Cada (formerly The Edge 96.1)

The Edge is a technically a Blue Mountains / Penrith station, so I suppose moving to a full on metro station within the network would be seen as a step up rather than going backwards.

3 Likes

I’m not sure what’s happening at The Edge it’s only pure guess work from me, but they may have moved Mike E & Emma from Breakfast, as they are building a new radio station to possibly align it with a Grants Network format?

There’s currently lots of jobs going at The Edge, including almost every position to create a new radio station, separate to using the network staff from WSFM or KIIS.

All listed on the ARN Careers web site if anyone wants a job there.

6 Likes

Interesting thought. The thought also crossed my mind that they might have plans to change The Edge into something else. You’d have to think The Edge would be taking at least some potential KIIS 106.5 listeners in its current form anyway. If they could move some Edge listeners across to KIIS I’m sure they’d be pleased with that. Perhaps The Edge might eventually become a hub station for one of the regional ex-Grant networks (Star/Power/??)

3 Likes

Why would they be worried about KIIS? They are so far ahead of the competition.

Would they kill a successful The Edge in the hope of sending some of its listeners to KIIS?

4 Likes

It’s just a thought.

Are there any ratings that suggest The Edge is that successful? Do they do ratings for Katoomba? I can’t recall seeing any.

2 Likes

The DAB+ ratings for Sydney would provide the closest evidence to how The Edge performs.

In that survey, The Edge (listed as ‘Edge Digital’) had 73k cume.

2 Likes

How about Classic Hits 2KA?

2 Likes

Hell no, please no, I want the Edge to stay Urban or go full Dance.

3 Likes

I actually agree with you @TheChase , even though I don’t listen, the station fills a niche, there is no logical reason to change. However if there was a relaunch of the station a classic hits like 4kq would be great.

3 Likes

From what I read they have a new content director coming on board soon, Mike E from Mike E & Emma was the previous CD.

They are going to be focusing more on Urban music from my memory of the article I read.

4 Likes

Completely off air currently (online stream up) seem to be having a lot of issues with their Tx of late.

3 Likes

From B&T’s interview with ARN’s Chief Content Officer Duncan Campbell:

Conversely, do you think you could try and attract an under 25-crowd?

We are working on that with The Edge 96.ONE. [We will] focus on taking The Edge national. It commonly services the western suburbs of Sydney, but it can be heard through three quarters of Sydney. It’s been many things over the years, but it’s currently used as a spoiler for the demos on Nova.

[The Edge] is a dance, hip hop and R&B format, and it’s very popular with the core we’ve got. We wanted to take that offering and make it more of a national platform. And I think we’ll certainly attract younger audiences, which ARN don’t have in great numbers at the moment. That’s the plan for next year.

Apart from the fact that the station is already available on DAB+ in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide & Canberra, I wonder how The Edge will go national onto its FM stations, particularly with KIIS Melbourne, Mix Adelaide & 96fm Perth, as well as their newly-acquired regional stations.

6 Likes

I feel that they will take it in a direction like Flava or Mai in NZ and have a networked side of things, then have select local shows like breakfast.

2 Likes

That sort of format is too niche in a regional area.

5 Likes

I can’t see them rebranding KIIS to The Edge? Maybe The River might be relaunched as The Edge? I don’t believe they will change other stations. I agree with @NRN11 it is too niche for regional areas.

The priority would be is to rebrand 97.3 as a pure gold station once they sell off 4kq. If they could negotiate with the buyer to get the rights for the 4kq brand for the 97.3 FM freq then I think it will be a win for the network to retain the audience. I am kind of assuming SEN will buy the frequency up :slight_smile:

4 Likes

They should’ve had The Edge106.5 back in the Mix days.

I doubt they’ll do it now.

Also, I don’t see why they wouldn’t take Mike E and Emma national with the network?

They are the perfect fit for that demo. Not some “know it all” music jock.

My prediction is it’ll be Mike E and Emma on KIIS Nights.

4 Likes

I 100 % agree.
The Edge is a lot better name then KIIS or Mix. I would of named the KIIS stations The Edge and rename The Edge as Urban FM or something similar to that.

3 Likes

How about Edge nights with Mike E and Emma on the KIIS/Regional CHR network?
Don’t know how that would work in Sydney with both stations though.

2 Likes

Do we have a source for the idea they’re staying with the network?

ARN has removed them from its list of talent on its website…

3 Likes

I have noticed the Nova network have introduced quite a bit more dance and new music to the playlist in the last couple of weeks.

I wonder if this a blocking strategy for the upcoming changes to the Edge, and whatever way Duncan Campbell try’s to take the Edge national.

Maybe after Duncan Campbell stated The Edge is used to block Nova, I wonder if Nova entertainment are now taking the Edge 96.1 more seriously?

3 Likes