British Television

2 new news channels will launch in the UK in the next 6 months:
GB News, backed by Discovery - and News UK TV owned by News Corp

https://www.cityam.com/gb-news-promises-boldly-different-tv-channel-as-it-secures-60m-funding/

3 Likes

What a name

2 Likes

I Have a feeling it will just be “News UK” verbally. I think they are using the “TV” right now to distinguish from the parent media groups “News UK”

3 Likes

What’s the bet one or both channels will close within 2 years of them launching?

I just can’t see how 4 UK news channels can not only all co-exist long-term but be financially viable

8 Likes

France has 4 24 hour news channels plus 4 local 24 hour news channels too. So most big cities have 5 24 hour news channels.

Argentina has 6

Just a bunch of old white men, perfect for that trash.

1 Like

Most likely GB News and News UK will merge if they can’t make it on their own. ITV tried their own ITV News Channel but that only lasted 5 years. It will be interesting to see where Sky News pivots, the BBC will have the straight news market sewn up which leaves not much room for Sky News.

GB News, which promises a “boldly different 24-hour television and digital news service”, is expected to shun impartiality

And will be treated extremely well (not) by Ofcom as a result.

Chief executive Angelos Frangopoulos

Ah.

4 Likes

Wonder if they’ll look at integrating some of TalkRadio or Times Radio into this

2 Likes

I’m hearing lots of things on News UK TV.

• studios being built now in The City
  • a 4-5 hour program block in evenings looped for the remaining 19-20 hours a day
  • Piers Morgan possible show
  • a primetime panel show called “The Smart Cast”
  • News UK Has not secured slots on Sky / Freeview etc (GB News, has)
3 Likes

So the next morning there will be just stale news available to watch.

4 Likes

Initially they are launching in primetime with an eye to expend to a full schedule later on

Considering the primetime schedule will be panel, debate and opinión and call in shows, it’s not essential it be viewed live

BBC, ITV, Sky and GB News will all be providing “live” rolling type news in the Am. I Guess News UK sees it as a point of difference to offer something different in the morning and expose their best product to a different Audience with an eye to then hooking them Into primetime

2 Likes

I suspect that they’ll be based in the “News Building” where the Wireless Group and the newspapers are - Sky’s city studio were based out of there until late 2019

Although I’ve noticed that Sky News (UK) are really making a big deal about having their breakfast program come from their Westminster studio - perhaps they might try and find somewhere closer to Big Ben

1 Like

Thats it yep

1 Like

Oh yeah. On Ilkla Moor Baht 'at, baby!

20210118_131510|690x476

2 Likes

Not from London…but in colour nonetheless.

4 Likes
1 Like

Channel 4 reverted its presentation to the 1980s for an all day takeover to promote a new drama called ‘It’s A Sin’

They tried to emulate the continuity tone style as well:

(for reference)

6 Likes
1 Like
1 Like