Broadcast Facilities

Not sure what local TV production would this cater for?

1 Like

The hero sentence is incorrect “Located at Hemmant, 15 minutes from Brisbane’s CBD

While later

Strategic location in Brisbane and good access to Airport precinct, Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast via Bruce Hwy and Gateway Motorway:
o 15mins/14kms to Brisbane Domestic (via M1)
o 13mins/12kms to Brisbane International Airport
o 25mins/15 kms to Brisbane CBD (via Lytton Road)

3 Likes

I’d say it’s more likely to be used for movies and the like than domestic TV.

Originally reported that Series 2 of Harrow could be produced there.

2 Likes
2 Likes

This is probably the best thread to post this following article.

7 Likes

I wish they’d get people who know what they’re talking about to at least look over this stuff and make it technically accurate

1 Like

Story from the Hobart Mercury when the original ABC Broadcast Tower was demolished on 24 January 1997.

6 Likes

Thanks @hora27fm

Yep! The tower is (or was, until they corrected it) “radioactive” according to that article.

How much signal loss would there be through the concrete considering all the broadcast antennas are housed inside the structure?

Just found this Stuff article on the Sugarloaf Transmitter above Christchurch (NZ). Has a few decent photos and brief history. Some of the comments aren’t as stupid as normal either - bonus!

3 Likes

Sweet FA, the antenna section at the top would be covered with fibreglass Radomes, there’d be no antennas inside the concrete section.

4 Likes
2 Likes

TV Tower adjacent to Channel 10 that carries Brisbane commercial TV, radio and DAB hit by lightning in the last couple of minutes

4 Likes

Incredible shot.

Out of curiosity, would that impact the transmission of DVB and DAB at all, by any chance?

1 Like

I had a DVT tuner going and DAB radio on at the time and it had zero effect.

3 Likes

I guess those towers would very much be designed to cope with lightning strikes, given they protrude so far into the air

4 Likes

And that they have a greater financial capacity to make them more protected against lightning strikes compared to regional and community radio/TV stations.

1 Like

The Ten tower gets hit a lot. It’s nothing new and well suppressed.

3 Likes