Broadcast Facilities

Well, not Ten, but SCA have become the latest to move their broadcast ops base. Joining the new entity NPC Media in Sydney.

1 Like

as I understand it, TEN pres is getting a major refit.

4 Likes

Well I sure hope so, this ‘box’ of an MCR in Ten’s Sydney broadcast ops area looks terrible and dated (image from mid 2010)

1 Like

I believe the MCR is being upgraded now, but not in any major structural way.

CBS are going to build film and TV production hubs in Toronto i think it said. More sound stages and more job opportunities.

@OnAir

1 Like

Thanks.

7 Likes

Have been meaning to take this pic for a while.

WIN Newcastle sales offices.

The satellite dish out the back of the old KO/NX studios next door to WIN is still there and barricaded off.

4 Likes

Any news on whats happening with BCM (HSV7)?

1 Like

I’d believe the timeline in BCM transitioning to NPC for presentation/playout etc will be between Feb-April.
However things get delayed so could imagine it being later.

3 Likes

Not TV but thought I’d ask it here.

I notice that the third back-up site for Melbourne stations 3MMM and 3FOX has moved from Eureka Tower to the Rialto Building.

Given that Rialto is shorter, does anyone here know why? Apart from the obvious site rental costs.

Must have been a pain to move the antenna from one to the other. Also wonder why no one else has ever thought of using those sites for back-up.

2 Likes

Haven’t they always been in the Rialto?

2 Likes

It was listed as Eureka in the ACMA database for a while.

I’m sure it was listed as Rialto before that though. Perhaps they were planning to move to Eureka, but never happened for some reason?

Could be. Maybe someone here knows what the story is

Interestingly the height isn’t a factor for other transmitters in the CBD. DVB-T inner-city is at 600 Bourke St and DAB+ is at 101 Collins St.

Are 3FOX and 3MMM the only FM stations with backup transmitters in the CBD? I think all other commercial FMs (if they have a backup) are at Mt Dandenong. Is the ATV tower still the main site for most commercial FMs?

I would say because they aren’t designed to cover ALL of Melbourne, only the inner north and west for the DVB-T one or the CBD for the DAB one, so they don’t need as much height.

3 Likes

And in a new development… the 3FOX and 3MMM Melbourne city back-up site is now listed by the always accurate (ha!) ACMA as being at 101 Collins St.

So that’s three different buildings in as many years.

Oh and none of the other Melbourne commercial FMs have back up sites anywhere away from Mt Dandenong

The 600 Bourke DTV site is only an infill translator for a very limited number of inner northern suburbs. Runs next to no power and very directional. The coverage from it is so poor that it can barely be received 2km from it without a reasonably high gain antenna. It’s a bit like “why bother”.

And the 101 Collins DAB+ service is an on-channel repeater site for the inner city only.

All the Melbourne commercial FM stations apart from 3MEL (Nova) and 3PTV (Smooth) broadcast from the old ATV 10 tower, with backups elsewhere on the mountain.

5 Likes

600 Bourke was only set up to address a localised issue of DTV reception for homes in the shadow of the CBD (i.e. north and west) that had difficulties with Mt Dandenong, wasn’t it? By the time you’re out past Kensington it really isn’t an issue as much, so it’s a very localised issue. I remember it being discussed in the earlier days of DTV

2 Likes

It’s looking to me like that ARN and SCA have just swapped over again, with WS and KIIS at Artarmon and Triple M and 2DAY at Gore Hill as the ARN pair are stronger for me now than SCAs.

2 Likes