Broadcast Facilities

Maybe happening sooner than I thought. Although these things will take a long time and we’ve been told it’ll be next year, probably the last thing to stop operations at Seven Melbourne before the facility closes altogether as the AFL have bought it. Plus they need a new facility. It’s also been indicated certain executive/ management staff from Seven’s existing broadcast department will be retained or offered new roles.

Here are the job positions vacant that Bob refers, which add some further interesting detail: Master Control Operator
Presentation Coordinator
Ingest Operator

I’ve heard April 2019.

1 Like

Another thing I thought about, what about Seven’s archives / servers holding every historical content from the late 1950s? I take it all that will be transferred to Frenchs Forest somehow? (e.g.) original masters of iconic shows like Blue Heelers, very old VFL footage from HSV-7, old famous news footage, filed stuff, etc etc.

And didn’t someone say here a lot of Seven’s archives / servers are now based at a facility in Brisbane or something?

due to space at HSV, the archives were moved to BTQ last year - further indication that the stations don’t plan to leave their free-rent accomodation on the ‘hill’.

3 Likes

Somehow missed seeing this in Nine’s annual report last month.

1 Like

NPC - Nine Playout Centre?

Don’t forget that a lot of historical footage is now gone anyway.

1 Like

So now that NPC Media is a separate entity, I wonder if Ten will outsource their broadcast ops to there or MH now too?

No…Ten pres and master control staying in house.

1 Like

I think SCA is a possibility to outsource playout as they will eventually have to move out of their Watson studios in the ACT as the land is scheduled to be redeveloped in about threeish years.

1 Like

At the moment and for the foreseeable future, yes.

But it wouldn’t overly surprise me if at some point, Ten, SCA and SBS (who I’m pretty sure are/will soon be the only remaining FTA broadcasters not entirely reliant on a third party facility) decide to outsource the playout of their TV channels to MediaHub, NPC or some other third party playout facility.

I thought SBS wouldve been with ABC at MediaHub? Since CBS ownership has happened with Ten, I’ve heard Presentation will be upgraded. And if anyone knows…is master control still at TVQ in Brissy Ten?

Naturally Planning Centralisation :joy:

Nah, National (or maybe Network) Playout Centre most likely.

I think SBS are, not 100%. But again, with 7 & 9 fighting ten for their share in TXA and - like sales - there’s no way CBS would allow competitors to control it’s product.

As for TVQ Master Control, I hear it’s been very quietly centralised to Sydney while all staff have been redeployed in the business.

This is actually incorrect. The afl hasn’t bought BCM, the owners of that building which Seven lease have sold it and the plan is that AFL house will move to a plot of land that the government has essentially gifted them.
The BCM site will be home to a new hotel which the AFL can use the ballroom of for functions. The existing afl house site will be utilised in the Etihad stadium (now marvel) extension project to the waterfront.

SBS outsourced playout to Deluxe in January 2015.

2 Likes

My God, can you imagine the uproar that news.com.au would make if they decided to outsource?
CBS CULLING NETWORK RESOURCES AHEAD OF MAJOR RESTRUCTURE

2 Likes

Cool thanks for the info :+1:

1 Like

Well in that case, I stand corrected! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Time for a new avatar?

4 Likes