcer, so it’s not like it’s being pulled from a network feed. Although, they’re still using a crappy old news theme.

So what’s the go Canberra FM? Are you planning on switching 104.7’s logo over to the new Hit logo? Or is there still changes forthcoming? Honestly, I believe the changes made in Perth make most sense for Canberra. Change 104.7 to Triple M (hello, the logo already exists for Adelaide Triple M) and align Mix 106.3 to the Hit Network. Even if they don’t change the Mix logo to the Hit logo (because of the ARN joint venture), Mix being a Hit station would fit better with it’s joint alignment with the KIIS network.

9 Likes

Over the Christmas-New Year break, between Boxing Day & Tuesday 5th January, 2CA had their Endless Summer 1000 from the Sizzling 70s countdown.

Here’s their song list: 2CA Endless Summer - 1000 From The Sizzling 70's - Canberra's 2CA - Forever Classic

3 Likes

:scream: that theme is a classic! Although they read the sponsorship over the best part of it, so all you really hear is the four beeps and the wave(?) sound at the end. The news theme on Mix is pretty bland though.

Pretty sure both channels been using their current themes for the best part of a decade now.

4 Likes

Driving back today to Sydney from Griffith and had a listen to Hit 104.7. The playlist sounded really good, and unlike any of the other Hit Network stations. At 12pm today all of the other receivable Hit / Triple M stations Wagga / Orange / Griffith were doing Concert in the Cloud.
Hit 104.7 / Mix 106.3 did not take it and instead ran their own music logs
Both Hit and Mix were jock free.

Is ARN taking a greater roll in the programming of these stations as Hit is not taking some of the SCA weekend music features?

Hit 104.7 is now advertising iHeartRadio to stream their station rather then the Hit app, and all the additional stations that can be streamed which the 100% own SCA stations are doing.

Something is going on in Canberra!!!

7 Likes

I wonder if the current Mix 106.3 news theme might be one that was previously used by other stations in what still would’ve been known (before becoming the KIIS Network mid-last decade) as the Mix Network ten or so years ago?

Not sure about others, but I’d probably prefer it if ARN had more of an influence in the programming and format of Canberra’s FM stations than SCA.

2 Likes