The Great British Bake Off** Ch4 9.7
I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here!*** ITV 9.0
Planet Earth III** BBC 8.9
Strictly Come Dancing** BBC 8.5
Death in Paradise BBC 8.3
Unforgotten ITV 8.2
Wild Isles BBC 8.2

All 28 Day full series unless otherwise specified

*These events are the highest TX (not part of a series)

**28 Day data but missing later episodes (full series 28 Day not yet available)

***7 Day data only for part of series (28 Day not yet available)

PS - I prefer the UK system of just one entry for each program that is an average rather than entries for each day a show is broadcast plus finals and winner’s announcements.

3 Likes

I was trying to work out why these weren’t larger, then I remembered that it was pretty well blanket coverage over multiple channels

1 Like
1 Like

The season 2 premiere of The Tourist was beaten by the opening episode of ITV mini-series Mr Bates vs. the Post Office.

1 Like

People preferred the Aussie Outback from season one over Rainy Ireland? :open_mouth: :joy:

Mr Bates v The Post Office really is excellent and a worthy story to be told.

TBH I was quite surprised The Tourist got a second series and if it wasn’t for Jamie Dornan attached it probably wouldn’t have. It didn’t rate too well in the overnights for the first series but did quite well on the iPlayer. It was poor though and basically a 90 minute film stretched out over 6 hours.

I find that to be true for a lot of series. I often think they could have told the story in 4 episodes rather than the usual 6/7/8 episodes.

1 Like

And in the case of many US shows they could generally have told the story in one series rather than seven!

I probably will give it a watch but Mr Bates v The Post Office and The Traitors will take priority - might be something I look at the weekend.

In other rating news Jeopardy, which has pretty much zero brand value in the UK, got 2.2m viewers for it’s premiere at 5.45pm on New Years Day. It’ll inevitably drop for it’s second episode moving to it’s regular 4pm slot - and TBH just can’t see it succeeding at all.

Whilst fans of the US version appreciate it, although think it’s a bit slow (I thought it was nicely paced myself), to newbies to the show like myself it felt very dull and was pretty poorly produced with no clear audio identity, poorly legible fonts and no buzzer noises or tension beds. It was a show right out of the 60s and it told - and a bit arrogant of producers to put it on to UK TV expecting it’s US TV history to carry it. ITV is absolutely the wrong channel for it too - C4 or C5 might get away with it, but not the home of Tipping Point.

Stephen Fry was excellent though. I assume Nine intend to air the Aussie eps he’s recorded in primetime?

The BBC has come under fire from the palaeontology world for ‘airbrushing out’ the man who actually found the huge pliosaur at the centre of documentary Attenborough and the Sea Monster, which premiered in the UK on January 1. More than 2,000 signatures have been recorded on a change.org petition to have the pliosaur named after Philip Jacobs, who was named only as a “fossil enthusiast” towards the end of the program.

An Australian broadcaster for the documentary is yet to be confirmed.

Update 13/1

I think that Nine will pick up this series as usual.

1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes

It’s a one off special. These are usually on ABC.

1 Like

Ofcom announced on Monday that it had bolstered Channel 4’s all-white board with five new non-executives, only one of whom was a person of color.

Tech entrepreneur Tom Adeyoola has joined the board alongside Warner Records UK head Alex Burford; Sebastian James, the CEO of retailer Boots; ad industry veteran Annette King; and Debbie Wosskow, who sold her tech startup Love Home Swap for $53M in 2017.

As well as ethnic diversity, there are questions over the regional diversity of the board hires. All of the successful candidates are based in London except for Boots boss James, who lives in Kent.

Ofcom stated in its job specification that successful candidates must: “Demonstrate an understanding of the diverse needs of viewers from across the UK’s nations and English regions”.

As for the rest of Channel 4’s board, no director is based in the north of England, where the broadcaster has a national headquarters in Leeds. There is also no representation from individuals based in Wales, Scotland, or Northern Ireland.

Video

You’ve paid for your ticket - whether it’s a plane trip or train ride, why shouldn’t you get comfy?

But is it ever okay to put your feet on the seat?@edballs might have answered that question already 😅 pic.twitter.com/6VW01DeQ5M

— Good Morning Britain (@GMB) January 17, 2024
1 Like

The Oscar-winning actor will portray Dr. Jim Swire, who tragically lost his daughter Flora in the event and has worked with his wife, Jane, to seek justice for the victims’ families ever since.

1 Like