Cada (formerly The Edge 96.1)

Given they aren’t surveyed, it’ll be difficult to determine whether it is a failure or not.

So long as advertisers are happy, that is all that matters.

2 Likes

They’re surveyed in every metro market?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t count the DAB+ results as much as I’d count the 96.1FM results.

2 Likes

Clearly no one in Hobart is listening on DAB, it’s so low in audio level its unlistenable…

5 Likes

Is it failed?

2 Likes

They’ve made a lot of changes since its inception and they’re not really following the manifesto that they declared when they launched CADA: ‘Australia’s home of hip hop and R&B’. Notably, they brought back club and dance music after a few months including a new show called Footwerk on Friday nights. They now promote it as: ‘Feel Good Mix of Hip Hop and Throwback Vibes’.

2022 The shows when they launched:

• 6-9am Kian & Yaz
  • 11.30am-1pm The Hype, K-Sera & The Dirty Dozen
  • 1-3pm Helena Ellis
  • 3-5pm Keeping Up with Avneesha
  • 5-6pm Flex & Froomes

Weeknights 6-8pm

• The Hype, K-Sera & The Dirty Dozen Mondays
  • B Wise, By Your Side, Tuesdays
  • Throw It Back with DJ Klasik, Wednesdays
  • PENG with Soju Gang & Dijok Mai, Thursdays
  • Welcome to The Area with DJ Ziggy, Fridays

Weekends

• The Sleep In with Marty & Nat, 11am-2pm
  • Double Dip with Andrew Levins

2023 The shows now:

• 6-10am. Kian & Yaz with Avneesha.
  • 11am-3pm. The Hype-Up with Helena Ellis.
  • 3-5pm. Flex & Froomes.
  • 5-7pm. K-Sera & The Dirty Dozen.

Weeknights 7-9pm

• B Wise, By Your Side, Tuesdays
  • Throw It Back with DJ Klasik, Wednesdays
  • PENG with Soju Gang & Dijok Mai, Thursdays
  • Welcome to The Area with DJ Ziggy, Fridays

Fridays 9-11pm.

• Footwerk.

Weekends
No shows now.

4 Likes

Really? Another positioner lost to this “feel good” over used garbage?

6 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

Not suprising to most people. Most of us said it from the start.

7 Likes

Anybody remember when the edge had 2 stations on DAB?

Edit: can’t think of the name of the second one off the top of my head… it will come to me, it played better tunes than the simulcast of 96.1

2 Likes

Don’t remember it in Melbourne. Could it have been a Sydney only thing?

At One Stage, there was The Edge 96.1 and Edge Digital which had different programming for most of the time, except that Edge Digital carried the Edge 96.1’s breakfast show and certain special programs like Smash Time Radio and countdowns. Also Edge Digital was time shifted in Brisbane for part of the year and Adelaide.

Later, Edge on DAB+ in other cities just carried The Edge 96.1’s programs, including Sydney traffic reports, Sydney ads etc.

4 Likes

The edge digital, that’s right… that was a hectic station. I was devo when they cut that from multiplex.
How much DAB allocation do ARN have in every capital city?

@ron12 “Edge on DAB+ in other cities just carried The Edge 96.1’s programs, including Sydney traffic reports, Sydney ads etc.”

That’s a bit risky… wonder if that was just something that may have been overlooked or intentional :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yeah I believe so, ARN only rolled out edge digital to the other capitals it had DAB allocation. The playlist was alot fresher than what was being played out on 96.1 at that time.

Wasn’t the best of ideas to offer the Sydney DAB market a choice of both flavours of the edge IMO…

3 Likes

CADA breakfast and drive shows axed. Plus “…many more employees at CADA have also been made redundant, less than two years after the station rebranded from its previous name, The Edge.”

3 Likes

It really comes as no surprise to me. The Edge used to be great and didn’t need fixing. The Cada rebrand to a heavier emphasis on hip hop and more throwbacks made absolutely no sense. The changes to the format were unnecessary and unpopular.

While they have since tried to change the music format again (and have practically reversed most of the changes, like bringing back dance and club music), it still sounds awful at times.

Whoever thought those social media influencers would be good radio hosts should be sacked. They need to train people up to be radio hosts before they are given a Breakfast or Drive slot.

9 Likes

Hear, hear.

1 Like

Sad to hear about any job losses. Hopefully there’s a chance they revert back to the previous music format.

Was always strange having pre-recorded podcast-like shows in prime spots like Flex & Froomes too.

3 Likes

Hear hear:

4 Likes

I wonder if these redundancies are to pay for the K&J new contract? Axe Melbourne Breakfast, and Breakfast and Drive on CADA and other non air positions too.

Everyone knew that there was nothing wrong with The Edge. Mike and Emma were popular. I wonder if the current breakfast show was getting the same ratings as M&E. National ratings did not increase so the CADA relaunch was a flop.

4 Likes